Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to strip finish from 954 swingarm & used aircraft stripper & its not doing nothing, i did some sanding but its going to take for ever & theres too many welds & small spots, it polished easy once done to raw materal, need help guys THANKS.

·
Registered
342 Posts
trying to strip finish from 954 swingarm & used aircraft stripper & its not doing nothing, i did some sanding but its going to take for ever & theres too many welds & small spots, it polished easy once done to raw materal, need help guys THANKS.
Honda uses a baked on acrylic of some sort.. its real tough stuff. i havent found a way to chemically remove it and all the solvent that i know that probably could are not easy to get...

your best bet would be to sand blast it... preferably a glass bead media as its less likely to embed into the aluminum the your standard sand

·
Registered
135 Posts
If im not mistaken, if the arm is aluminum coloured, its probably hard anodized. Bitch to get off unless!!!!:evilaugh: You use Sodium Hydroxide aka Easy Off Oven Cleaner. It will actually breakdown the oxide layer, I use it to strip/prep parts that I anodize here at my shop!! Sand blasting will also work of course...

·
Registered
342 Posts
If im not mistaken, if the arm is aluminum coloured, its probably hard anodized. Bitch to get off unless!!!!:evilaugh: You use Sodium Hydroxide aka Easy Off Oven Cleaner. It will actually breakdown the oxide layer, I use it to strip/prep parts that I anodize here at my shop!! Sand blasting will also work of course...
hard anodized i though was a gun metal color...
At any rate, i know the 900RRs frame and swingarm were acrylic coated.. i would assume the same for the 954 but i have never had to strip anything from a 954.

for your anodizing, do you use sulfuric acid? if so what molarity?

·
Registered
135 Posts
hard anodized i though was a gun metal color...
At any rate, i know the 900RRs frame and swingarm were acrylic coated.. i would assume the same for the 954 but i have never had to strip anything from a 954.

for your anodizing, do you use sulfuric acid? if so what molarity?

To be honest I havnt gotten it down specifically, Ive been mixing the concentrate you buy at the battery store one for one with water...

But yes sulphuric acid is what I am using, and its working well, Its mostly about the current density as opposed to the strength of the acid bath.

There are formulas for working out Current density based upon surface area of the parts.

here are some pics of some stuff ive done in red, using Tintex clothing dye.
Those parts were practice, with different densities, and the kick plates have since been redone. Came out real nice once i got the time straight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.