Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scuffed up the alternator cover, and as you would guess is cracked. Picked up a new one (servicehonda.com - good prices), went to pull it late last night and there seems to be something holding it in. Any advice before I apply the tug and watch method?

Figured I would throw a post up, check things out as its been a while, and two hours later here I am getting around to my post.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You ever hear about those rare earth magnets that are so strong they can break fingers if allowed to touch each other? Well, you have one inside there. You may do a little prying to get that out. It gets better with practice. Just ask any cbr1000rr owner...

Unfortunately, your stator is not an "alternator" with an efficient adjustable field circuit like in your car. Its a simple generator with a shunt type regulator/rectifier. What's that mean? The electrical power you don't use is shorted back to the coils! That's why we don't call it an alternator. And why these things burn up often.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I started my seach with "stator cover," but the Honda part I ordered was listed as "Alternator Cover." I didnt know the difference, so thanks for that too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: there are two part numbers listed as working with a 2000 929, 11321-MCJ-305 and 11321-MCJ-306. I ordered from servicehonda.com, was told they no longer stocked the 305, but that there was no difference, and the 306 likely replaced the 305.
The 306 came in this morning, and it looks right but there is an internal raised ring to support the ____(i dont know the name of the part) that is too small. Part doesnt fit, I guess ill be on the phone with them to try and sort something out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using the ronayers.com microfiche, I couldnt check out the legend... Well, I know Ive seen discussion on it before, but it looks like I just personally confimed that the 929 and 954 do in fact use different covers.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Perhaps they sold you one for the 954? On the outside they look identical, but inside they are different, as you've discovered. If you can't get an OEM, why not check into an aftermarket one? BilletTech makes one for a reasonable price, and it's way much sturdier than the stock one, which can crack in a mere tipover...

·
Registered
511 Posts
factory pro also makes a nice one for the 929, comes with a built on cover slider too..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hit a patch of loose gravel today and layed my baby down. I have minor damage to the bike (i.e. scraped/cracked alternator cover and toasted frame sliders. Just installed flush mount turn signals or I would be replacing them too), but I have just a quick question for the masses. When you do ( hopefully none of you never do) crack this alternator cover, is oil supposed to leak out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I removed the stator cover and drained what was left inside into a bucket and took a look inside. There doesnt appear to be any damage to the block at all. It hurts to see her on the stand for the first time (besides maintenance) after 7 years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I cracked my alternator cover, riding through some godforsake fog, and somehow ending up on a thick patch of dirt road...
The alternator cover is cracked, everything on the inside looks to be fine, I've drained all the oil, and was going to just replace the cover but found that a piece from where the bolts from the cover would go in... what is the name of that piece. it seems to be split into two so I may only have to replace the bottom one... does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I cracked my alternator cover, riding through some godforsake fog, and somehow ending up on a thick patch of dirt road...
The alternator cover is cracked, everything on the inside looks to be fine, I've drained all the oil, and was going to just replace the cover but found that a piece from where the bolts from the cover would go in... what is the name of that piece. it seems to be split into two so I may only have to replace the bottom one... does anyone know?
It sounds like you're talking about the crankcase?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ya sounds like the lower crankcase.... A good welder can weld it back in place...
You can maguiver it with THE RIGHT STUFF gasket goo...or JB weld... but it won't last too long.....really ya got to weld it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts