Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Factory Pro Evo Shift kit for over a year now and I love it! No more missed shifts and I have a more confident feel with each shift... much more crisp and a better feel.

This doesn't have every single tiny step. However it does show the basic idea and you should use the bike manual for exact torque specs etc.
I paid $190 directly from factory pro FactoryPro Shift Kits, detent arm

For modern bikes 2005+ it appears factory learned to improve one or two of the parts... ie: for a new GSX-R it says "you only need the star" and that is $140 on the site.

For those with bikes that sell all three parts: the spring, arm, and star... BUY ALL THREE!

Or that's my opinion... it may cost more... but after Much review on forums the overwhelming concensus is to get all three if offered or be prepared to be unimpressed until all three parts are used (if offered).

In fact, I didn't think the factory pro spring was strong enough... Maybe I got a strong shift foot.. so I doubled up the stock spring AND the factory pro spring and loved the increased resistance (about X2).

Don't take my word for it... search around... some people out there might think the factory pro spring is to tough.

-Matt (Stillwater, MN):patriot:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This is what the inside of the cover looks like, you have to rotate the clutch engagement rod (after you disconect the clutch cable) so the engine case can come off

Here's the inside of the clutch cover... put it in a large plastic bag after you use a razor to peel off the left over gasket... you don't want dirt in the inside of the cover

·
Registered
834 Posts

Take this for what it's worth and good luck!

Just finished installing my shift kit this weekend. I noticed in your pictures the stock spring was in a different position from mine and even the placement for the factory pro spring is different from mine. The loop had to fit over the arm but the straight end was fitted up towards the gear you can see above the arm instead of down as in your pictures. Did you install the arm first then the star? Once I installed the arm with the spring I had to use a long screwdriver to pry the arm up enough to fit the star. The arm was very stiff and required quite a bit of pressure to raise it enough to fit the star. I wonder if this is why it didn't feel stiff enough for you.

The shifting feels much firmer now. Can't wait to try it out at the drag strip in a few weeks.

Do you notice that its harder to find neutral?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep the spring looks a little different because I retro fitted using the stock spring in addittion to the stiffer factor pro spring. I found it's even more precise and predictable... honda CBR's are notorius for catering to streetability from everything to the soft suspensions, cushy seats, easy clutch pull d/t soft springs, and even easy foot shift ease with the soft shift spring... Those things are nice, but I appreciate the extra effort in exchange for less mis shifts and tighter clutch (with stiffer clutch springs).

And no, it's not more difficult to find neutral:)

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for this nice write-up. I'am realy considering to do it myself. I have a technical background, handy enough, but it looks like a challange. Just need a second pair of handy hands and i go for it.

How long did it take you for the whole job? approx?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts