Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rapidly approaching 9k miles and my brakes are starting to moan and graon, I checked the pads and theres still quite a bit of pad left. I am typically known as a late breaker so my pads will probably go slightly quicker than others, but to offset that I also use my rear brakes when approaching a known stop (i.e. red light, stop sign).

Just curious as to how many miles others are getting out of their brakes.

Also should I just bend over in front of the parts counter at the dealership or order some other brand from a site sponsor?

**Note: This thread does not apply to Chain or Chain-like others that dont even own a bike long enough to reach the 1st service :poke: :D

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Re: How many miles do you get out of your pads?

MrX954 said:
I knew you would post a comment like this :boxing:

Ive been out just about every non-rainy day :p
thats what I like to hear.

maybe I'll take a ride up to NH tomorrow if the weather is decent. any good roads up there?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I do a lot of backroads I've grown quite fond of, a trip around Lake Massabesic is always a good solid choice, plenty of fun roads around that area.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

CBR929RE said:
oh yeah, thats not even 10 minutes from my house.
Got a Bach. party there, not sure if we are taking the limo to there or from there to go down to the bars in Boston. Last I knew our mini-grand prix was 6pm but that could have changed.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LUCIDDREAM57 said:
My front pads went out on my 954 at 4,500 miles. The rear brakes are almost like new now with 5,100 miles.
Wow a response on topic. 1/2 the milage I'm at now and they were gone :huh:

Guess it may be time to replace them.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
That'll depend on your style of riding. Personally I would replace them just because they're 4yrs old. While you're in there do at least the brake fluid, but if you're so inclined do stainless lines as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry, about to threadjack, sort of:

My pads look like they have probably 40-50% left, but my lever is squishy. I think I may have boiled my fluid last track day. I was just going to replace the fluid and leave the pads. Is that a good idea? I read that when you replace pads, you need to put some miles on them before doing a track day. I have two track days next week and thought it may not be a good idea to change the pads prior to them. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would yes, When I recently replaced my pads it took about a good 100 miles before they really started to bite. I would worry about grooving my rotors with heavy braking on uneven pads. Then again, I'm not a track rider so a second opinion would be a good idea.

·
Registered
564 Posts
MrX954 said:
Wow a response on topic. 1/2 the milage I'm at now and they were gone :huh:

Guess it may be time to replace them.
Yea, well, I like to brake as hard as possible sometimes. It's good practice for when i'm really gonna need to stop in a hurry or get hurt. (no endo's either, I wonder how fast stunnas brakes go out???)

·
Registered
94 Posts
ND4SPD said:
You should clean your rotors with a Scotch brite pad or some very fine sandpaper.
That's when you change your pads, right? Will that eliminate the 100 mile lag until they give good bite?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
I don't know where you got this 100 mile lag thing from. :huh:

Yes, you should clean your rotors when you change pads. Put a few laps on the rotors, clean them again and scuff the pads up a bit too with the same pad or with a wire brush, then do a few more laps. By that time they should be good to go.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I got it from riding on the street, I just didn't get the stopping power I wanted/needed until about 100 miles after changing the pads. They are ebc HH sintered pads and the package said the braking would be reducing until 250 miles so I dunno. It's just my personal experience. I did scuff the rotors as well so thats a non-issue. I learned my lesson though, next time i'm going with OEM pads, perhaps thats the difference??? What pads are you running nd4sp?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts