Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance some of you older folks who have graduated college can help me out here on this one? As a (somewhat) struggling ME student, I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anybody. I only ask on a bike forum because 1) It seems like there are quite a few engineering / technology type of people here 2) Nobody here knows me personally and therefore has no obligation to bend the truth. I know I don't post around here often, but would appreciate any insight anybody has to offer. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
As long as it's not horrible...in my opinion it's mostly just for "bragging rights."

When I got out and started looking for a job, it was all about experience. Most of the places I looked didn't give a crap what my GPA was, but instead were very interested in where I had worked and gained my experience.

:twocents: YMMV

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Dunno about that. When I applied at CBS the application stated that applicants with GPAs less than 3.85 need not complete the app . . .

My daughter has resumes out with the NSA, CIA and FBI. It took a 3.7 or better to even get the address to send them to . . .

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
IT is kind of a strange arena... they usually care more about experience than a degree. Mainly because most of the actual 'technical' schooling you received was probably already outdated before you graduated. Some of the foundations like systems analysis and what not don't change much however.

Every job I have applied for only cared if I had one or not. In fact, most didn't even care what the degree was in, just as long as you had it. Certainly no one cared what my GPA was. It was just a checkbox; "Education Level Completed - College".

Now, that doesn't mean that in the interview it wouldn't come up.

It also seems that people that really care about it usually went to "better" colleges. That's just my observations...

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
The most recent company I applied with had an optional spot for writing down your GPA with a note that it would be verified if provided but it was still optional.

I don't put too much stock into GPA as I went to school with people getting a 4.0 who had the common-sense of a rock.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
The most recent company I applied with had an optional spot for writing down your GPA with a note that it would be verified if provided but it was still optional.

I don't put too much stock into GPA as I went to school with people getting a 4.0 who had the common-sense of a rock.
on your last point I will totally agree. Street smarts don't correspond to a GPA by any stretch of the imagination.

I can honestly say that I have never obtained any work/job/account or contract because of my GPA or degrees. My usual comment is that I can take my degrees and $1.35 and buy a cup of coffee at the Big Boys as long as someone else picks up the tip.

I do know however that a lot of work, especially in the Gov't/National Security sector requires an original signed and imprinted copy of your degree credentials and transcripts with the GPA highlighted before they will even return an e-mail or written inquiry.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I don't doubt you about the fed stuff, I just don't have any first hand knowledge of it is all. :)

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I don't doubt you about the fed stuff, I just don't have any first hand knowledge of it is all. :)
You wouldn't frikkin believe the stuff my daughter had to provide with her app to the NSA (which is actually looking pretty good right now :eyebrows: ).

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
What is she going for there?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
You wouldn't frikkin believe the stuff my daughter had to provide with her app to the NSA (which is actually looking pretty good right now :eyebrows: ).
ummm yes I would ;)

OK here is my answer:
A high GPA is like a degree it will open more doors quicker. If you have a lower GPA some places may not care others will exclude you. However of those that exclude you there are other ways (hard work and experience) that you can enter via a alternative later.

As far as I know most Master's of Engineering programs require a 3.0. Again you will not be excluded without it, rather you will enter on probation or some other conditional way.

In short it is important BUT it is only a portion of the over all you. If it is going to be weak I recommend two things:
1) Improve it as much as possible while you can
2) Gain experience as this tends to override a low GPA (co-op, etc.)

Prepare to compensate for it just like you would any short coming in life and you will be fine.

Oh and if you have any intention of getting a Master's every day that goes by before you start decreases the odd you will enter a Master's program.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I work in Telecommunications/IT when I'm not working as a musician.
It has never mattered for me. The school I went to was very difficult. The college was local so when applying for positions they respect the institution and rarely, if ever, inquire about my undergrad GPA.

While in school I think it's more important that you do an internship in your field or start working if you can land a job, even if it's just part time. I went to school with people that focused on their degree only, and their GPA and they'd always tell me "I'm going to get 50k right out of college". I'd laugh at them and tell them they were in for a rude awakening. My first job in my field was for $10 an hour and they all said they wouldn't work for that and I'd say that you have to start somewhere. When I told them it was tech support they had this look on their face :rolleyes: By my senior year I was making over $70k per year with bonuses, I had busted my ass at school and in the workplace. In my last semester I had at least 10 people ask me to "hook them up" because they couldn't find anything, reason why...no experience. I laughed at them because I told them what to do and they weren't having any of it. They had really got on my ass about it prior so it was a rude awakening for them. Out of the people I talked to in college, 1/2 of them started waiting tables out of college or some other deal like that, the other half landed jobs in the field but very low pay.

I wouldn't worry about making A's in college but it really depends on what you are going to do. Doctors, lawyers, gov't jobs well you need the grade point average for that, especially if you are planning on going to grad school. My degree was MIS, and I made sure I did well enough in my business classes because I knew I'd be going after a MBA at some point in the future. My programming courses, well I did just enough to get by. Luckily, my business class grades were good enough to get me into grad school, albeit with a good GMAT score. You are doing right by doing your research before you start loosening your grip.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
ummm yes I would ;)

OK here is my answer:
A high GPA is like a degree it will open more doors quicker. If you have a lower GPA some places may not care others will exclude you. However of those that exclude you there are other ways (hard work and experience) that you can enter via a alternative later.

As far as I know most Master's of Engineering programs require a 3.0. Again you will not be excluded without it, rather you will enter on probation or some other conditional way.

In short it is important BUT it is only a portion of the over all you. If it is going to be weak I recommend two things:
1) Improve it as much as possible while you can
2) Gain experience as this tends to override a low GPA (co-op, etc.)

Prepare to compensate for it just like you would any short coming in life and you will be fine.

Oh and if you have any intention of getting a Master's every day that goes by before you start decreases the odd you will enter a Master's program.
Agree with sheep. Pick up an Summer internship somewhere and you will most likely get hired when you graduate. Especially if you plan on working in the Defense arena with a contractor. Internships are invaluable to getting your clearance started.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Any chance some of you older folks who have graduated college can help me out here on this one? As a (somewhat) struggling ME student, I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anybody. I only ask on a bike forum because 1) It seems like there are quite a few engineering / technology type of people here 2) Nobody here knows me personally and therefore has no obligation to bend the truth. I know I don't post around here often, but would appreciate any insight anybody has to offer. Thanks :)
Some employers care more than others. Even still it will only matter right out of college. I'm looking for jobs now, and any employer that is looking for GPA's i assume that they "don't understand" and I don't want to work for them.

Just my opinion, but I'm not right out of college either.

HD

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm an ME as well. My GPA was only like a 3.4 or something (school was ten years ago, can't remember exactly). It didn't seem to be much of hindrance at the time - but the job market has cooled considerably since then.

Any kind of internship would definitely be your best bet on getting hired right out of college. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts