Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am curious as to how often the chain really needs to be lubed up?

On my old Gixxer I lubed it up after almost every ride but that meant a lot of cleaning of the rim etc.

I am pretty sure that I read in Sport Rider at one time that every 1000k or so was enough. Is this true and when do most of you guys lube the chain?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
I lube my chain about every 300 miles. Remember to lube after a ride when the chain is warm.
I lube it about every 500km (~300 miles) or around every 3 refuels. I usually lube it before riding, because then the oil will be spread out to the chain. I don't carry the oil can with me, so the intervals between the "lube-sessions" may vary quite a lot.

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
We use Scottoilers on our bikes.. no need to remember when to do it, no mess and no hassle.. just check the reservoir every so often and top up as necessary :smilebig:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
We use Scottoilers on our bikes.. no need to remember when to do it, no mess and no hassle.. just check the reservoir every so often and top up as necessary :smilebig:
Rub it in why don't you :rotfl:

I normally do it every 4 refils which is about 450-500 miles

When the bike is up for its monthy wash, I use degreaser on the rear wheel and the fairings, leave it for a little while and scrub - it helps

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get into a habit of checking your chain once a week.

As above, every 300miles ( 500k's ) is good, but depending on how much your riding varies this can change a lot.

The easiest way of telling whether your chain needs lube is to check it from behind. Have a look at the rollers of the chain as it wraps around the rear sprocket.

If they are shiny, add lube, it's that simple.

You'll notice if you have recently lubed your chain and out on a ride that the chain rollers will look a murky gray color.
But don't worry yourself if your around the 300mile mark and the rollers look shiny, thats what the O-rings are for, you still have lube behind the seals.

SHINY ROLLERS - LUBE YA CHAIN.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get into a habit of checking your chain once a week.

As above, every 300miles ( 500k's ) is good, but depending on how much your riding varies this can change a lot.

The easiest way of telling whether your chain needs lube is to check it from behind. Have a look at the rollers of the chain as it wraps around the rear sprocket.

If they are shiny, add lube, it's that simple.

You'll notice if you have recently lubed your chain and out on a ride that the chain rollers will look a murky gray color.
But don't worry yourself if your around the 300mile mark and the rollers look shiny, thats what the O-rings are for, you still have lube behind the seals.

SHINY ROLLERS - LUBE YA CHAIN.
:plus1:

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Rub it in why don't you :rotfl:

I normally do it every 4 refils which is about 450-500 miles

When the bike is up for its monthy wash, I use degreaser on the rear wheel and the fairings, leave it for a little while and scrub - it helps

its not only the 'taking the hassle out of oiling your chain' which is a definate plus point.. they reckon using one extends the life of your chain by a huge amount so you will spend much less on replacing your chain..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts