Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a street rider, however; I'm going to start doing track days next season, starting off with a good track oriented riding school. I've ridden since 5 years old, just never got the opportunity to get onto a track (other than motocross).

My question is this: How to these guys that race, go out onto a track dirrectly after a bad crash? I werecked on the street a few years ago and was a little ancy riding for a few months. How can these guys get the crash out of their minds so easily? :confused: It's always fascinated me...

Cheers all...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
This is great question, maybe testosterone has a lot to do with it. I don't crash like I once did but I can tell you a crash today will stay with me a lot longer than any crash I took when I was 20. Remember chicks dig scars and all that stuff... If your talking about pros it's just focus and determination, why did crash? what can I do to correct it? what did I learn? I don't think fear comes into play so much. Crashing teaches you where the limits are and to be the best you can be you need to be aware of them... If you crash and don't get hurt your less afraid to some extent...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Crashing consistently on the track in the right safety gear with run off etc would make it more for a learning experience than a fearful one.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess all the safety gear and the safety design of the track (runoff areas, etc) helps the mental aspect, not to mention the odds of survival of a track crash vs a street crash where you can hit imovable and indestructable objects in your path. Maybe it's much like what I experienced riding dirt bike where crashes were very common, like every time I rode; it never bothered me then...probably because I rarely was injured.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I can't speak for others but I don't forget them and I don't particularly try to. In fact I can tell you exactly how many times I've crashed - 29 :)
My last one put me off the track for two years.
My first lap back at that circuit was fine as I was too busy to realise.
Second lap through the section where I was cleaned up from behind I suddenly realised and found I was focussing on it and could almost feel a bike about to slam my arse :)
I realised pretty quickly though and had gotten over it by the next time around. It's all just a mind game.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I probably should add that I've seen two racers die first hand and that stays with me much more than any of my own crashes.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I probably should add that I've seen two racers die first hand and that stays with me much more than any of my own crashes.
Yeah 100% true, even reading about that sort of stuff turns my gut.. While we are on the subject of crashing and other people there is also the case when see one of your ridding buddies constantly riding obove their ablity. Telling them they need to tone things down can be a delicate subject and a real test of friendship.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Yeah 100% true, even reading about that sort of stuff turns my gut.. While we are on the subject of crashing and other people there is also the case when see one of your ridding buddies constantly riding obove their ablity. Telling them they need to tone things down can be a delicate subject and a real test of friendship.
:confused: easy for me. If I am a true friend I cannot stand by and do nothing. That said I will stop riding with anyone on the street that does this (and avoid them at the track) as stupid breeds stupid and I have enough of my own.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
On the track I don't have any trouble with guys crashing (we learn the most from our biggest mistakes after all) as at least they're making the effort to improve their skills but I've ridden with too many of that type on the road and got sick of being involved. These days I rarely ride with anybody I don't know _really_ well.
I'll help anybody that's in trouble but riding with people where I'm just _waiting_ for them to hurt themselves or somebody else just doesn't do it for me these days :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's because they know what went wrong and they rarely make the same mistake twice would be my guess.

I had spills at the track and it stangely put a grin on my face cause I knew what happened and just couldn't wait to get out there again. I'm no racer btw tho'.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
We still make the same mistakes but we get much better at them the second time around ;-)

·
Registered
61 Posts
It seems as if you got a lot of good advice from mostly everyone that repsponded. I never forget a crash, and I have never crashed in the same corner due to the same mistake. Practice laps, track days, warm up laps, to me are learning sessions. Each corner has it's own characteristics, tolerances, and tendecies, which means it has to be approached differently. Crashing hurts, theres a news flash....wow, that's why I can remeber each one and don't do it as often anymore... Thank God........Good Luck and Be Safe and Go fast:)

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Well crashes are never going to disappear from your mind. You just have to learn to push them to the back, or just make way for new ones.

I learnt that from every crash, you can learn something you didnt know, unless it was another racer that caused it - still you could also learn something from that.

I first learnt what my blade was capable and what its limits where (With out falling down) and then i moved onto the track. Again what Platinum929 said, every corner is different. That is also true for the rider and his/her bike.

Crashing is always going to be there, just make sure you live to tell the tail.

Twincam

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think being able to overcome fear is one of the talents that a racer must have, and it could possibly be the difference between a common man and a racer. I often hear of racers riding with broken finger or collar bone. Knowing how much body needs to endure to control a fast moving motorcycle, it is amazing how much determination and control they have.
I've crashed several times on the track, and I couldn't help myself freaking out returning to the same spot at first. But one of the main advantage of being on the track is that you get to go through the same corner so many times that you can build the confidence again. Then you can move on hopefully with a new lesson. BTW, 3 of 4 crashes were due to cold tires...
It's a totally different story for me on the streets. I've crashed a couple of times in the canyons, and I cannot stop myself from slowing down A LOT at the same spot. My mind is replaying the crash scene as I go through the corner, and I cannot stop my right fingers from hitting that brake. To me the crashes on the streets were much more scarier, and hard to get over with.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I've had three concussions and the last one was huge. My lid was smashed from behind my left ear right around to the top. I remember _very_ little of the three months following the crash :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have only fallen once off my bike once so I don't have that much experience with it. But for me it was easy to get back on the horse as I pretty much know what happened and I had on my full gear. If anything I was kind of irritated and couldn't wait to get back on the track. :D

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
If a horse bucks you off you get back on. My horse tossed me down the side of a mountain three weeks ago. I climbed back up caught the darn thing and rode the piss out of her. My dad broke his wrist on one of our colts. He had to have a plate and four screws put in. He was back on him the day the doctor gave him an okay.

On a bike I think that .OrgOwner hit it right. You learn from it and try not to make the same mistake again.

I went down at about 65mph on my skis once. I just about flew into a pile of rocks when it happened, and it took over 300 yards to get stopped. I realized exactly what I had done and was right back there trying it again.

I went down on my CBR in our school parking lot. A girl pulled out directly in front of me. It wasn't my fault but it has made me much more aware. I thought I did a good job of watching and being alert before then but I am at a whole new level now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do not think it's about forgetting the crash.
From my perspective, it is more about not letting a crash or anything else make them lose their mental focus. The best racers either naturally or through learned techniques can put their minds into the right gear, no matter what has recently happened to them.

For example, Melandri at Laguna Seca? He had a high speed crash.
He gets patched-up continues qualifying and finished third in the race the
next day.

My guess, is that they do it often enough, that they can push themselves in the right state of mind. We are all different and I imagine
that for some it comes naturally and for other they have their own technique to get themselves in the right frame of mind, even right after crashing.

I am trackday rider (not a racer and not a street rider) and I find that somedays it is hard to get things to start flowing maybe because of a recent crash or maybe something else. Sometimes, well into the third session I'll be as much as 5 seconds slower per lap than the last time I was at that same track. Even though I really want to get into the right mental state to really enjoy the day and ride fast (for me). If I crashed recently, or something else has put me off, for me it becomes a real mind game.
Other days it comes easily. If I do back to back, or three days in a row, it usually it comes easily on the second and third day. When I am having trouble get things to flow, I have learned that I can not just decide to go faster when my mind is not in the right space. First of all, it takes all the fun out of it. Secondly, the harder I try the more tense I get and I start to slow down even more. I get nervous at a pace that is well within my normal range. It took me a while, but rather than keep fighting it,
I simply go back to working on the basics, like looking way-up the track, smooth trottle control, and trying different lines. After one, two or sometimes three sessions, like that, I get into the right frame of mind and
my speed comes up with thinking about going faster.

Anyway, that is my take on it.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts