Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some people in here from other country's, I have heard they have tiered license systems. For those who might not know this is a system where for example you would only be able to ride a 125cc or 250cc on the street for the first couple years of riding, then move up to more CC's if you pass a written and skills test, and so on and so on until you would be 'able' to ride a bigger CC bike on the street like the 954.

It seems to be a good idea when you hear of all the crashes that newbies have on bikes in the first 6 months to around a year or so. But it also seems to be a violation of freedom. But after hearing guy's with no clue say 'oh I did'nt want the 954 cause it did'nt have enough power, so I am getting a Gixxer 1000 for my first bike!' it seems to be a better idea.

I for one don't like this idea because it would keep me from riding my 929,,,,,I would'nt like to ride a 250 around for 1 or 2 years, but for some it would protect them more, although I agree that they could kill themselves on any bike.

Any way enough blabbing by me,,,any one else have an opinion/care?

Mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place,,,,,,I am new

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
quit with all the damn commas. but yeah, it is a good idea but I, like you, would hate to ride a 250 for 2 years before a 500, then to a 600, then 750 etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I kinda agree with the tiered license concept although I would like to see it implemented according to bhp benchmarks and not ccs. Ride a less-than-50-bhp bike for a couple of years and then ride whatever you want..

My fist bike was a 400cc bros, I then bought a 600cc monster and a year after that a SS900. I bought the 954 2 months ago and it still feels extremely fast.

Getting a 130 bhp bike as first bike seems suicidal to me (unless you live in a place without corners... lol)

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Some people just can't handle the power. Freedom or not, it's for your own good. A buddy of mine started out on a Kaw 250, wrecked it after putting maybe 500 miles on it, and instead of fixing it and riding it for a little while longer he went and bought a brand new F4i. I've never seen anyone so paranoid of a motorcycle. I hope he sells it before he kills himself

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually UK has HP system. But you could get a 954RR and then install a regulator/chip that would keep the HP at 30 horses until you graduated to the next level. This way you don't have to get a new bike every year. Can't imagine a 954RR with 30 horses though

·
Registered
252 Posts
Last year my brother-in-law bought his first bike. A 97 Yamaha FZR 600 as his first bike. He dropped it twice within his first 500 miles. He put over 7000 miles on last year. This year he up graded to a 02 R6 (in know - evil) and he has made the adjustment well. He took the safety course, and rides with some of us more expreienced riders. It really shows that starting off smaller, is better.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was reading an article in one of the motorcycle magazines a few months ago. The author said that its not the horsepower or cc's that cause riders to crash. The motorcycle is only going to do what the rider directs it to do. Imposing horsepower and cc restrictions as a way to prevent crashes is like believing the bike has a mind of its own tand will buck the inexperienced off at the first chance. If a person with little experience crashes on a big bike, it is not the bike's fault. Fear and inexperience are most likely the cause.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I've said it before......this is not a case for more government bureacracy....just better rider education and training.....

·
Registered
998 Posts
Over here in Oz! we have to do a 2 day rider trainning course and then a computer knowlegde test to get our learners permit and you have to be 16yrs9months to get this and were up until recently limited to 260cc excluding bikes with greater than 150kw/tonne eg RGV, NSR, TZ250, KR250 and Aprillia RS250, (although now they allow selected motorcylces upto 650cc) then after a minimum of 3 months (17yrs) you have to do a second 2 day course before you can get your provisional (1) licence which you have to keep for 12 months then you can move on to your provisional (2) for another 12 months after which you are fully licenced! all this is a good idea, espeacially for those that have never ridden motorcycles before although when youve been riding and racing from 10 years of age it feels like a bit of a drag! being limited to the selected range of bikes although I was lucky as they bought in that rule about the RGV,s when I already had one on my learners about 12 years ago! and if you already had one when they bought this rule in you were exempted!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Motopilot : I was reading an article in one of the motorcycle magazines a few months ago.  The author said that its not the horsepower or cc's that cause riders to crash.  The motorcycle is only going to do what the rider directs it to do.  Imposing horsepower and cc restrictions as a way to prevent crashes is like believing the bike has a mind of its own tand will buck the inexperienced off at the first chance.  If a person with little experience crashes on a big bike, it is not the bike's fault.  Fear and inexperience are most likely the cause.
I disagree with this as a lot of people with no previous bike riding experiance experiance will start to get a bit cocky once they get the basics mastered and how easy is it to overshoot a corner, highside or flip a 150HP motorcycle! you would have trouble doing this on a 40hp motorcyle unless it was wet or you were being an absolute dick! Also you are much more likely to get a tankslapper on a high powered sports bike than something mild! And I can speak for anyone else but I know I wouldnt give someone who had never ridden a bike a go on my Blade! ( Although I did give my 15year old brother a ride a little while back but he has been riding since he was 3! ) at least with an offroad background Id had hundreds of tankslappers on my CRs before Id ever set foot on a road bike! And this experiance has come in handy on a few occasions!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Again, its not the bike but the rider. Why would you set up a system that penalizes those who properly implement the riding skills that they have learned? That is like saying, 'Because some of you first timers crashed your 954s, NONE of you can ride a bike over 250cc's for 2 years.' It just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think it varys from person to person.  Self control is a HUGE factor in riding.  I learned on an XX for a month then went to the 954.  I know my limits and can control myself when it comes to riding.  Some people just can't grasp the concept of riding and shouldn't ride, while some its natural.  I do think that everyone should take the MSF or equivelant course.  

Could the same thing be said in purchasing a high performance car???   You need to drive a Geo Metro for 2 yrs before you can buy your Z06.

·
Registered
252 Posts
alexandra : Self control is a HUGE factor in riding.  I learned on an XX for a month then went to the 954.  I know my limits and can control myself when it comes to riding.  Some people just can't grasp the concept of riding and shouldn't ride, while some its natural.
Nothing like a good testoterone war for a bunch of guys.  One does something stupid, and the rest seem to follow. self included

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Mixed feelings on this one. You can kill yourself just as easily on a smaller bike, however, you don't have the temptation of power and speed of a bigger bike. You can go 100 MPH on a 600. Some people just don't have the right mentality and self control to ride ... period. Having a tiered system will just prolong the inevitable. If you're going to be a squid, you're going to be a squid. Just my .02

·
Registered
387 Posts
Motopilot : I was reading an article in one of the motorcycle magazines a few months ago.  The author said that its not the horsepower or cc's that cause riders to crash.  The motorcycle is only going to do what the rider directs it to do.  Imposing horsepower and cc restrictions as a way to prevent crashes is like believing the bike has a mind of its own and will buck the inexperienced off at the first chance.  If a person with little experience crashes on a big bike, it is not the bike's fault.  Fear and inexperience are most likely the cause.
True enough . . . the bike only does what the rider tells it to. However, where the HP restriction comes into play is how fast the rider is traveling when they bung it up. The more inexperienced the rider, the closer to out of control the are going to be when they ride. If their first bike is 130hp the chances of accident just multiply.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Ya know, Motorcycles make up a very small amount of the accidents in this country. I think that getting an automobile license is WAY too easy. Concentrate on that and the whole world will be safer. And the roads less crowded.

·
Registered
170 Posts
nedro : I think that getting an automobile license is WAY too easy. Concentrate on that and the whole world will be safer.
I must admit my first bike was a Norton 750. You didn't even need to do a riding test in those days. I think testing and training is the key, not CC's or horsepower. When you get a pilot lic they teach you how to pull out of stalls and many other emergency situation. If they required the same training for Auto and Bike Lic's, accidents would be way down.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
the least they should do is impose a mandatory rev limiter so squids won't rev the piss out of their bikes. Oh wait, this isn't a normal thing that most try, is it?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts