Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just died while riding it. I pushed the starter button and nothing. So I pushed it home and took a look. I can push the starter button and it will do nothing but turn out the head light and dim the idiots lights on the handlebars. I can jump the solenoid and it will turn over but not start. I had another set of kill switch and starter switch that I hooked up and still nothing. I have power, but it won't turn over. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe a safety switch or something? I mean it just died while riding. I only got a block away from home when it did.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
It just died while riding it. I pushed the starter button and nothing. So I pushed it home and took a look. I can push the starter button and it will do nothing but turn out the head light and dim the idiots lights on the handlebars. I can jump the solenoid and it will turn over but not start. I had another set of kill switch and starter switch that I hooked up and still nothing. I have power, but it won't turn over. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe a safety switch or something? I mean it just died while riding. I only got a block away from home when it did.

Do you mean the engine won't turn over at all or merely that it won't turn over on the starter motor?
Check your battery voltage and charge it if it's low.
Do you use the killswitch regularly? It is not designed for regular use and will fail if used often. Also check the connector for the right switch cluster and make sure you have power there.
I can't think of any killswitches back in '85 but I guess it could have a clutch or sidestand switch perhaps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It won't turn over when I push the starter switch. I can get it to turn over when I jump the solenoid, but it will not start. I use the kill switch most every time I shut the bike off.
But I am curious. How do I check voltage on the killswitch in case this second one I have is bad. I was told to check it, but I am clueless on how to go about it

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
It won't turn over when I push the starter switch. I can get it to turn over when I jump the solenoid, but it will not start. I use the kill switch most every time I shut the bike off.
But I am curious. How do I check voltage on the killswitch in case this second one I have is bad. I was told to check it, but I am clueless on how to go about it

Then I would first look at the killswitch.
Use the ignition key to stop the engine just as you would in a car, that's what it's there for.
Get a workshop manual for a start.
You need a multimeter to do any electrical tests.
Turn the ignition switch on and touch the multimeter probes to the contacts in the connector. If you have power it will display how many volts there are. It should be the same as the voltage across the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I kinda understand the concept. Here's what I know. I touch one of the points of my volt meter on a contact on one side coming from the bike. Then I touch the other point on another contact coming from the kill switch. But this is only a guess.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Yeah I kinda understand the concept. Here's what I know. I touch one of the points of my volt meter on a contact on one side coming from the bike. Then I touch the other point on another contact coming from the kill switch. But this is only a guess.

No.
One probe to each of the pins in the harness connector. Between the two pins for the kill switch you should see battery voltage. If not then there is a break in the circuit somewhere. I don't have a wiring diagram for the VF700 so I can't tell you which wires they are but I expect there are four wires(?), two to the starter button and two to the kill switch.
Some old bikes the kill switch does not cut the starter circuit so the engine can crank over for diagnostics with the kill switch off - yours may be like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts