Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya All,

Short-$rse question

OK, you can buy susupension lowering kits (One claims, lower by 4.25" thats 108mm....)

But how much can you safely lower a 2007 CBR600RR? Be great to have a lower bike, but not if it keeps bottoming out riding along, and leaning over!

Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
the more you lower it the greater your chance of grounding the pegs and other parts in a turn. part of the reason why aftermarket rearsets are adjustable is for more ground clearance. I'd say leave it and just ride it unless you're a new rider and touching the ground is a problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had mine lowered 3" in the back and a bout a inch and a half in the front, wouldnt recommend any lower than that, but also expect it to ride and handle like ****. i put mine back to factory settings 3 months after i lowered it. as far as leaning you will loose a lot of clearance of the pegs in corners, if you are an agressive rider then i wouldnt lower it at all

·
Registered
254 Posts
expect it to ride and handle like ****. i put mine back to factory settings 3 months after i lowered it.
:clap:

Lowering = bad idea.

Unless it is drag strip only. Or a show bike. If you intend to ride it. Don't lower it at all.

I cannot flat foot both feet on my bike. Lowering it would be sacrilegious.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I forgot to mention that i wore a front tire off as quick as the back because it changes the rake on the front. Its not worth it if you can help it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Marty, how short are you?

I'm 5'1" and only lowered my CBR1000 one inch, the rest came out of the seat (Corbin). The rear is a Diamond Powersports rear link, the front is by sliding the fork tubes up about a half inch to level it out (remove the snap ring first). Don't know how much you weigh, but you might want to stiffen the suspension up to prevent bottoming if you do this..

If you lower the back, lower the front to keep it level or you will have handling problems.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marty, how short are you?

I'm 5'1" and only lowered my CBR1000 one inch, the rest came out of the seat (Corbin). The rear is a Diamond Powersports rear link, the front is by sliding the fork tubes up about a half inch to level it out (remove the snap ring first). Don't know how much you weigh, but you might want to stiffen the suspension up to prevent bottoming if you do this..

If you lower the back, lower the front to keep it level or you will have handling problems.

Hiya MSGT-R,

Corbin seats for cbr600RRs!?!?!?! Cool! 8) Good call! How did the lowering do for you?

I had the foam taken out of my 1996 CBR600. That did help, but its still the "Tip Toe" problem.

I'm, 5'6", with annoyingly shory legs - 25" inside leg! (Thatys 63.5cm without shoes.....)

Expensive bike, tip toe stance - Not very confidence inspiring, and really stunted my bike skills developement and enjoyments. U-Turns in a tight country lane??? Forget it, I'd get of and 3 point her etc!

Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
375 Posts
Learn to slide yourself slightly to one side when putting a foot down.
Your right foot should be on the brake anyway. My 03' 600 had a cut down seat (gel pad inserted) with a turn-buckle lowering link out back, and my 06' 1000 has all the stuff I mentioned before. I have a 26" inseam. I'll never get both feet down either. Keep in the back of your brain that you can only "fall" in one given direction at a time (only one foot required). :rolleyes:

Tight low-speed turns: slide your butt to the outside of your turn, drop that inside shoulder while looking where you want to go and counterweight the bike. Practice this in a parking lot and ease yourself into the technique. Drag the back brake a little if it makes it easier for you.. I demo this in a 20 foot wide box in the basic rider course. You can at least do this in 24 feet which is plenty tight to u-turn on most roads.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Learn to slide yourself slightly to one side when putting a foot down.
Your right foot should be on the brake anyway. My 03' 600 had a cut down seat (gel pad inserted) with a turn-buckle lowering link out back, and my 06' 1000 has all the stuff I mentioned before. I have a 26" inseam. I'll never get both feet down either. Keep in the back of your brain that you can only "fall" in one given direction at a time (only one foot required). :rolleyes:

Tight low-speed turns: slide your butt to the outside of your turn, drop that inside shoulder while looking where you want to go and counterweight the bike. Practice this in a parking lot and ease yourself into the technique. Drag the back brake a little if it makes it easier for you.. I demo this in a 20 foot wide box in the basic rider course. You can at least do this in 24 feet which is plenty tight to u-turn on most roads.

Hiya MSG,

I may just do some figure of eights etc during the Winter months! (CBR400 has crash bungs, hell why not! 8) )

Fab piccies - love the helmet design!

Gotta go, catch you later MSG! 8)

Best Wishes
Martin 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts