Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm a 17 year old female who is doing my cbt very very shortly. After I have completed my test, I want to get a bigger bike, but restricted. I have looked on womens motorcycle groups, and the CBR400 seems to be a popular bike. I'm not a fast rider, but I do like a sporty look. I'm 5' 5" roughly, and 8 1/2 stone and quite long-legged, but just wondering what people thought of them, and whether or not they are easy to ride? I've ridden 125 off road bikes before, and also been looking at suzuki GS500f's, however I think maybe a 400 may be a better step, than straight to a 500. The only problem, is that due to the riding position of the CBR, it may be harder to do all my checks, rather than a sit-up bike. I would appreciate any comments! :) thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
:welcome: Rosie...

The 400 would be a perfect first 'big' bike for you.. When I was looking for my first big bike I wanted a sport bike too, rather then the 'normal' girls bikes and I absolutely love mine.. I've quite happily ridden my 400 in all weathers for the last 2 years, although my poor 400 has now been relegated to my [email protected] weather bike as I have a Fireblade now..

The 400's have a low seat height so you will be able to flat foot easily, which definately helped my confidance no end when I first started riding her.. They corner brilliantly will motor along quite happily, even when restricted.. I get 40 odd mpg out of mine so they're not too juicy to run either..

They are easy to maintain. Parts are still readily available for them (don't let others tell you they're not) and I've never had any problems getting anything for mine.. There are a few niggles with them but don't let that put you off.. They don't like sitting for long without being ridden and can be a pig to start if they do sit. Spark plugs must be changed at least once a year as they don't like grubby plugs but, other than a fuel pump failure which was down to age rather than anything else, I've only had to pay for 'normal' servicing costs for mine over the last 2 years..

By the way I'm 5'3", about the same weight and with 31" inside leg.

·
Registered
134 Posts
First off my god loopy you have long legs :eek: I'm 6ft and I have 32" legs lol. (or are my legs just really tiny??)

Hey Rosie, I'm in a similar position to you but a bit further ahead. I've sat and passed everything apart from my module 2 test, and I bought a cbr 400 a couple weeks ago. My advise to you is definately go for it, I love mine and it is very easy to ride with enough power to put a grin on your face but not enough to make you scared of the throatle. As Loopy said its a great first bike big, and the fact it has a smaller frame will suit you well.

With that said I wouldnt advise you learning on it, not only might the riding position make it harder for you to do checks but slow riding on them is far more difficult. The turning circle on the cbr because it is a sports bike isn't great. What I've done is I sat all my tests on an instructors ER-5, to be honest there isn't much difference in speed between the bikes, despite the extra 100cc. (Probably due to the fact the cbr is set up as a sporty bike) The huge difference is the riding positions and turning circle make it a lot easier to handle for things like figure of 8, and U-turn.

I'd advise you to do the same as me, and use an instructors bike to do your tests and buy a cbr 400 as your bike for when you pass. Out on the road it is the perfect learning bike for post-test in my opinion. Hope this helps and keep us posted. :)

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
We need to see pictures of you to be sure the 400 is for you
:plus1: and :welcome: to the .Org:thumb: Friendly bunch on here with loads of experienced advice. I'm from South Wales originaly (get the odd ribbin for being Welsh) so post up some pics when you can :thumb:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome Rosie, good choice in bike but do look around first to see what they are going for, the main argument you may have to overcome is maybe the price of the bike, when a 15 year old NC29 maybe as expensive as a five year old (other) bike.

I can only second the others and say learn and take the test on a more upright bike. I know when I first gor my NC29 it felt like a bus at low speed and I still cant make the finer U turns I found so easy on a bike with upright wider bars, in fact I find its turning circle with feet up maybe four or five feet more than I could normally do, not good on a test. I have heard of someone taking a test on a NC30 so I suppose its possible if your good.

Im a short ass and find the bike ok and Im not even flat footed. You should be flat footed with a 32" inside leg so reasonably balanced at rest even if you have not much weight behind you. Depending on your arm length as the reach is fairly long, you may find head checks a little restricted due to leaning forward but you do get used to it, its something I noticed immediatly coming of an upright bike. I get around it if needed by not going right upto a junction line, gives you that bit extra viewpoint.

good luck on your CBT.

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Davez, Thanks for that. :) You've hit a lot of my main concerns! The one thing I am a bit worried about was the restricted view, especially when new to biking on the road. My dad has a 57 reg 600cc FZ6, fully faired which is really nice bike. He's not the happiest person on a bike, as he thinks about the dangers a little too much I guess. My mum and I were thinking that maybe it would be good to start on the fazer if he isn't going to use it, with a restricter kit, then maybe move on to a cbr with a little time. As I'm only 17, i'll have to do all my training and test on a 125 which is all provided by the guys i'm doing it with, and wont have to do test on CBR. I wouldn't mind just sitting on a CBR400 with all my leathers and helmet on to see if I like the position, how comfy I am on it, height, weight etc. So, if anyone in Wales/ West midlands has a 400 that would be willing to let me have a look at, I'd much appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
:eek: You're still doing U-Turns :eek:

I haven't done one since I passed my test :rotfl::rotfl:
Not unless theres no way out, like a 20 mile detour..

Rosie, I dont want to put you off as the CBR is a fine bike (I got one) but would (like your dad) rather tell you of things you may come up with when you buy a CBR or any sports bike i guess. BTW im a smidge over 5' and cope ok, wishes I had a 32" inside leg for sure. Sitting on a CBR is best described as sitting in it, not like your R1s bum in the air position, its low and wide as its an inline four with bits of plastic (air vents) that give it the extra width, feels bigger in width than a V4 NC35. Once your moving its just so comfy and impressive, you will get many admiring looks around town. Im sure there will be many lads in Wales who would let you try their bikes out for size.

While your learning can I tell you of a good DVD and book, its called "Twist Of The Wrist II" by Keith Code. Although very American and full of American style Acronyms it will teach you how to ride a bike smoothly and you will end up a better rider once the message sinks in. A very good book/DVD. Heres a taster, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAeFrk7CU_w

BTW a good read for the ladies is Loopys very own bike blog, linked in her sig.

If you have any more questions post back

dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mum is probably the main biker of the family, and has a Yamaha thundercat. Even she admits that the low down riding position is great, but she would have found it harder to cope with when new at riding, rather than a sit up bike. Her first big bike was a suzuki GS500 faired, and thats what shes pushing me towards, then maybe a sporty bike later on! Cant say I blame her, as yes, she probably is right!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes!! I'm usually sl***ing off mid wales for its lack of activities, facilities, miles from anywhere, weather etc etc, but all I can say, is that the road are BRILLIANT for biking :D Cant get much better in my opinion!! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.