Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard moly is not good. I like useing Honda products but I guess I should go with the Amsoil. Any input would be helpfull.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Converting to Amsoil is nothing but good - regardless of whether Honda oil has Moly or not. Major pluses in upgrading to Amsoil synthetic over Honda H4...or any detergent grade oil. ENJOY!

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Honda makes two kinds of their semi-synth HP4...one has moly and one doesn't. I get the one that doesn't. Folks here say Amsol is better to use, so I'm going to look into that as well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
HondaGalToo : Honda makes two kinds of their semi-synth HP4...one has moly and one doesn't. I get the one that doesn't. Folks here say Amsol is better to use, so I'm going to look into that as well.
Just FYI - Sportrider tested the HP4 WITHOUT moly and found that it does contain moly. Mobil 1 15-50 car oil contains even more moly.

I think the whole moly thing is just internet hype. People have been using the HP4 and Mobil 1 without any problems.

·
Registered
929 Posts
ConqSoft : Well, if this is going to be another oil debate:  MOTUL 300V!
 I havent tried it.  I am happy with my conversion to Amsoil and like the price I get the stuff for (when buying bulk), AND they have car filters/oil in addition to the bike stuff.  Do you have a link for cheap Motul 300V?  Im willing to try almost anything once.  Just dont get any funny ideas now that you are single again.

btw Conq - have you tried Amsoil versus Motul?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
CBRGuy : Quote (HondaGalToo @ Aug. 21 2003, 9:22am)Honda makes two kinds of their semi-synth HP4...one has moly and one doesn't.  I get the one that doesn't.  Folks here say Amsol is better to use, so I'm going to look into that as well.
Just FYI - Sportrider tested the HP4 WITHOUT moly and found that it does contain moly.  Mobil 1 15-50 car oil contains even more moly.  

I think the whole moly thing is just internet hype.  People have been using the HP4 and Mobil 1 without any problems.
What CBRguy said. That was a good article on oil. I feel (after reading that article) that today's technology in oils, almost all of the major brands offer superior protection. Only seperated by each manufacturer's parts per million in acid neutralizers, moly, etc.,etc., affecting mostly changing intervals (obviously affected by the type of riding, street/racing). HP4 did show moly content along with quite a few others.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I say use Honda GN4 and change it every 2500 miles. It's not the very best oil you can get, but there's no clutch-destroying molybdenum, it's cheap, it'll make Honda happy at warranty claim time, and it's 'good enough' to do the job.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
TAZ : I say use Honda GN4 and change it every 2500 miles. It's not the very best oil you can get, but there's no clutch-destroying molybdenum, it's cheap, it'll make Honda happy at warranty claim time, and it's 'good enough' to do the job.
To answer the original question if Moly is indeed bad, you'd have to read that article in SportRider. If I read the article correctly, moly is a friction modifier that does not affect (today's) wet clutches. I'll have to reread the article to be sure, but I believe their statement was that moly destroying clutches was a myth.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I've always used HP4 in my bikes. I had no problems with the 'moly' version when it was the only one available, but I switched to the 'no moly' version when it came out.
You'll notice in your owner's manual that the recommended oil interval is 8k miles, and that's using GN4.
As said above, any of the popular oils are good; much better than anything we had a decade ago, so you really can't go wrong.

·
Registered
433 Posts
ConqSoft : No, I get mine from my local dealer.  I could probably get it a little cheaper online, but it's more convienent this way.  I pay about $38/gallon out the door.
Dude, I am going to have to move down there. My local shop gets me for $50 for a gallon of Motul 300V.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the debate, I think i will go with the Amsoil, but I did not know there was 2 types of synthetic honda, I will look into that before I do the change

·
Registered
356 Posts
ConqSoft : Well, I have bought several bikes from them over the years, and at least one trailer.
that must be nice. the stealers in my town don't give a s**t what you have bought from them in the past. it's always full price and if you tell them you can get it cheaper, they say go do it. needless to say, i have ceased to support my local stealer. (except for oil filters, damnit.)

·
Registered
929 Posts
TCD : i have ceased to support my local stealer. (except for oil filters, damnit.)  
Why do you give them that opportunity? If you buy Amsoil, get their filters, or you can visit your local Pepboys or Purolator retailer and get a much better filter over the OEM Honda version. Down with the stealers.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I used the HP4 with moly ('cause there wasn't a no-moly version at the time) in my race F3 for years. Never had an issue with it. Honda's oil filters are actually one of the best out there, but are a tad expensive if you don't have a good dealer.
That said, I use Amsoil in pretty much all my toys now. There really is a difference.

·
Registered
929 Posts
BDA116 : Honda's oil filters are actually one of the best out there, but are a tad expensive if you don't have a good dealer.

It sounds like you dont read Motorcycle Consumer News.  They had an excellent review (scientific, not personal preference) and writeup on oil filters a while back.  Amsoil did the same thing in one of their mags I receive monthly, but that can possibly be a swayed test (although factual numbers are offered).

P.S. MCN is a non-profit organization similar in nature to Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys, i have 15,000 mile on my bike what's kind of oil should i used? any recommand? ( haft syntec 10-40 or full syntec 15-50 ) sorry..

Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts