Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant believe that the cbr 954 is lighter than the 08 cbr1000 The 1000 looks so small. maybe its a misprint:idunno:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I cant believe that the cbr 954 is lighter than the 08 cbr1000 The 1000 looks so small. maybe its a misprint:idunno:
You are missing the fact that the 954 is rated in dry weight, the '08 is curb weight. The '08 is lighter by a long shot.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i went dwn to my local dealers yesterday and had a first look at the new bike in the flesh. shiny red .when i sat on the bike i did'nt think it felt a hell of a lot lighter than my 954. and bearing in mind that the new bike was empty of fuel.i pointed this out to the salesman who assured me that the bike was a hell of a lot lighter.but for me i don't know!

·
Registered
19 Posts
let's face it, the 954 was (and still is) an amazing motorcycle. Even in 2008, that bike is still holding much value, looks timeless, and stands strong against today's liter bikes (mind you it's nearly 50cc's smaller and 6 yrs old). In my opinion, the 954 is still the best CBR Honda ever made...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Lets face it, none of these sportsbikes nowadays is anywhere near the bikes that they can be thanks to such stringent country and state laws that show their ugly faces. I mean the bikes are good, very good. But what could they be if it were not for emissions regulations and such?

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey rokitt - as much as i'd like to agree with you, (and respect whatever you have to say) i'd take clean air, less sound polution, and basically better quality of life any day over having my bike unrestricted, lol. As for what bikes could be if there were no emissions or regulations... ummm, racebikes? lol, isnt that was a racebike basically is? ;o)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Lets see replace exhaust with aftermarket race spec thus getting rid of emisions valves and catalytics ...check.
Block of pair valves...check
PCIII and a custom map...check.

Oh hey that's all you have to do to bypass emissions:eyebrows:

Relatively cheap why don't you let us know how it does Rokkit.

All I lack is the PCIII and Dyno tune....I have reached the point where it's like seriously what's the point.

I would rather ride than talk about my bike anyway.

·
Registered
833 Posts
hey rokitt - as much as i'd like to agree with you, (and respect whatever you have to say) i'd take clean air, less sound polution, and basically better quality of life any day over having my bike unrestricted, lol. As for what bikes could be if there were no emissions or regulations... ummm, racebikes? lol, isnt that was a racebike basically is? ;o)

I've posted about this before but in a totally different thread. There was an article in Ride Magazine from the UK a few months back where they took an 07 CBR600RR and compared it stock vs. race can & dyno-tune. They found that with a race can, while there was more noise, a properly tuned bike actually made more peak power, more peak torque, got better gas mileage, and reduced CO emissions. The only thing bad about it was that NOx emissions went up, since that wasn't something they could properly clean up without the catalytic converter.

So, with that in mind, maybe if we had a smaller, lighter, less restricting catalytic converter on our bikes, one that was set up specifically to just reduce NOx emissions, and properly tuned bikes, yes we'd have louder bikes, but maybe we'd also have better performing bikes that were also more efficient?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The 954 rules. The 08 should be a LOT less, its got 6 years worth of technology that the 954 doesn't. And its ugly to boot.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
was'nt this thread about how much the 954 weighed compared to the rr8. come on someone must know.both bikes fully laden with fuel.
Well honda is givings you the curb weight of the 08 which is 439lb and 954 is 435lb according to Sport bike

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well honda is givings you the curb weight of the 08 which is 439lb and 954 is 435lb according to Sport bike
i read superbike magazine today and they quote a wet weight of 444.7lbs or 201.7kg. it seems like its getting heavier by the minute.although its still a nice bike.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Honda claimed 370lbs for the 954 dry weight.

The bike had a real world ready to ride weight of 434lbs.

I just found something somewhere real world ready to ride weight of the 08 1000RR was exactly 10lbs heavier at 444lbs this was not a claimed factory weight it is a real world measured weight.

·
Registered
514 Posts
dry weight is absolutely meaningless!

this is exactly why honda has gone to a curb weight standard. (and God bless them for doing so. let's hope the other companies show some integrity and follow suit.)

bettingpython's numbers are corect. magazines have numerously weighed the 954 and found it to be in the 430 lb curb weight range. honda publishes the 08 1000rr curb weight to be 439 lbs. since going to this new standard, i would be very surpised if they were to fudge this number (becasue they're the only company trying to be honest with their numbers).

so, the 08 is indeed 10 lbs more the 954. but the 08 1000rr probably has a lower center of gravity which makes it feel lighter on showroom floor.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts