Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I own a 2008 cbr1000rr with 3600 miles on it. A few weeks ago I took it in for it's first oil change. About a week or so later I started noticing a chattering/clicking/rattling sound coming from the top of the motor (I believe). At first I started thinking that the oil was too low, but after checking I found out that it was overfilled. The oil level seemed quite a bit higher than the high mark. I called the honda dealer today and explained to them the sounds the bike is making, the oil issue, and the decrease in power. I brought it in and the mechanic who did the service work didn't want to take any responsibility for the problems. Either way I had him pump out some of the oil which ended up being about 8 ounces. I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point. I know my bike and I know how it was running prior to taking it to the honda service dept. but the mechanic is acting oblivious to the problems I'm having, and is telling me that the oil couldn't have caused any issues. I feel like I'm getting the run-around with him. So I'm wondering if anyone has some insight to this problem or if anyone knows if the additional oil could have caused some issues? I did read somewhere that if you put in too much oil, the crankshaft will churn it up and introduce a lot of air into the mix. If this happens the oil pump has a hard time pushing it to the top of the motor which essentially starves the motor of oil. If the dealership will not do anything what options do I have? I've considered reporting it to the BBB and if necessary getting an attorney involved. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but no thanks e.glazebrook, I guess I could have figured someone would answer my question with a question. So let me go ahead and answer yours since you didn't really help me out much. I changed the oil at 3300 and I've only owned the bike for a few months. Prior to the oil change the bike ran super smooth, no problems whatsoever. So hopefully someone can give me a little insight to my original post? Thx.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think th issues that might occur with an over filled engine are leaky gaskets, oil bypassing rings, things like that. It's possible th mechanic used 2-cycle oil instead of 4-cycle. If th ticking is still there, can u describe it in more detail. Pin point where exactly it might b coming from. Have u been using th recommended fuel octane rating? If not u could b experiencing piston knocking.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanks but no thanks e.glazebrook, I guess I could have figured someone would answer my question with a question. So let me go ahead and answer yours since you didn't really help me out much. I changed the oil at 3300 and I've only owned the bike for a few months. Prior to the oil change the bike ran super smooth, no problems whatsoever. So hopefully someone can give me a little insight to my original post? Thx.

Your first statement gave us all a bum steer :)
"I own a 2008 cbr1000rr with 3600 miles on it. A few weeks ago I took it in for it's first oil change."
Based on that I think his question was reasonable.

Reactions: BigdaddyPaz

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi I own a 2008 cbr1000rr with 3600 miles on it. A few weeks ago I took it in for it's first oil change. About a week or so later I started noticing a chattering/clicking/rattling sound coming from the top of the motor (I believe). At first I started thinking that the oil was too low, but after checking I found out that it was overfilled. The oil level seemed quite a bit higher than the high mark. I called the honda dealer today and explained to them the sounds the bike is making, the oil issue, and the decrease in power. I brought it in and the mechanic who did the service work didn't want to take any responsibility for the problems. Either way I had him pump out some of the oil which ended up being about 8 ounces. I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point. I know my bike and I know how it was running prior to taking it to the honda service dept. but the mechanic is acting oblivious to the problems I'm having, and is telling me that the oil couldn't have caused any issues. I feel like I'm getting the run-around with him. So I'm wondering if anyone has some insight to this problem or if anyone knows if the additional oil could have caused some issues? I did read somewhere that if you put in too much oil, the crankshaft will churn it up and introduce a lot of air into the mix. If this happens the oil pump has a hard time pushing it to the top of the motor which essentially starves the motor of oil. If the dealership will not do anything what options do I have? I've considered reporting it to the BBB and if necessary getting an attorney involved. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Is it possible the extra oil is due to fuel in the crankcase?
I'd be surprised if it is that, but that would also explain the noisier engine if the oil is diluted with fuel.
Maybe just dump the oil and put fresh stuff in and see if the noise persists?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

Why are you changing the oil again after "a few months" and 300 miles?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think th issues that might occur with an over filled engine are leaky gaskets, oil bypassing rings, things like that. It's possible th mechanic used 2-cycle oil instead of 4-cycle. If th ticking is still there, can u describe it in more detail. Pin point where exactly it might b coming from. Have u been using th recommended fuel octane rating? If not u could b experiencing piston knocking.
Thanks for the reply Crazie929. As far as I know the mechanic is using the recommended oil for my bike. The ticking seems to be most prominent between 1000 to 3000 rpms. I can hear it mostly from the upper portion of the motor. It's more evident when the bike is running at lower temperatures, however it will never go away completely even at higher temps. I've been using 91 or higher octane. I've never filled it with anything less. I've had some loss in power as well but I cannot smell any fuel in the oil. The bike was running perfectly up until I had it serviced at 3300 miles.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanks for the reply Crazie929. As far as I know the mechanic is using the recommended oil for my bike. The ticking seems to be most prominent between 1000 to 3000 rpms. I can hear it mostly from the upper portion of the motor. It's more evident when the bike is running at lower temperatures, however it will never go away completely even at higher temps. I've been using 91 or higher octane. I've never filled it with anything less. I've had some loss in power as well but I cannot smell any fuel in the oil. The bike was running perfectly up until I had it serviced at 3300 miles.

Is it only under load or also when in neutral?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why are you changing the oil again after "a few months" and 300 miles?
Hi Bladeracer, let me try to clarify. I'm not changing the oil again after a few months. I've only owned the bike for a few months now. I bought it and it was in perfect condition, lots of power, very smooth running bike. I had it garaged for the winter, once it was warm enough to ride I took it in to the Honda dealer to have it serviced. At that time the bike had 3300 miles on it. Since the service I've ridden it for a few weeks and started noticing noises and loss of power. I checked the oil and noticed that it was overfilled. I then took the bike to back to the mechanic and had him pull out the additional oil which ended up being about 8 ounces. He claims that 8 ounces couldn't have done anything. It is my belief that he is wrong since all of the problems began to occur after it had been serviced.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I love how he deffends the overfill of 8 ounces. This was a certified Honda repair shop? You need to go above even his bosses head. I don't know what to say man. Yeah maybe get a lawyer involved. I hate lawyers, but i couldn't just let a dealer screw my new bike into it's grave.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi Bladeracer, let me try to clarify. I'm not changing the oil again after a few months. I've only owned the bike for a few months now. I bought it and it was in perfect condition, lots of power, very smooth running bike. I had it garaged for the winter, once it was warm enough to ride I took it in to the Honda dealer to have it serviced. At that time the bike had 3300 miles on it. Since the service I've ridden it for a few weeks and started noticing noises and loss of power. I checked the oil and noticed that it was overfilled. I then took the bike to back to the mechanic and had him pull out the additional oil which ended up being about 8 ounces. He claims that 8 ounces couldn't have done anything. It is my belief that he is wrong since all of the problems began to occur after it had been serviced.

Okay, that makes more sense :)
How many miles did you ride between taking the bike out of "garaged for the winter" and getting it serviced?
Exactly what was done during the "service"?
I don't know what 8oz is exactly, but overfilling an engine by a very large margin - say more than a litre - can cause problems certainly. If it's not blowing smoke though I'd be inclined to think it hasn't caused any problems. The first sign of trouble is generally oil being pushed up past the rings into the combustion chambers and being pushed out the breather into the airbox.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love how he deffends the overfill of 8 ounces. This was a certified Honda repair shop? You need to go above even his bosses head. I don't know what to say man. Yeah maybe get a lawyer involved. I hate lawyers, but i couldn't just let a dealer screw my new bike into it's grave.
Yeah I agree. Obviously he thinks it's in his best interest to downplay the overfill situation but I expected a little more out of a certified Honda dealer. Both the management and their mechanic have been extremely unprofessional and do not want to accept any responsibility for anything. It's really frustrating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, that makes more sense :)
How many miles did you ride between taking the bike out of "garaged for the winter" and getting it serviced?
Exactly what was done during the "service"?
I don't know what 8oz is exactly, but overfilling an engine by a very large margin - say more than a litre - can cause problems certainly. If it's not blowing smoke though I'd be inclined to think it hasn't caused any problems. The first sign of trouble is generally oil being pushed up past the rings into the combustion chambers and being pushed out the breather into the airbox.
I only rode it about 150 miles since I took it out of the garage for the winter before I had it serviced. I had them do a standard oil and oil filter change. So far I haven't seen any smoke, it's mainly the noise that is the problem. Since I had him remove the oil to get it back to the normal range the bike began to run a bit better but the sound is the same as it was.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Could b an exhaust leak. I don't think 8 ounces would do much harm. Is 91 th recommended fuel octane rating? Anything above th recommend octane rating has th potential to could piston slap, which if ridden too long like that will cause some serious harm.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree bladeracer. extra 8 ounces would only just get burned up or u would see it in the air box. Being so new in your possession, might be a pre existing problem. Piston slap could be a bunch of things but if it were me, extra oil scenario would be ruled out. Do u know the previous owner? Warranty if bought from dealer?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Could b an exhaust leak. I don't think 8 ounces would do much harm. Is 91 th recommended fuel octane rating? Anything above th recommend octane rating has th potential to could piston slap, which if ridden too long like that will cause some serious harm.

Say what?
Piston slap is a mechanical problem.
How would higher-octane fuel cause such a thing?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts