Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ok wow... spray Bomb a motorbike. :( if you like okay but I hope anybody else who wants to paint their bike spend few extra bucks vs some spray paint ****. If you paint paint once and be done. Not spray paint everytime gas hits it or any solvent touches it.
Go spend fifty bux on hvlp gravity feed gun and buy real paint. Don't waste time and hard earned money on spray paint for a machine that gets rained on sun shine gas etc from time to time IT WILL NOT HOLD UP. From a painters experience it is waste of your time and money. Unless you like fixing it every few months.
and NEVER put color over 600grit. 400tops anymore your paint has hard time hanging on. As far as glazing putty its a very minimal filler that Will pop and Crack if used to fill a dent. Not this week or next but IT WILL.
you can't cheapo a nice paint job that will last.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Matt how long did you wait in between coats to start sanding? Did you mostly wet sand? And why so many primer coats? Seems like you did four primer coats, one paint coat and another four clear coats. Also did you sand down the last clear coat and then buff it?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok wow... spray Bomb a motorbike. :( if you like okay but I hope anybody else who wants to paint their bike spend few extra bucks vs some spray paint ****. If you paint paint once and be done. Not spray paint everytime gas hits it or any solvent touches it.
Go spend fifty bux on hvlp gravity feed gun and buy real paint. Don't waste time and hard earned money on spray paint for a machine that gets rained on sun shine gas etc from time to time IT WILL NOT HOLD UP. From a painters experience it is waste of your time and money. Unless you like fixing it every few months.
and NEVER put color over 600grit. 400tops anymore your paint has hard time hanging on. As far as glazing putty its a very minimal filler that Will pop and Crack if used to fill a dent. Not this week or next but IT WILL.
you can't cheapo a nice paint job that will last.
You couldn't be more wrong 900rr.

It's not **** spray in a can like most spray paint. I could easily use my Binks HVLP gun but not everyone has $200 for a gun like that. The whole point of the job is to proove you can get a nice paint job with minimal equipment and experience. Just go to the duplicolor website to see all the uploaded success stories... or google the perfect match line and see the hundreds of examples of great results.
Dupli-Color :: Success Stories - Motorcycles

Here's my tail... painted in the exact same way and it's held up great, no cracking of my plastic welding or bondo work, paint chips, etc.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/articles-honda-fireblade/98451-how-paint-graphics.html

My friend Steve who I painted the tank for (and now rebuilding his trans) says his tank is fine... he parks it in the sun, rain, etc (doesn't have a garage currently since he moved).

As far as your painting tips, that's bunk too. If you read the on the duplicolor tips and youtube videos they recomend painting over 600 to avoid having to color sand (in which case you'd use a higher grit anyway)... Do you know the point of primer is to provide an ideal paintable surface? Seriously have you ever painted anything? my God painting over 400 would look like a cat's scratching post ROFL...

Then on to the bondo... I clearly state not to use it for more than an 1/8th inch... filling small dents is exactly what the product is for read the very front page of their website lol:

"So, whether you have a ding or dent in your car, rock scrape on your boat, or the many cracks in your home, trust the Bondo® brand to have the right product for the repair." -http://bondo.com

I'd be the first to admit I'm not a pro. But I've successfully replicated the results on the several bike paint jobs I've done by following the manufacturer's instructions... If you come on to a thread to attack someone's work you should provide sources or at the least sound like you know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Matt how long did you wait in between coats to start sanding? Did you mostly wet sand? And why so many primer coats? Seems like you did four primer coats, one paint coat and another four clear coats. Also did you sand down the last clear coat and then buff it?
Sorry, for some reason Tinypic where I use to upload the pics slowly either changes the picture source code or something and the picture telling you that step is dropped.

Waiting between coats depends on how thick you lay it on and your painting conditions (humidity a big factor)... but usually ten minutes or so.

I had to use so many primer coats because it was a beat up tank.

It took several layers of paint coats yes... and through my later experience I found that color sanding is not needed (although duplicolor says you can). You can get the same results by waiting and just sanding with 1500 and 2000 of the final clear coat.

Here's a second write up on another job I did with even better directions:)
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/articles-honda-fireblade/98451-how-paint-graphics.html

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you come on to a thread to attack someone's work you should provide sources or at the least sound like you know what you're talking about.
everyone's an expert on the internet....

i know several people who don't post useful info like this on forums anymore because there is always someone coming along to spout off criticism whether or not they know what they're talking about. thanks for the effort putting this together.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
An older post, but I personally thought this was a great information and should probably be stickyed.
I tried painting my bike with an HVLP gun and got bad rattle can results, because I didn't know all the steps involved and the amount of time REALLY required to get a good finish. I used the pro Dupli-Color stuff and found out the hard way that prep work and inbetween steps are probably the most important steps in getting a good finish, with either rattle cans or HVLP.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
An older post, but I personally thought this was a great information and should probably be stickyed.
I tried painting my bike with an HVLP gun and got bad rattle can results, because I didn't know all the steps involved and the amount of time REALLY required to get a good finish. I used the pro Dupli-Color stuff and found out the hard way that prep work and inbetween steps are probably the most important steps in getting a good finish, with either rattle cans or HVLP.
I didn't read the lot, but enough to agree with you :)
Stickied.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good explanation of home rattle can painting!
After much trial and error and learning, I managed to do an acceptable Krylon rattle can job on my 1997 Ducati 900 SS/SP track bike. Banner Red and Ivory. Perhaps Duplicolor clear coat is better, but since I've had poor luck with one-part spray can paints holding up to gasoline, I had my automotive painter friend clear coat over the decals and pin striping. I'm quite happy with the results, and most people have trouble believing it's a backyard job. It can be done with much patience and elbow grease, but it was fun doing it myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Good explanation of home rattle can painting!
After much trial and error and learning, I managed to do an acceptable Krylon rattle can job on my 1997 Ducati 900 SS/SP track bike. Banner Red and Ivory. Perhaps Duplicolor clear coat is better, but since I've had poor luck with one-part spray can paints holding up to gasoline, I had my automotive painter friend clear coat over the decals and pin striping. I'm quite happy with the results, and most people have trouble believing it's a backyard job. It can be done with much patience and elbow grease, but it was fun doing it myself.
Dude, it looks beautiful! Great job!:thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks. It was actually fun. One thing you can't tell is that there were actually 2 holes in the tail section from a previous track crash. Yay fiberglass (and Bondo)! I couldn't see paying someone for a fancy paint job on a track bike, which pretty much guarantees a crash anyway :eek:!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Truly one of the best DIY I have seen in my 30 years riding - Outstanding amigo!

·
Registered
46 Posts
21 - 33 of 33 Posts