Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just interested to know how many keys most folk have for there bike ?,i was lucky and got four with my bike, more than most. But there is a lot that just seam to have the one, Been riding and driving for 30 years never lost a key and hope never too. As it cost,s so much if you lose your only key, why do so many folk take that chance:idunno:

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts
Just interested to know how many keys most folk have for there bike ?,i was lucky and got four with my bike, more than most. But there is a lot that just seam to have the one, Been riding and driving for 30 years never lost a key and hope never too. As it cost,s so much if you lose your only key, why do so many folk take that chance:idunno:
Three

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I have a wall full of keys :)
I only have one HISS key for the 929 but that's permanently attached to the bike so it can't get lost and two standard keys for ignition and tank.
I have about a dozen GSXR keys alone and most of them look identical :)
I can't recall losing a key but I'm sure I must've done and I can recall having my keys stolen once. Most of my bike keys are a single key with no tag to mar the surface of the top clamp. The ZX6R came with a rubber Yamaha tag that I've never bothered to remove as it doesn't do any damage anyway.
Many, many years ago I parked over a road grate and managed to drop my CB1100F key in there. I was able to get it out after a struggle but I'll never park near one of those again :)
My stepdaughter borrowed my car once to visit somebody a couple of hundred kms out of town. And of course I got a phone call that evening to say the keys had been stolen along with her purse so that was a long drive to take spare keys out to her.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
:hmm: one.....

& hoping to go zero with the new fighter:D

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
:hmm: one.....

& hoping to go zero with the new fighter:D
I go keyless with the racebikes and just mount a toggle switch around the battery box.
I fitted a keyless wireless remote to the 929 but the very first day the battery went flat. I never nailed it down to the keyless remote as the specific cause but it wasn't a risk I was happy to take so I ripped it out and never installed it in anything else.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
I go keyless with the racebikes and just mount a toggle switch around the battery box.
I fitted a keyless wireless remote to the 929 but the very first day the battery went flat. I never nailed it down to the keyless remote as the specific cause but it wasn't a risk I was happy to take so I ripped it out and never installed it in anything else.
I just ordered one of them sensor ones from motogadget:D

no key, just a fob that needs to be put in close proximity to start the bike....
not sure how well it'll work but it'll be fun finding out:D

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I just ordered one of them sensor ones from motogadget:D

no key, just a fob that needs to be put in close proximity to start the bike....
not sure how well it'll work but it'll be fun finding out:D

I like the idea of those but I'm still a bit unsure about their reliability.
Having it attached to my race suit would would negate the possibility of arriving at the track to discover you've left the key home :)

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
I like the idea of those but I'm still a bit unsure about their reliability.
Having it attached to my race suit would would negate the possibility of arriving at the track to discover you've left the key home :)
will let you know how it works then.....

when i get it fitted:thumb:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could be a good idea for the track boys, (1) no key to worry about...
(2) when you get tipped off the bike will switch itself off........result.!:rotfl:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
(2) when you get tipped off the bike will switch itself off........result.!:rotfl:
If done properly, it's only required to start the bike. You can get off without the engine dying - that's what kill switch lanyards are for :)

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Ah! but do you use one....
Nope :)
I rely on the Bank Angle sensor to cut the engine if I'm lying down on the job :)
It is good insurance though for those times where you decide to fall off and the bike keeps going, usually toward the nearest concrete wall :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so how many of your bikes do you track then, is it a case of as they get older you turn them into track bikes ?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
so how many of your bikes do you track then, is it a case of as they get older you turn them into track bikes ?
Nope, I bought my '90 GSXR750 to race back in '89 and I plan to race it again as an historic bike.
My '98 GSXR750 I bought new and raced for a couple of seasons. Now it's in road trim but unlicenced.
My '85 GSXR750 I bought purely to race as an historic bike but plan to restore it to new when I'm finished.
My 929 I bought to race and then registered it for the road and then raced it again and now it's back on the road.
My GSXR1000 was bought purely to race starting this season.
My ZX6R was bought as a general track hack but I've only been riding it on the road so far.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Lol Bladeracer I've done the keys in the cattle grid trick too. Twice i almost had them out when a car comes zooming down the road and the bugger fall back as I scramble to get out of the way...

I also managed to throw my Dad's car keys into the sea once.
We'd been throwing stones off the pier and they flipped out my jacket pocket, arced across the sky and plop. Straight into the cold murky water of the atlantic in January. As we were a hundred miles from home without any possibility of my dad coming to our rescue - I've got his car - I had no choice but to strip of and dive in the try and find them. After about five minutes the cold really gets to you and your muscles get really painful and I just had to give up ( I couldn't stop shaking) Catch the train home, then a bloody expensive taxi, pick up the spare set and get another bloody expensive taxi back, then another train, then drive back the hundred miles to get a bollocking from the old man while slowly coming down with a mild case of pneumonia...jeez I felt a dufus that day.

Oh and two for the 954 and One for the 95RR

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Lol Bladeracer I've done the keys in the cattle grid trick too. Twice i almost had them out when a car comes zooming down the road and the bugger fall back as I scramble to get out of the way...

I also managed to throw my Dad's car keys into the sea once.
We'd been throwing stones off the pier and they flipped out my jacket pocket, arced across the sky and plop. Straight into the cold murky water of the atlantic in January. As we were a hundred miles from home without any possibility of my dad coming to our rescue - I've got his car - I had no choice but to strip of and dive in the try and find them. After about five minutes the cold really gets to you and your muscles get really painful and I just had to give up ( I couldn't stop shaking) Catch the train home, then a bloody expensive taxi, pick up the spare set and get another bloody expensive taxi back, then another train, then drive back the hundred miles to get a bollocking from the old man while slowly coming down with a mild case of pneumonia...jeez I felt a dufus that day.

Oh and two for the 954 and One for the 95RR
:rotfl: That is quite a story, the only dufus part was trying to jump in the water in January to find them, the rest was an honest mistake, but an A for effort.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I've got two for all of the main bikes...

The Hornet (I originally bought salvage with NO keys - it was then I learn't about the HISS system) but I luckily managed to track down the previous owner (who had the only two keys, the alarm fobs (at the time I never even knew there was one on her) and the history - it had done less than 2000 miles so wasn't much.

I've had to use tins (I currently have two for cars and one for motorbikes) to keep all the keys in or i'd end up losing them.

Note: Never leave your keys on your bike or in the ignition of even if it is in a garage/lock up. Also never leave your keys on show through any windows of your house - many victims were being broken into and robbed, then their vehicle being used as a get away vehicle.

will let you know how it works then.....

when i get it fitted:thumb:
The Harley Davidson's have that system installed on the UltraGlide :D
I think you had to be less than ten feet from the bike to start her, although I never did find out what happened when you walked away from the bike when it was running.
It did how ever ALSO have a steering lock so not sure what route you're hoping to go down.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
It did how ever ALSO have a steering lock so not sure what route you're hoping to go down.
:hmm: I'm thinking the good old fashioned......

huge chain and padlock*

*to beat any would be thieves to death with

1 - 20 of 20 Posts