Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here but I my new 954 needs new oil, and I saw there was no write up. Enjoy.

OIL CHANGE ON A 2002 954RR:
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage or injury!

Tools and Materials:

3.7 Liters of Oil (10W40)
1 Oil Filter (I used HiFiltro?)
12mm Socket (ended up using vice grips instead)
Philips head screw driver
Allen Wrench to remove lower cowl (not sure of size)
Oil catcher

Step 1. Drool over my bike.

Step 2. Remove the lower cowl by removing bolts marked in yellow.
One bolt is difficult to get to... make sure you get all of the bolts out. Payy attention to which bolt came from where, they are different.

Step 3.Run the bike for 5 minutes to get the oil warm. Turn the bike off for a few mins before you get started. Be careful, do not burn yourself. I set mine up with a mat underneath to catch any oil. Place oil catch tray under the bike.

Step 4. Remove the oil filler cap. Marked in the picture below

Step 5. Use the 12mm wrench, remove the oil bolt marked in the picture. Be careful, hot oil is going to come pouring out in to the oil catch tray.

Once all the oil is drained....

Step 6. Remove the oil filter, you can use a filter wrench, or just pure muscle :)

More oil will drain out, some may drip on you the headers if you do not jerry rig something to stop it.

Step 7. Replace the filter with a new one. Use some new oil to lube the O Ring before screwing it back on.

Step 8. Fill 3.7 liters of new oil through the oil filler cap. Use a funnel. Be sure to replace the oil bolt beforehand.

Clean up. Wipe down any oil on your blade... some oil that dripped on your headers may burn off when you first start the bike. Check for leaks.

Replace the lower fairing... ride. Check the oil level through the glass after running for a few minutes.

ENJOY!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Thanks!:plus1: Had my baby out for a few weeks now, but haven't rode too much, figured I might as well go through and change everything out, glad you posted pics, this will be my first *ahem* attempt at playing Mr. Moto-Fixer Dude (unofficial title :eyebrows: ) If this goes well, maybe I will learn how to clean the injectors!!!:rotfl:

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Do you know what size the oil drain plug gasket is? This'll be my first oil change on my 954, I don't know if there's a copper gasket on there now (which I can reuse) or if it's got a fabric one on there (or maybe none at all?).

It's an aluminium crush washer, although copper would be fine also.
You should be able to reuse it just fine as long as you clean the plug and the sealing face of the sump before reinstalling it.
I'd guess it's a 12mm or 14mm washer.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Great write-up JD :)

I recommend cracking the sump plug and filter before warming the engine up to avoid burns from the headers, and let the bike sit for a few minutes as the headers will cool much faster than the oil inside the engine.
I put a bunch of newspaper down under the catch tray to catch what the tray doesn't.
And I cut the side out of a two-litre Coke bottle and put that over the headers for the oil to run off.
And be sure to clean the catch tray as you want to be able to see any metal or debris that comes out with your oil.

·
Premium Member
14,716 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here but I my new 954 needs new oil, and I saw there was no write up. Enjoy.

OIL CHANGE ON A 2002 954RR:
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage or injury!

Tools and Materials:

3.7 Liters of Oil (10W40)
1 Oil Filter (I used HiFiltro?)
12mm Socket (ended up using vice grips instead)
Philips head screw driver
Allen Wrench to remove lower cowl (not sure of size)
Oil catcher

Step 1. Drool over my bike.

Step 2. Remove the lower cowl by removing bolts marked in yellow.
One bolt is difficult to get to... make sure you get all of the bolts out. Payy attention to which bolt came from where, they are different.

Step 3.Run the bike for 5 minutes to get the oil warm. Turn the bike off for a few mins before you get started. Be careful, do not burn yourself. I set mine up with a mat underneath to catch any oil. Place oil catch tray under the bike.

Step 4. Remove the oil filler cap. Marked in the picture below

Step 5. Use the 12mm wrench, remove the oil bolt marked in the picture. Be careful, hot oil is going to come pouring out in to the oil catch tray.

Once all the oil is drained....

Step 6. Remove the oil filter, you can use a filter wrench, or just pure muscle :)

More oil will drain out, some may drip on you the headers if you do not jerry rig something to stop it.

Step 7. Replace the filter with a new one. Use some new oil to lube the O Ring before screwing it back on.

Step 8. Fill 3.7 liters of new oil through the oil filler cap. Use a funnel. Be sure to replace the oil bolt beforehand.

Clean up. Wipe down any oil on your blade... some oil that dripped on your headers may burn off when you first start the bike. Check for leaks.

Replace the lower fairing... ride. Check the oil level through the glass after running for a few minutes.

ENJOY!
:clap: Excellent instructions and pictures. Rep deserved. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
any chance you could do a step by step for replacing the stator? I just did mine and its making an unpleasant rattling sound and I can smell something rubbing.. not good!!

Is it in the right way around?
Did you follow the manual?

·
Registered
3 Posts
in true have-a-go herbert style I did not have a manual, i took pictures of what it looked like when it came off and tried to follow them going back on. what I'm worried about is if it isnt a mis aligned stator its something more internal which will really toast my sandwich

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.