Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see at least 3 positions in Dallas every week that I would damn near kill for.

After speaking with some HR reps around the country, and some fellow colleagues in the same boat, companies just aren't dealing with out of state applicants, whatsoever.

What if you are willing to relocate yourself, pay for any plane flights for interviews etc?

Forgive me, I start work at a position tomorrow and I'm bummed, pissed, depressed, angry, you name it. I can't believe I'm still in this bitch!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
It would seem to me that if an applicant was specific in offering to bear all relocation costs, there wouldn't be a bona fide reason to exclude that person from consideration.

However, if that would really be the case, Why don't you just get down there? Hopefully you could then compete for the Dallas jobs as they come up..

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
CBRVFR said:
It would seem to me that if an applicant was specific in offering to bear all relocation costs, there wouldn't be a bona fide reason to exclude that person from consideration.

However, if that would really be the case, Why don't you just get down there? Hopefully you could then compete for the Dallas jobs as they come up..
I don't have the $ to fork up a few k for moving costs, then sit idly with no $ coming in while I wait. I need to secure a position prior to moving as I don't want to start tapping into my investments.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
It is legal because they aren't discriminating against any of the protected criteria.
It sucks that they aren't giving you a chance, however. My guess is that they are just tossing out resumes from out of staters figuring that they would want relocation costs, rather than giving them a chance to state otherwise. They also may want to get the position filled quickly and painlessly and assume that an out of stater will only phone interview and/or take more time than they are willing to wait.
All this means that you just need to be aggressive.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BDA116 said:
All this means that you just need to be aggressive.
How is this?
Taken directly from online resume.

Objective: Obtain a new position working in Telecommunications/IT with a stable company. If no relocation assistance is available, I will move myself, pay for any plane flights for interviews, and will be available for work 2 weeks from the hiring date just as if I lived locally. I want to get back to Texas, please hire me!
Next up will be overseas calling me to work as they are in dire need and are paying extremely well. That is how bad I want to get out of here. I don't want to work overseas due to the danger but a 50k signing bonus and 300k tax free dollars for one year sounds a million times better than Seattle :smilebig:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
booth23 said:
How is this?
Taken directly from online resume.

Next up will be overseas calling me to work as they are in dire need and are paying extremely well. That is how bad I want to get out of here. I don't want to work overseas due to the danger but a 50k signing bonus and 300k tax free dollars for one year sounds a million times better than Seattle :smilebig:
Sounds good to me, except maybe the last sentence. It might sound a bit desperate. But then again, that may be what you're going for?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
For the little it is worth.

Try:
Objective: To relocate back to Texas to be closer to my family while continuing to utilize my skills. To aide in achieving my goal I am willing to pay for my relocation and interview costs. I am available for start date within 2 weeks of an offer and have a temporary residence presently.

I am sure you can adapt the facts and better word this but... more professional sounding words would be needed, be proactive on the expense issue (it might cost you if they were going to offer but this leaves no doubt for them), give a reason for coming to Texas if for instance it is family that is huge for companies as YOU look stable they also worry on turnover. Also I would eliminate your stable clause as you can judge the company and turn down offers and interviews when offered if needed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
sheepofblue said:
For the little it is worth.

Try:
Objective: To relocate back to Texas to be closer to my family while continuing to utilize my skills. To aide in achieving my goal I am willing to pay for my relocation and interview costs. I am available for start date within 2 weeks of an offer and have a temporary residence presently.

Good luck.

That reads well, sheep. :thumb:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Also I am cannot speak for all businesses but in my area, companies sometimes troll for resumes with no immediate plan to hire.

Reasons:
Sample market prices
Use rsumes to bid with (gov has cracked down some on this)
The job is planned for internal fill but policies require publishing it

Keep this in mind and try hard to keep your attitude positive. Positive and proactive attitude is a highly desirable trait.

Good luck and remember AL is a hell hole and no one should move here ;)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Please keep in mind that it costs MONEY to move an employee. Budgets are very tight right now. I was very fortunate to get a job with a company that was willing to pay for my relocation expenses. This was relocating only 60 miles away. So far, it is costing them in the range of 20k.

Keep sending resumes and it will happen. Good Luck....

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
BDA116 said:
Sounds good to me, except maybe the last sentence. It might sound a bit desperate.
I'm with BDA about that last sentence. Not to sound overly harsh, but as a previous hiring manager, I can tell you that you shot yourself in the foot with that last line.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pete said:
I'm with BDA about that last sentence. Not to sound overly harsh, but as a previous hiring manager, I can tell you that you shot yourself in the foot with that last line.
Not really, I modified my resume yesterday to include that sentence and took it out shortly thereafter. Prior to that, it just said I would relocate myself ;)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Do you have specific experience with any particular vendor equipment, for example Lucent, Nortel, Motorola and would you be interested in contract to perm work? I have contract houses calling me all the time asking me if I know anyone who is looking for work. I'd be happy to pass on the info.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tornado bait said:
Do you have specific experience with any particular vendor equipment, for example Lucent, Nortel, Motorola and would you be interested in contract to perm work? I have contract houses calling me all the time asking me if I know anyone who is looking for work. I'd be happy to pass on the info.
Nortel but only if it's in Tejas. I need to get back there before I try another poker hand someplace else.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'm going to ship my stuff back, get a Dallas #, and play Russian Roulette. Got an address to use in Dallas, just have to find a place to crash up here for a while.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts