Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a hotbodies undertail kit and was wondering how difficult it is to install, I've read some places that it is easy, but the local motorcycle shop tells me it took them 3 hours to install and its going to cost me a $240 :mad:

I've worked things out and he said I can pay whatever I feel comfortable with, TBH I was expecting something like this to cost $50. Was wondering what the thoughts of people who installed one before were.

·
Registered
197 Posts
my undertail was rather easy, the first owner had cut off the stock license plate plastic, and made a make-shift eliminator...so all i had to do was weave it up under the tail section, do the tail light wiring and its all good...beautiful fit and finish, no complaints....took me less than an hour, between a break and the wire mock-up...good luck, and it is a do-it-yourself installation

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can do this urself, though you need to have the proper tools. I did this with a friend and the extra hands helped. I installed the Rizoma undertail and license plate frame and it was a little complicated but looks really nice. The problem with the Rizoma's were the unclear instructions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The hotbodies is a PITA!!! You need a dremel and basic and tools. You have the constant feeling that you are about to break your plastics and you may have to remove your battery box to get to some screws. Do yourself a favor and pick up some sato street hooks so yo can remove and install the rear pegs anytime you want so you don't haave to do this again.

·
Registered
277 Posts
the hotbodies looks good on the web site, so your saying we have to cut / trim the stock body works ? my next mod.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the hotbodies looks good on the web site, so your saying we have to cut / trim the stock body works ? my next mod.
I didn't do it myself, but have read around and some people say they had to cut, others not. It does look amazing though. Far better then any fender eliminator kit things

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
What bike do you have? I installed it on my 929 and it wasn't hard, just took time. Sounds like your bike shop is charging you $80/hour for labor which is going the rate around here.

·
Registered
277 Posts
gonna give them a call see whats up, our race team had limited sponsorship from them last year; maybe i can still get my racer discount:eyebrows:.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 08 blade. You have to cut to get the hotbodies on. Looks amazing. Like I said pita. Though what's not when you have something the is beautiful. The directions suck, just take your time. Btw the colors do not mate. Buy the unpainted and have ir matched. If you are not mechcanical, pay to have it done.

·
Registered
824 Posts
i installed the hotbodies on my bike...DO NOT CUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the directions say to but you do not have to and it will make is MUCH more sturdy and OEM type fit if you dont cut...dont follow the directions at all...except for the parts where they tell you how to get the old tail off...i didnt cut anything off mine and it is like a rock...which i have heard people that got them installed and did it themself by cutting they have loose shitty undertails that feel and sound like they are going to fall off...its about a 2-3 hr job depending on how good you are at taking stuff off and installing...the hardest part for me was getting the OEM off but it realy wasnt that bad...you also dont have to take out the battery tray which somepeople think...you just have to drill through it but the holes that are drilled will NEVER be seen again uless you have the seat off and bike apart...save yourself the $240 and do it yourself...id be glad to help if u get stuck...and mine is the best ive seen...my buddy with the same bike had his dine at the honda dealer and it sucks...i think they charged him around $200....main thing...DO NOT CUT...and also save your stock turn signal and brake harnesses and remember what goes to what because it makes wiring the new hardware SOOOO much easier...they dont tell you any of that in the directions...i really wish i would have made a how to on this subject...just let me know if u need any help...and if u bring it to the dealer tell them not to CUT ANYTHING off your bike...the install can be done without it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you get a painted, unpainted or smoke. I got a unpainted, made with different material than painted. It really depends on that fact. I tries without cuting.... no dice. Solid as hell though. Just remember, you can alway take more off, you cannot replace it. Also make sure the brakets are correct, mine were junk and not correct, made my own.

·
Registered
824 Posts
ya i got a smoked one...they might be shaped or made differently..never thought about that...i know for sure though that the smoked one for the 08 needs no cutting...

·
Registered
32 Posts
From what I've read, the painted are flimsy unmatched junk, the smoke is good. The unpainted it the white pvc plastic, it does not flex and you have to cut. The way to go is smoke or unpainted. Do you have pics of the smoke?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an 08 Blade.

Wish I would have talked to "#1 CBR" before I took mine to the shop, my painted "Winning Red" is closer to pink then anything. Being an undertail n all, its rather hard to notice the difference though.

I was thinking about getting the hotbodies rear fender, my guess is that its going to be that same pink, which is a huge no thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
so yea, what does the smoke look like? my factory part is more of a matte black color( 09 white/silver graphics).aren't the 08 and 09 the same in this area?

·
Registered
824 Posts
i will take some pics within the next couple days and post them for you...i have a really busy week or else i would get them sooner..il try for tomorrow but cant make any promises...the smoked is def sturdy and strong plastic...cant attest for the painted though

·
Registered
277 Posts
eagerly waiting on pics. i really want to make shure this is the under tail i want.( bought a ZG sheild with out looking , does the job but looks funny on the bike).

·
Registered
277 Posts
so 1cbr , you got those pics yet? or what does / do you mean by smoke color ? i really want to get rid of my stocker. btw, has anybody installed the Taylor Made carbon fibrer undertail /with pics?

·
Registered
824 Posts
here ya go...as you can see..it uses the stock tail light and half of it is covered by the smoked undertail so it gives the lower part of the light a smoked look...hope this helps...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts