Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to limit my kids computer time and have installed Netnanny (garbage) and Kidswatch (much better), but there is one problem. I limit the time of day that they can be on the computer, but they just reset the system clock. I am running windows XP Pro. The Kidswatch program is suppose to lock out the changing of the time, but it doesn't work. I can't be around durning the day when they are home from school and need to limit their use. Does anybody have any ideas? Oh, one more thing: They run Starswars Galaxy and it will not work unless I give them administrator rights. XP is different from Windows NT, in that I don't know how to limit (read only) access to selected files. It appears to be all or none. Do I have to move all of the files to a shared directory and limit it there?
Thanks in advance :confused:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
ULEWZ said:
I am trying to limit my kids computer time and have installed Netnanny (garbage) and Kidswatch (much better), but there is one problem. I limit the time of day that they can be on the computer, but they just reset the system clock. I am running windows XP Pro. The Kidswatch program is suppose to lock out the changing of the time, but it doesn't work. I can't be around durning the day when they are home from school and need to limit their use. Does anybody have any ideas? Oh, one more thing: They run Starswars Galaxy and it will not work unless I give them administrator rights. XP is different from Windows NT, in that I don't know how to limit (read only) access to selected files. It appears to be all or none. Do I have to move all of the files to a shared directory and limit it there?
Thanks in advance :confused:
Hmm tell them the next violation they lose the game and are not Admins :idunno: The other is you might be able to create a group and give the group admin but limit it's app access (of course I think they could change that as admin)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ND4SPD said:
See if you can get a domain going and set a policy for logon times allowed.

As for the rights, you should be able to just right click on any individual file and set the attributes
You would think, but it doesn't work that way in XP. At least on my 4 machines. Keep the ideas coming please. Oh, I have very smart teenagers whom aren't afraid to search the web for solutions to time restrictions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it's the net your worried about that can be done using a firewall and limit the time of that IP. If your using XP then you simply need to adjust the privileges of the user account that you set up for them. That will keep them from being able to change any system information such as time.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Sorry but it sounds like they are really messing with you, drop the hammer and revoke admin. Then make it clear why they lost that game and things can suck harder if they push you :evilaugh:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Max said:
If it's the net your worried about that can be done using a firewall and limit the time of that IP. If your using XP then you simply need to adjust the privileges of the user account that you set up for them. That will keep them from being able to change any system information such as time.
The starswars galaxy program requires read/write access to work. It updates the program all the time. I have not been able to enable read/write access without giving admin rights. Any links that might give step by step?

I have a D-Link DI-707P firewall/router, and it doesn't limit time while you are on. It just keeps your from logging on after a time limit (crappy if you ask me).

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Newfie TLR said:
:nono: That can get ya in trouble pal. I agree with ya, but our liberal law makers don't.
You're in Canada we're in USA things are different here. Just don't leave a mark.

I am trying to limit my kids computer time
Take the power cord with you, That will do it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Windows XP allows you to set up an Administator account. This account can restrict access to other accounts for time/date ect. Don't let them know the password or access the Admin account. We use this at work on all our XP machines. Good luck.

·
Registered
626 Posts
They should be able to run their programs as a power user, with that being said do the following:

1. Add them to power users remove from administrators

2. Edit local security policy(in admin tools folder)... under local policy\user rights remove power users from the update system time setting.

That should do it until they find a program to hack the security hash and give themselves admin rights...

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Maybe fix the problem, not the symptom: children disrespecting you and your direct, clear order. Face it, they going to get around your "fixes", thats what kids do. I say drop the hammer, remove the machine from their use and make them earn that privalage and trust back.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
G-Force Junkie said:
Maybe fix the problem, not the symptom: children disrespecting you and your direct, clear order. Face it, they going to get around your "fixes", thats what kids do. I say drop the hammer, remove the machine from their use and make them earn that privalage and trust back.
:wstupid: Did that with my kids years ago. Told them that the computer is a privilege, not a right, and if they don't follow the rules they don't get to use it. I had to "pull the plug" only once to get the message across that I was serious.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can you make then another account, just a different name other than Admin and give that account, no access to C:\Windows\System32\timedate.cpl ?

They should see the clock in the tray, but not be able to open it and/or change anything

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
BladeRider said:
They should be able to run their programs as a power user, with that being said do the following:

1. Add them to power users remove from administrators

2. Edit local security policy(in admin tools folder)... under local policy\user rights remove power users from the update system time setting.

That should do it until they find a program to hack the security hash and give themselves admin rights...
This seems to be the way, thank you so much. The thing I had to do first, was figure out how to make them power users. This was found on another site. It entailed:
Right click my computer. select manage/goto local users and groups/ goto users, select user, and rt click and select properties/ select the tab member of / add/ advanced/ find now/ select power users/ ok and you are done. After this, I remove power users from update system time settings as specified above. I hope this works and thanks again. I know it is a pain to type all the fixes to a persons questions, so I appreciate all the time and effort spent. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts