Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I for one think that the voting system in the US is really messed up. There is no good way to stay informed and make an educated vote. Also, I should be able to vote online. There are no excuses for me not being able to . If voting were available online, we just might see good voter turnout, but instead, voters have to deviate from their normal routines to go cast a vote for some "used car salesman" that they are in the end, still unsure about. Most of the time the voter probably doesn't even understand the job the elected official is intended to perform.

I'm not talking about just the presidency here. What about local elections? How do you all stay educated so as to not "waste" your votes?

HD

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Reading is the key.....and not just campaign spew....

Read the local and national news to stay informed about issues BEFORE the campaigns, form your opinions, and THEN listen to what the candidates say about them.

FWIW,
I think our voting system is pretty good....I don't see what value online voting would add....in fact I see it as a negative.

I want my leaders to be chosen by people that are willing to get involved and make an effort.....

No flames, just my 2 cents.... :)

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Staying informed isn't too hard - Not becoming jaded, cynical, frustrated, subject to raised blood pressure and disgusted...that's another story.

Your local reps will go out of their way to communicate with anyone they think will listen. Call 'em up. Go to a city council meeting sometime and see the mundane bs it consists of.

Go to every candidate's forum and stir the pot. Check out all the websites of the candidates.

I don't have a good handle on how to vote for judges.

For national office, pretty much al the candidates are being interviewed on the political CNN MSNBC FOX weekday programs, and every weekend on the networks. I like to watch Chris Matthews on hardball because he doesn't give anyone a break, even if he likes them. He has said he personally likes Dean, but provoked him to reveal his loose cannon tendencies on his show.

As for voting on line, that's the easiest way to have the government steal your vote. Think the NSA could fvck with any system devisable? I do. Do you think that either political party would hesitate to cheat if they thought they wouldn't be caught? Please. I want it in writing, countable and accountable.

It's not to much to ask for us to go to the polls, especially if you've invested time in your compromised decision. Especially when you consider how many men and women have died to guarantee our right to do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts