Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soon2b954 said:
Looks like you were pretty busy!! :goodmod: :thumb:
Yep. Something about March coming up and since last year was a total loss, I wanted to at least complicate matters before the season starts.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Swingarm is beautiful man :clap: How hard was it to convert? Did you have to machine anything? Keep up the good work. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! Thats some nice gear Abtech! :) I like the swingarm! very nice! :)

Looks like its almost time to eat some trackys :evilaugh:

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
NinerPilot said:
Yeah, I plan on adding a 02-03 swingarm to mine. Is this something that is done fairly easy?
Chris
Here are the parts needed, this is coming from Bill Staab on Rogue...

"These are the Honda parts necessary for a 02 swingarm conversion. 02 swingarm, pivot bolt, nut, washer, frame inserts left and right. What is missing in the picture is an 02 rear brake caliper mount, longer chain, and the bushing for the hole in the rear of the engine cases where the pivot bolt passes through "

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
booth23 said:
Swingarm is beautiful man :clap: How hard was it to convert? Did you have to machine anything? Keep up the good work. :thumb:
I had one of my sponsors (Haigh Aviation, a custom CNC and FAA certified machine/welding shop) make up the spacers according to WSTAAB's write up. That was the only machining. Unfortunately, the person I purchased the swingarm from must have been a strip em' and sell em' shop (not a chop shop, just hamfisted), as he beat up the castle nuts pretty badly and never quite understood what I was asking for in the parts list. A Rogue member (MRGRN) just sent me the rear brake caliper out of the kindness of his heart and wouldn't take any money :thumb:

The stripping and polishing took about 4 hours, and I did that before Christmas, but it just sat on the bench until last weekend.

In case no one noticed, that is a Squidskins Type 2 airbox (a total theft of Thorsten's unit BTW, as it even has all of his original markings from his mold in it). Although the Squidskins unit was reasonably inexpensive, all of the holes were totally wrong and I had to reglass the entire inside and cut new holes for the intakes and all the hoses. It took about 8 hours to redo it to where I felt it was acceptable, certainly no money saved there . . .

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Damn. I'd be really interested in what you get out of that airbox with your experience modifying/developing bikes. Do you have any plans for pistons or rods? I seem to remember you getting very, very nice HP figures out of the 929 and I'm curious to see what you get out of a '51. Keep us informed of your progress.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Hubba-hubba!

Abtech, where's the preload adjuster, did you run it up inside the subframe?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Pete said:
Hubba-hubba!

Abtech, where's the preload adjuster, did you run it up inside the subframe?
I haven't decided on where to put it yet and it's currently sitting in the battery box. I am redoing the electrics from the ground up and am relocating the battery and starter relay to a spot just below the oil filter (ala Thorsten's setup). All of the crap (can't believe how much cabling there is on this bike) that is around and behind the battery is being moved to where the battery originally lived and then the subframe will get chopped and channeled.

I am on the waiting list at BVH for a basic racer harness which should make some of the rewire a bit more straightforward.

Right now I am trying to decide on an exhaust system. The main consideration is not to loose anything and save some weight. Any additional power will be a bonus.

RE the cams and pistons etc., I am initially going to go the route I went with the 929 and not open the motor. We have been working with a developer on some "slightly" higher oxygenated fuel that should attain even better compression ratios than available with a full piston refit.

Time will tell . . .

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
abtech said:
(can't believe how much cabling there is on this bike)
No shit, huh? It was a bear just removing my rear pegs last night for all of the wiring running right across the bolts.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
booth23 said:
Here are the parts needed, this is coming from Bill Staab on Rogue...

"These are the Honda parts necessary for a 02 swingarm conversion. 02 swingarm, pivot bolt, nut, washer, frame inserts left and right. What is missing in the picture is an 02 rear brake caliper mount, longer chain, and the bushing for the hole in the rear of the engine cases where the pivot bolt passes through "
I have the entire document if anyone might be interested. I hesitate to post it here without the authors' permission.

·
Registered
148 Posts
abtech said:
We have been working with a developer on some "slightly" higher oxygenated fuel that should attain even better compression ratios than available with a full piston refit.
Huh?

You can only alter the cylinder compression ratio by altering the cylinder volume at full squish, either by increasing the piston height or lowering the head surface. Even assuming that changing fuel density could increase the compression ratio (which the amount it would vary would almost be immeasurable), an oxygenated fuel would always compress more than standard fuel at identical volumes.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Damn, I had a basic racer loom here for about a year that I could've given you. My mate just picked it up for his. Doh.
Let us know power figures. We ran HRC Pistons and cams in our race bike (Pictured under my name) and an airbox, blueprinted the motor, full Micron system, PCIIIr etc. Got about 148 at the wheel. That was on the SP1 too, so didn't have the bigger throttle bodies.
Gonna give it any more rpm?

·
Registered
289 Posts
G-Man said:
Huh?

You can only alter the cylinder compression ratio by altering the cylinder volume at full squish, either by increasing the piston height or lowering the head surface. Even assuming that changing fuel density could increase the compression ratio (which the amount it would vary would almost be immeasurable), an oxygenated fuel would always compress more than standard fuel at identical volumes.
Here's my guess... It's not nearly as hard to get more fuel into the cylinder as it is to get more air in the cylinder. This is we have a turbochargers, for example, and not high powered gas injectors. With an oxygenated fuel, you can run fatter at a given throttle setting and get, effectively, a higher air/fuel ratio. All without a whirring fan and compression lag...

·
Registered
148 Posts
spillover said:
Here's my guess... It's not nearly as hard to get more fuel into the cylinder as it is to get more air in the cylinder. This is we have a turbochargers, for example, and not high powered gas injectors. With an oxygenated fuel, you can run fatter at a given throttle setting and get, effectively, a higher air/fuel ratio. All without a whirring fan and compression lag...
A/F ratio has nothing to do with the cylinder compression ratio. Yes, running an oxygenated fuel allows you run you fuel delivery slightly fatter just as you can with a higher volume air filter (although filters are not a good option for the RC in most cases) but that does not alter the compression ratio of the cylinder at full compression. Once again that can only be achieved by changing either the static volume of the cylinder (hi-comp pistons or heads) or by compressing the A/F charge itself (turbos or supercharging).

Maybe Ab can elighten us to exactly how he has altered physics. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts