Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have a problem with my 929 it has a tendency to drain my battery fast and by fast i mean like 2 times around the block i think it will stay on but when i turn it off to go to like the store coming back to turn it on it will be sorta sluggish like if battery has drained so my question is is the stator not working or how do i check if it is thanks any help will be appreciated:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
there is alot more to it than this, but a good starting point is rev the bike up to 5000RPM put the headlight to high beam, and you should measure a charging voltage of about 15V across the battery terminals, bear in mind your battery needs to be healthy for this test

·
Registered
375 Posts
A multimeter and a book will be needed to further check the charging system.

The stator has three leads that should be isolated from each other, and have a specific ohm value per circuit. Charging rate (as per above) is a test of the voltage regulator. There are other tests as well, but you'll need to get your hands on a book, or give it to a tech for testing.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i did some tests to get to the conclusion that i need a new stator haha thanks guys for the help and the web pages that helped a lot

·
Registered
1 Posts
A little bit late but it might help other guys
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/pdfs/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

usuasly it falls under following senarios:
- short to ground (it touches engine cover ), using multimeter you have continuity to - from battery to any yellow cables from stator
- blown wire (one wire is interrupted ), you measure resistence between all three yellow cables , shoul be less than 1 ohm
- shoer between wires in on coil - if you measure the voltage while ingine running and stator cable disconected, you find very low voltage , should be more than 40Volts. If shorted , you, have 4, 10 , 15 volts, depending how bad is.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts