Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inside of my helmet stinks, smells like sweat, not pleasant. the cheek liners come out but the rest of the fabric doesnt. how do you guys get them to smell better? spray some air freshener in it?:huh:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Try a mild carpet cleaner that foams up-it works great after a trackday when the helmet is completely filthy-plus its a cheaper alternative to the helmet specific stuff. just make sure it completely air dries before you wear it again.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I use remove all liners and then wash in the dishwasher, sometimes my washer machine chews up small pads. For the the parts that are non removable i use carpet cleaner and a soft bristle brush. i am lucky cause i got 3 helmets so i rotate them constantly to let the other ones air out.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
get a better helmet.

my suomy vents so well if there is any funk in there it usually doesn't stay long. plus the full liner is removable and washable. I do it by hand (instructions say do it by hand) with a little laundry detergent then let it air dry.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I always get looks because I wear a doo-rag. Well, my helmets have no funk smell. After a ride the rag gets washed in the laundry with the rest of my clothes.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I store mine with the visor open and never had this problem...

And I stuff my gloves inside most of the time - maybe the smells cancel themselves out.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My Arai is like yours, only the cheek pads come out.

Fill it full of water and use shampoo to scrub the interior. Rinse well, air dry. Works great!

·
Registered
306 Posts
My solution is to crash often enough to get a new helmet every 10-15 track days. I barely need to clean my vizor before a new helmet is needed. I'm on my 3rd Shoei Z-One in little over a year. I know, this is not quite a perfect solution, but what can you do...

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
EatnAsphalt said:
Fill it full of water and use shampoo to scrub the interior. Rinse well, air dry. Works great!

Use baby shampoo, because if there's any residue, it won't burn your eyes when the sweat carries it down your face.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts