Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 98 F150 4.2 V6 with a 5-speed (work truck). . It has a class 3 hitch and trailer brakes. Anyway I was wondering how big of a boat I can tow with it. You have to keep in mind that the boat will have to be launched and pulled out of steep and usually wet ramps. I know traction is a problem with what I have witnessed at boat ramps sometimes. Maybe better tires would help :idunno: . I would like to get an old Formula PC-28 but I think it is about an 8000lb boat. I'm pretty sure that is too much for the F150 to handle.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
What's the towing capacity of your truck? Have you looked in the owners manual? It's probably not much more than 5,000lbs. I wouldn't try towing more than 3000lbs with it. Get a truck with a bigger motor, automatic tranny and 4wd if you want to tow.

:twocents:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Look on your door jamb, the GVWR is there on the decal. I think you need more truck. My '03 F-150 with the 5.4L is rated for 8k lb towing capacity. That would include the trailer and such. I wouldn't push it with the limits. The tongue weight alone would probably ground your truck.

I attempted to move a 20' enclosed trailer (car hauler) with my truck and it damn near drug my hitch with the trailer loaded with household junk.

More truck (diesel heavy duty) or a smaller boat?

·
Registered
741 Posts
While we are on the subject take a look at THIS contraption... :idunno:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Not that this is any good....

A buddy and mine used to tow a 32ft Bayliner with an F150 and a V6 Motor...... We were only pulling it about 12 miles each way.... We did get stuck on the ramp once and thank goodness for a guy with a diesel dodge dually.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
did he say powerstroke

how many woodchucks could a woodchuck make if it could? More importantly, what does a woodchuck look like if a woodchuck was out in the woods in the daylight?

Err...maybe we shouldn't go there.

Back on topic. You need a bigger truck. Or if mechanically inclined, a bigger engine.. Personally, I'd choose a Kenworth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts