Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

The proper way to rotate tires is:

• Front to back, back to front, end of story. (Missionary)

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Front to back, back L to R front, back R to L front. (Reverse Cowgirl)

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever that guy torquing my lug nuts to 256# thinks it should be.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never owned a car long enough to rotate the tires, and you shouldn't either.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Depends on the vehicle. My Dodge truck I rotate rear to front, same side, and cross the fronts to the rear (as per the manual). With the 'vette, and the WRX I used to have, it was front to rear only (directional tires).

If all else fails, RTFM!

Oh, and thanks for the reminder, the truck is due :thumb:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Can't rotate them when they are directional and different widths.

But yeah, it depends on the vehicle type. Read the manual.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Depends on the tire type also the reason you do not cross some is that reverses the rotation. For instance many steel belted radials 'set' the belt when driven, when you reverse the rotation it reverses the belt spin and destroys the tire. Fibreglass belts have less or none of this effect usually. Also bias ply tires do not seem to exhibit this. Oh and for the doubters i have pulled a set of belts up through a tire face :crap:

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
sheepofblue said:
For instance many steel belted radials 'set' the belt when driven, when you reverse the rotation it reverses the belt spin and destroys the tire.
Old wives tale. That came out when the radial technology was kind of new. Now it really does not matter about crossing the tire unles the tire has a directional tread on them.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sheepofblue said:
Oh and for the doubters i have pulled a set of belts up through a tire face :crap:
Talked with someone recently of the same ,which spurred this thread.

Manual for my old accord told me to rotate the spare...:huh: donut?
RTFM is not a poll answer for this reason:hmm:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Hammer said:
Old wives tale. That came out when the radial technology was kind of new. Now it really does not matter about crossing the tire unles the tire has a directional tread on them.
:idunno: I miss rotated some and they pulled the belts out. Now I could attribute this to sheeply driving speeds except the car was not that fast

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Always used choice B if the tires weren't directional, and were the same sizes. All of my friends do too. :idunno:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Hammer said:
Can you without a doubt, be sure that the wrong rotation pattern caused the failure?
Umm rotate tires and bels fail on all four withn 2 months.... nope though as I do not have a lab. Oh and it never happened again although I always rotated correctly from then on (of course if they were all four defects, again nope).

So to repeat, nope but I do them correctly.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
but was this back in the 70's when steel belts first came out??:evilaugh:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
BDA116 said:
Can't rotate them when they are directional and different widths.

But yeah, it depends on the vehicle type. Read the manual.
Trollin m'fer... :clap:
:evilaugh:

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Ridgeline manual specifies option "B", and doesen't include the spare in it's diagram :smilebig:.

It does have a note that if you use directional tires - only use option A.
Sorry to bug you guys with a poll ;)

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Lightning, couldn't. Different size rims and tires. Same for the Z-4 and 5 liter. On the volvo, front to back, one has direction tread. On the R-1, same, front to back and and then turn them around against the arrows...:eek:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts