Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 929 and its a Cali model. What can I do to convert it to a 49 state and get some ponies back without it having a negative effect on the bike?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Sell and buy a 49 state model? ? In past Hondas the CA model had a different CPU and cams, not exactly an easy or cheap fix. I don't know if this is the case with the 929 but one thing is for cetain, those 49 state models have no o2 sensor. Do you have a catalytic too?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I thought the Cali bike was only down 1 hp over a federal model? just get a full exhaust or 1/2 system get rid of the O2 sensor install a resistor to keep the check light off and a pc3 you should be ripping

·
Registered
576 Posts
Eliminating the O2 sensor won't give you any hp. It only comes into play at nearly closed throttle such as when droning down the freeway, where it leans out the mixture. Your gas mileage will drop by 10-20% if you eliminate the O2 sensor without doing anything else.

The California models have a more extensive fuel vapor recovery system than the 49 state models do. The best thing you can do to get your bike to 49 state status is to eliminate the charcoal canister, which will save you maybe a pound. I'm pretty sure the 49 state bikes have a different fuel tank too. If you get a slip on, you'll eliminate the cat.

The days of HP robbing emissions equipment are all but gone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike already has a full highmount hindle exhaust and the o2 sensor has been taken out for the hindle to fit. I did notice that the bike guzzled gas a bit more compared to racercutie's 929, which is a 49 state. So, it modifying it to a 49 state bike will only gain 1hp, what can I do now about the incresed fuel consumption?

·
Registered
576 Posts
One other thought... you may be able to weld on an adapter for your new pipe so it can receive your O2 sensor. I know some full systems come with an O2 sensor receiver, so I don't know what would prevent you from adding one onto your system.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Get a full Arata system for Racercutie's 49 state 929. Then take it to Dan Kyle so he can make a map for it. Then, Dan can send me that map for my 49 state 929, as he currently only has a map for the Arata for a CA 929. Sorry, I'm no help!
I just wish I trusted someone around here to make a map for me, but I don't know of anyone. Dan's a bit too far for me to travel, although a cross-country road trip would be fun.
Good luck with your endeavor!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Cams are the same. As mentioned the fuel tank is different, but it's only at the filler. The cat is there, but done away with a slip on.

Basically, don't worry about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts