Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The class of '04 is going to be good. Real good.
CBR1000RR
YZF-R1
GSX-R1000
ZX10RR (did I get that name right?)

(Odd. Couldn't post a pic. How about a link instead?)
Look HERE

·
Registered
929 Posts
It looks like a copycat to the 600RR to me, except they made the tailsection too large. I prefer the current bodystyle over that one - but that doesnt say much either.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
googolplexu : It looks like a copycat to the 600RR to me, except they made the tailsection too large.  I prefer the current bodystyle over that one - but that doesnt say much either.  

Honda with Yamaha paint...in that case it should be awesome

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rumor had it Yamaha was going to add Ram Air (okay, 'cold air') induction. Other than the more fluid swingarm (VERY similar to the R6 unit), the only other obvious changes are to the tailsection plastic. IMHO, the depicted tailsection looks better than the current one, which I always found too angular and 'Jetsons'-looking.

I like the thought of an underseat exhaust, and I imagine Yamaha has worked to increase the power a bit, as the main complaint with the '02/'03 R1 is that it's down a bit (power-wise) next to the big Gixxer. Brakes and handling were fine before, as was the fuel injection (amazing they got it spot-on with the first attempt&#33, so I don't expect changes there.

The one thing (besides the tailsection styling) that I think they should seriously look at is the underseat storage! My '02 had just about enough room for a pair of gloves and a sleeve of paperwork!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Skully : Taz after you buy and trade all 4 within 6 months let us know how they compare.  
Hmmm. Now THAT's a thought!

You could probably leave the Suzuki and the Kawasaki out of the equation. Although I'm sure both are excellent bikes, something in me knows it's not in me to actually OWN one.

It's doubtful I'll be in a position to buy anything next spring. Although I'd like to, my long-term plan for muh-self is to get a big, comfy (sport?)touring bike for the real world, and a 600 for the track. Oh, yeah...also to lose 20 pounds so I don't bog down that 600!

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Mattress : Quote (googolplexu @ Aug. 07 2003, 1:41am) It looks like a copycat to the 600RR to me, except they made the tailsection too large.  I prefer the current bodystyle over that one - but that doesnt say much either.  

Honda with Yamaha paint...in that case it should be awesome
The cowl looks Hayabusa-ish

Either way, it's ugly

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Taz when it comes out, go down to your local stealership, stick your dick in the exhaust, hump it, and get it over with.  Because I sure don't want to hear your pining over this vs. that for the next 6 months.      

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
what's with the fairing bolts. Either they're poorly safety wired, or they look like D-ring clips or whatever.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like it! Does the '03 come with stock frame sliders and quick release fastners like this one? Also, is that the oil bolt I see on the bottom left? Either way, those are nice stock options.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yeah, they photochopped on some dzus 1/4 turns on that thing. If that made production, that would be pretty cool.

Now if only Honda would do that, or at least make it easier to do that (and not recess some of the bolts so a d-right would not fit).

Sort of looks like a cross between an F4i and the 600RR in Yamadog paint.

2004 will be a VERY interesting year. Almost makes me want to sell some stuff and buy a ticket to Europe for next month's bike intros!!!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Looks almost as as the red/white/black 02 did.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
booth23 : Taz when it comes out, go down to your local stealership, stick your dick in the exhaust, hump it, and get it over with.  Because I sure don't want to hear your pining over this vs. that for the next 6 months.      
Now THAT's not very nice! If you don't want to 'hear' any of my posts, I'd invite you to NOT read them. (Or plug your ears...?)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yellar : I like it! Does the '03 come with stock frame sliders and quick release fastners like this one? Also, is that the oil bolt I see on the bottom left? Either way, those are nice stock options.
The '03 has no stock frame sliders, but does have Allen-keyed 1/4 Dzus fasteners. I suspect the pictured D-ring (also Dzus?) fasteners may actually come as stock on the '04.

That's part of the exhaust valve, not the oil drain bolt.

·
Registered
306 Posts
TAZ : Rumor had it Yamaha was going to add Ram Air (okay, 'cold air') induction. Other than the more fluid swingarm (VERY similar to the R6 unit), the only other obvious changes are to the tailsection plastic. IMHO, the depicted tailsection looks better than the current one, which I always found too angular and 'Jetsons'-looking.
That is the fugliest RAM-air I've seen to date. And as for looks, it is truly a CBR 600RR copy.

I like the thought of an underseat exhaust, and I imagine Yamaha has worked to increase the power a bit, as the main complaint with the '02/'03 R1 is that it's down a bit (power-wise) next to the big Gixxer. Brakes and handling were fine before, as was the fuel injection (amazing they got it spot-on with the first attempt&#33, so I don't expect changes there.
You may be correct about fuel injection and handling, but I haven't heard anyone saying that brakes are fine, at least at 03 they are 'worst in class' now that the Gix has radials. So if 04 R1 will have same brakes the 'worst in class' prize is quaranteed for 04. With some trying maybe they'll get that prize for other categories too  

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tnarinen : You may be correct about fuel injection and handling, but I haven't heard anyone saying that brakes are fine, at least at 03 they are 'worst in class' now that the Gix has radials. So if 04 R1 will have same brakes the 'worst in class' prize is quaranteed for 04. With some trying maybe they'll get that prize for other categories too  
Radial brakes don't necessarily equate to 'better brakes'.
The Gixxer's and 954's brakes MAY be better than the Yamaha's, but only MARGINALLY. And hey - isn't the ZX9R still 'in class'

1 - 20 of 40 Posts