Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly hello to everyone, I'm a newbie here!
I've come across a rolling chassis for a honda cbr400rr 89'.
No electrics or anything, now me and my dad are looking to do a bit of bonding and build one.:cool:
I've seen engines on ebay, whats the difference between a CBR400RR engine and a CBR400RR Aero engine?
I'm looking at the NC23 as I see parts are most available for that engine.
What will I need to get this engine running?
What I have on my list is an engine, carbs, a loom, exhaust, clocks.
Will I need and ECU?
Do these bikes have a fuel gauge? I was thinking of running a gravity fed tank if i can't find a pump in time. That won't be a problem will it, just how will i know when i'm low on fuel?:hmm:
If anyone could give me some advice on what i will need to get the bike running, that would be great.:D
Thanks
Ben

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Hi Steppinlevels and :welcome:
I won't be able to help answer all your questions, but at least I can help by getting the ball rolling:

I've come across a rolling chassis for a honda cbr400rr 89'.
Then for ease of work, it will better to go for a late NC23 engine or the NC29. For ease of reference and locating parts, it would probably be better sticking as closely as possible to the original NC23 (I think).

No electrics or anything, now me and my dad are looking to do a bit of bonding and build one.:cool:
Between the wiring and engine, this is going to be an expensive way of putting a bike together. It will be cheaper to buy a bike with parts attached even if the engine has blown up. You'll still have enough work to do together.

I've seen engines on ebay, whats the difference between a CBR400RR engine and a CBR400RR Aero engine?
Mainly power and the odd sensor mount and engine mountings I believe.

I'm looking at the NC23 as I see parts are most available for that engine.
What will I need to get this engine running?
What I have on my list is an engine, carbs, a loom, exhaust, clocks.
Will I need and ECU?
Do these bikes have a fuel gauge?
Difficult to know where to begin really. It sounds like you'll need everything. You will certainly need the ECU but, as the bike never came with a fuel gauge, you don't have to worry about that.

I was thinking of running a gravity fed tank if i can't find a pump in time. That won't be a problem will it,
While you can run the bike without a fuel pump, the biggest problem will be whether you remember to turn the fuel tank tap off every time you switch off. I would strongly recommend waiting till you get the pump.

just how will i know when i'm low on fuel
With the CBR400rr and, to my knowledge, all the variants of it, you will just have to use the time honoured tradition of opening the tank and having a look inside. If you can see fuel you're okay. If you can't you're in trouble.

That said, from memory, my CBR 400rr used to cover around 200 - 220 kilometres on a full tank. (124 -136 miles) So, I used to zero the trip meter on the rev counter when I fueled up, and when it got to around 190 kilometres (118 miles) I would start looking for a fuel station.

First things first though. I would strongly recommend you obtain a Haynes manual for the bike. It will prove invaluable for the task you are about begin.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.