Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
notices a slight oil leak coming from my 01 929 stater cover so I pulled it off and the green paper gasket is shot, called the 3 local Honda dealers and all of them say 7-10 day wait to order one but I'm impatient and with the new York rain we've had lately I wanna take advantage of a possible few dry days, does anyone know if hondabond or hi temp gasket sealer will work to seal my stater cover?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
notices a slight oil leak coming from my 01 929 stater cover so I pulled it off and the green paper gasket is shot, called the 3 local Honda dealers and all of them say 7-10 day wait to order one but I'm impatient and with the new York rain we've had lately I wanna take advantage of a possible few dry days, does anyone know if hondabond or hi temp gasket sealer will work to seal my stater cover?

Cut one out of a cereal box if you really can't wait.

·
Registered
596 Posts
cereal box, or you can buy a generic mat of gasket material at any auto parts store to cut your own from that. i used 'the right stuff" to seal the wire grommet.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I used permatex on a friend's R6. Worked. I used the TM Hondabond on my own stator cover. It worked. In most these cases, stuff isn't on shelves for long when it doesn't work. The most important part will be your application. Clean and prep both surfaces.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Do I need to cut it with a cirurgical knife? Scalpel?
i find a dull butter knife works best when im making cereal box gaskets. lol

but seriously, an x-acto knife or a razor blade should work great. scissors would do the outer perimeter just fine i would think. probably kinda difficult to get the inside started that way tho i bet.

·
Banned
831 Posts
i find a dull butter knife works best when im making cereal box gaskets. lol
You might consider taping the cardboard to a wooden table or end table (oak or cherry, doesn't matter), even the seat of a chair from the dining room. Then, with a scroll saw and taking your time, cut out the shape gasket you need. When you're done, lift the gasket from the wood and it's ready to use. Plus, you now have a good wooden template you can reuse. Win win.

I do use spray paint on the cereal box cardboard first before attempting to cut, then lay the engine cover on the wet paint (the gasket side down) to show me the outline, and cut out the outline, with scissors, for better control and making the curves easier. A socket and hammer can make the appropriate size holes for the bolt locations. I'll leave how to use the hammer and socket to your common sense.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Been there, done that on the cereal box gasket. I still don't own gasket punches, I took short pieces of stainless tubing and put on edge on them with a band saw for my hole punches, just an idea. I've also used sealant and silk thread in lieu of gaskets as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts