Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a slightly dented CBR 954 tank that had been poorly painted in the past. Since it was so messed up I decided to write a how to on how you can get an awesome paint job done on your entire bike following the How to I wrote here.

It's a rattle can job with Duplicolor Perfect Match... it's basically high quality auto paint pro's spray with their fancy HVLP guns but loaded in 8oz aerosol cans with nice spray nozzels that lay paint down evenly.

I use the rattle can to show how easy it can be to paint well with minimal resources, room, and supplies.

So here's the tank... basically painted with thick outdoor rustolium crap.

·
Banned
681 Posts
I never liked the short lived life of spray can paints. I live in FL, intense sunlight ruins the paint in a season here. Automotive paint holds up many years longer, and pays for itself over time. This was my ST1100, I removed the panels, dropped it off at the local body shop, black was cheapest, and $400 later I resold the bike for $1600 more. I liked it so much I almost kept it.
Nice pictures, but the rattle can for my area makes it an impractical solution.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice work they did for you!

You're right about typical spray paint fadding in the sun. However the Duplicolor clear I put on has UV protectant just like proffessional clear.

The paint is the same stuff you'd buy at an auto shop for you HVLP gun except it's mixed and ready in the aerosol can:)

If you go to the Duplicolor website there are guys who posted up pics of how they painted their $50,000 muscle cars etc... paint still holds up years later... but you're right you can't beat a good HVLP paint job... this is just a how to for DIYers with budget and space limitations...

It's an alternative to just forking over hundreds of dollars:thumb:

·
Banned
681 Posts
There was an attempt to use spray can paint, considering the per can cost is about $8 a can, a full fairing bike could take several cans, then you have masking tape and other supplies, prep, sanding, primer, and when I was done I had about $120 up front before I began. I returned what was left when I saw how lousy a job it was (fisheye, easy sagging) on the saddle bags. (some left over wax or cleaner on the surface remained, and the bags were plastic so I feared melting them using something too strong on it. Just a lack of experience, not seeing your thread earlier, etc. : )

For the extra $280 I invested, I got a professional job, with a clearcoat finish, 2 stage paint job, DuPont brand. There was no equal, he was a pro at applying it, and I didn't have to worry about over spray all over my garage floor, or a place to let them dry without bugs or sand getting blown on it.

MattCBR said:
If you go to the Duplicolor website there are guys who posted up pics of how they painted their $50,000 muscle cars etc...
I'll check it out. Thanks.
Got any advice on touch up with a paint chip on the tank?

There are decent spray guns at Harbor Freight, and buying a pint of quart of "real" paint, reducer, thinner, hardener, can be done if you already have a decent air compressor. Talking a buddy into getting his bike done at the same time would split expenses and that quantity could easily paint two bikes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
@ Matt, nice how to thread. Real good pics, tips on the pics, and on the primer, paint and clear. Definitely not a DIY for just any person, and those that do choose to DIY, are more proud of the fact that they did their own work, than in being interested in saving a few hundred $$. Good pointers on the clean up mess, extra materials, and overspray warnings by all the other thread posts. This is what a forum is about....nice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Now thats a pro job if ever I have seen one.

Bollocks to stripping though, id rather pay for media blasting.

Also I hate spray cans, IMO you have to be an expert to use one. My mini garage compressor £90 from Halfords & a £15 HVLP spray gun will shoot paint on so its almost dry to the touch in 30 seconds. I need all this kit to do a half arsed job LOL

Again, im well impressed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts