Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a computer from work for the kids to play on at the house. My neighbor suggested running Linux on this as the kids seem to get computer screwed up with viruses and this Linux is supposed to not be succeptable to this.

Here is my question, He give me a CD of "Puppy Linux" just to see if it would run on this computer. But I have to get the computer to boot up from the "F" drive? Some how he (on his computer) pushed some buttons and got to a screen and re-booted and it ran from his CD rom.

How can I do this?

It is now running WIN NT if that matters.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Re-boot the computer by shutting it down and then turning it back on. Look at the text that shows up immediately after power-on than says something to the effect of "Press DEL for Setup". Common keys are F1, F2, Delete, and Escape. Press the key it says to hit.

That will get you into the pre-boot setup. Look for the "Boot Order" or "Boot Priority" screen.

Oh, and god help you if you have an old dell. You have to start them from a special Setup Floppy.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It did not explode but it did not do much of anything else either.

F8 done nothing at all, F1 brought some screen up about searching something & F5 made the screen blink and F? asked me to shut down the computer.

What next?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Dude, you have to turn the thing off first. Sounds like you have Windows NT still running. Shut it down, power it off, and as soon as you turn it back on take a look.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
What model dell is it? Or even better, look around for a sticker on the back or bottom that mentions an Express Service Code or Service Tag. That will tell us tomes of information. It may only be a barcode sticker with a 7 character code on it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
When you turn on the machine and the Blue Dell logo appears, hit the Delete Key. You can hit it more than once, it won't kill it.

When the setup screen appears, hit the right arrow to go to the "Boot" benu. You will see a screen like the attached pic.

Press the down arrow until you reach the Boot Device line that contains the CD-ROM drive. Press the "+" sign to move it up the list so that it is above "Hard Drive".

Press F10 to save your changes and exit. If it asks you to confirm the exit, choose yes.

Have the CD-ROM in the drive... it should boot on the CD with no problem.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
navydevildoc said:
When you turn on the machine and the Blue Dell logo appears, hit the Delete Key. You can hit it more than once, it won't kill it.

When the setup screen appears, hit the right arrow to go to the "Boot" benu. You will see a screen like the attached pic.

Press the down arrow until you reach the Boot Device line that contains the CD-ROM drive. Press the "+" sign to move it up the list so that it is above "Hard Drive".

Press F10 to save your changes and exit. If it asks you to confirm the exit, choose yes.

Have the CD-ROM in the drive... it should boot on the CD with no

problem.

I'll try it, You sure it won't blow up in my face or something.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It did work, but it told me I was too stupid to be this far into the computer and to bring it to someone smarter that me.

The puppy tried to load but needed some other stuff D/L from the net to work so it will go to my neighbor (he is an ISP and geek) tomorrow for a tune up.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
OK here is the true skinny. Yes Linux is harder to infect BUT it won't play the kids games etc. The better answer is some good virus s/w and firewall. Also you can set up accounts for the kids with less priveledges.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The kids do not like the PC games + this PC is only like 500mhz so it will run limited games at best. So gaming is not a concern, they have a playstation to do that on. It will be mostly for word processor and internet viewing for the kids.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts