Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I was running a little late for church and decided to gas up afterward, instead of on the way. It meant that I ran with the light on probably about 35 miles or so. It got me thinking, what's the furthest any of you have gone with the light on (sort of like the Seinfeld episode with Kramer and the car salesman)?

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
As few as possible! I can't remember now how much fuel the bike takes once the light comes on, but I'm thinking you have at least a gallon left, so go from there with your mileage for an estimate. To be safe, obviously hightail it to the nearest filler upper as soon as possible.

This was a LOT of help, wasn't it?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Personally, I've run to the point where the bike stopped all by itself. Fortunately the gas station was only a block or two away.

The tank has 0.9 gal once the light comes on. Sooo, if you're getting 40 mpg, you should be fine to go 35 miles. Of course, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I tested the waters one time, and coasted into a gas station after what I recall being 38mi on the light.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I got a 178 miles out of a tank of gas earlier this year, in fact I went over 50 miles after the light came on (the gas station I was planning to use was having it's tanks replaced and it was point-of-no-return time.  Despite a mountain pass and traffic on a bridge.. I made it (on a wing and a prayer).

EDIT: I should clarify, that was riding the 929.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Gased up once and the 929 took 4.8Gal wich means I had .1 left!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I go as far as the nearest servo, do not like to push it too far, Coxy has had to push his oncebut I'm not sure how far he had got with the light on

·
Registered
998 Posts
Found out the hard way! on a few occasions ive gotten about 60ks (37Mi) but about 3 weeks ago the light came on and i had about 30Ks to the nearest service station so i thought i would have made it there easily so i was gassing it up! a bit and ran out about a mile from the service station on the motorway, it was damm hot pushing with my leathers on!

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
When I was 16 I was riding my dad's '76 Kaw KZ750. He rode it last and had to flip the reserve on during the ride home. Parked it and intended to go the the gas station first thing next time he got on it. Then I got on and didn't check how much gas was in it. I had to walk 3 miles ONE WAY to get to the gas station, then back 3 miles carrying a full gas can. Wouldn't have been too bad except I was walking on a knee w/ a blown ACL (I was on my way to a Dr.'s appt), got passed by 3 cops and a teacher. Did any of them stop? He!! no! But alas, in the end it was Robert Plant the said 'Nobody's fault but mine.'

·
Registered
94 Posts
I went 35 miles one day and I wondered how much further I could have gone,, but this thread has answered that.. It looks like I had about 2 miles worth of gas left.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I feel comfortable going 40 miles after the light comes on. Sometimes I start to get a little nervous after 35 wondering if I'll can find a gas station in the next 5

·
Registered
755 Posts
At times,I do miss my f3's reserve switch,bike starts to lose power,flip the switch!Now when the light comes on,I head for the station,I wear full leathers and do not want to see how far I can go.I still remember the first time the light came on,scared the crap out of me,I could not believe how bright it was in broad daylight!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've filled up in the country and got 17.9 litres in, the tank is 18L hehe

my blade has always had shite economy, I'll get 200km before the light comes on in all instances except when I'm at the track when I get about 140.

I got caught out on the track a couple of months ago, light came on, that's alright I'll last until the end of the session but 8 or so laps of 2.3km later I was coasting into the pits, so I got through 3L of fuel in probably 20kms!!

don't run out when you're cranked over in a corner like I did, it's very unnerving to say the least!

Ben.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I felt under normal situations I could cover 15 to 20 miles once the idiot light went on. Only late this spring it did not come on & I had walk to a fuel station to get fuel in an empty 1 qt ex-oil container & then make it to the fuel station. So now once I am around 200 to 220 Klicks on the trip meter I pull in to fuel up.
I would prefer a reserve switch over an idiot light. Fact is on my Yamaha 600r the stupid idiot light has stopped to work so again at around 200 to 220 I pull into a stn to fuel up.

·
Registered
682 Posts
When I am on unfamiliar hwys I will not hesitate to pull in to fill up for really I do not know how much father on for the next & often all I take in is something like 8.9L (like yesterday) when I decided to fuel up with tip meter showing I had gone 178 Klicks --- I simply was not going to gamble on the next fuel station being where the trip meter & engine would have die out at 195 Klicks of something. After all that was a high speed run (often honking by strings of cages in 5th at 200+KPH) of some 5 hrs & I fueled up quite often.
The doozer is when one is on back roads & doing a lot of milage in the lower gears plus cranking it on for IF one is counting on the given number of miles to tell one when to aim for a fuel station it is not going to work as one is using up a lot more fuel & if the idiot light is not working then even worse.

·
Registered
684 Posts
jafo : I still remember the first time the light came on,scared the crap out of me,I could not believe how bright it was in broad daylight!
I couldn't believe how bright that friggin' thing was either. At night it is damn near blinding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts