Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
In folders, categorized. The most important stuff gets scanned to CD, and goes with the original copy into a safe.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Holeshot : I manufacture them as needed.

I keep a daily diary and reference all receipts (purchase) in the diary. I enter all of them into my accounting system every 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
all my statements are scanned into my PC and copied when its backed up.
All the other items, (car ins, loan papers, taxes, etc) go into an accordian style folder..after a quick scan.
Debit card slips...I put those on my PC desk and when the statement comes in, confirm the amount matches and then shred it, then scan the statement and shred it.

Dont know why, but I went scan crazy recently..did 14yrs of pay stubs...

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
abtech : Quote (Holeshot @ July 28 2003, 8:13pm)I manufacture them as needed.

I keep a daily diary and reference all receipts (purchase) in the diary.  I enter all of them into my accounting system every 2 weeks or so.
You have some OCD issues don't you?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Willie : all my statements are scanned into my PC and copied when its backed up.
All the other items, (car ins, loan papers, taxes, etc) go into an accordian style folder..after a quick scan.
Debit card slips...I put those on my PC desk and when the statement comes in, confirm the amount matches and then shred it, then scan the statement and shred it.

Dont know why, but I went scan crazy recently..did 14yrs of pay stubs...
....and you too.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bills and other mail sit in a slot by the computer till I can get to it. Credit card receipts go into a folder called 'Unentered Receipts' until I have time to sit at the computer and enter them into Quicken. After the receipts are in, they go into a folder for the credit card (Discover, Visa, Chevron, etc). I reconcile the statements in Quicken and staple them to the bill and file everything to permanent storage.

Quicken handles most everything. I now pay most bills online through my bank - but for those that I need to cut a check, Quicken tracks it for me and I pay bills every few weeks.

They key is to develop a process that makes sense, flows the paperwork OK, is organized, and doesn't take too much time to maintain. I do accounting all day, every day at work - and it's the last thing I want to do when I come home from work. So I try to make it so it doesn't take too much time.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My wife and I bought a 4-drawer filing cabinet. It's much more simple to stay organized with seperate files for all your finances.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
A big, huge $hit pile on my desk. Its really sad. But amazingly I have never missed/forgotten/been late on any payment in my life, and I write out 21 checks a month. Actualy, when I get a bill, I write the due date on the corner of the envelope, and keep all the bills in one stack with the earliest one on top. A week b4 that, I pay bills for 2-3 weeks out. The stubs get thrown into a quazi-organized filing cabnet. I know there is a much betters system, but I'm too lazy to improve this one since it works and theres no real modivation to improve it.

Mike

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I just give them to my missus and let her sort them in to some sort of order, the only downside is, I have to ask her where she has put things, but maybe that's her way of making me think that i need her around

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
If I had your 'missus' email, I would definitely send her a pasted version of this entry . Not really, I wouldn't want you to get into that serious of trouble. (Trying to keep up, but you're good&#33.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Bacchus : If I had your 'missus' email, I would definitely send her a pasted version of this entry   .  Not really, I wouldn't want you to get into that serious of trouble.  (Trying to keep up, but you're good&#33.
I'm always in the , it's just the depth that varies .

My missus is pretty good actually, She has got used to my sense of humor and knows what to laugh at or too take seriously I think she knows what I think of her, seeing we got engaged a while back.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
She's laughing at this post now, don't know if she laughing at me or at you trying to dob me in

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I hold on to my reciepts long enough to verify the proper change and/or return policy.

Statements, sorta the same way, if all looks good, I'll keep it for a few months, but most stuff you can d.load from your companies for free now.

Anything worth while, like receipts for household goods and insurance purposes, I scan(with PIC of object in question) and keep on a back-up disk that I leave in a safety deposit box. (I backup every mo. or so)

Like I said, most of all your statements can be looked up online, from local gov/Utilities to bank and credit.
Not really worth having around anymore.
PS. My girl and I save about $10. a month in stamps alone from all the online pays.
Not to mention quickness of paying everything.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I pay every bill when it comes in via email or snail mail, usually same night. Pay the rent on the last check before the 1st every month. Regular payments (car and school) get paid every month on the 1st. Long term chit gets put in a file folder w/tabs. I used to keep a .xls for the bike stuff, but it hurt to much when I added up the $ spent so those receipts just get thrown into a folder

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I pile all my receipts in my wallet/floor of the car/drawers/folders/lunchbox etc.

When time comes, I search for days on end to get all the receipts I can possibly find, and do all th epaperwork about 2 weeks late

Very effective...

Z...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts