Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i filled up my 07 cbr1000rr for the first time today.

it might be different in USA but in australia we mostly use unleaded 98.
i have heard from others, that petrol drops are bad for the paint on the tank.
wondering is there any way so you wont get petrol drops on your tank?!!!

oh and btw, tell us if you take your helmet and gloves off everytime you fill up? (too much effort) lol

Taza

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
So i filled up my 07 cbr1000rr for the first time today.

it might be different in USA but in australia we mostly use unleaded 98.
i have heard from others, that petrol drops are bad for the paint on the tank.
wondering is there any way so you wont get petrol drops on your tank?!!!

oh and btw, tell us if you take your helmet and gloves off everytime you fill up? (too much effort) lol

Taza

Stick with 98RON.
I think longterm paint can cause staining but short term I've never seen any problem. It's very unusual to spill any though. You develop a flick as you approach the tank so the fuel hose is moving faster than gravity allows any fuel residue to run out.
Yes, fuel station attendants have enough to worry about already so it's just polite to remove your lid so they aren't worrying if you're likely to do a runner.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I pay with the card at the pump, never take off helmet unless I've got to go inside to get smokes, even then sometimes I don't take off the lid. (I live in a small town)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Never had a problem. The small amount of fuel that may hit the tank usually evaporates to quickly to leave any marks. If it looks bad just wipe it with some paper towel, most servo's have rolls near the pumps.
In Sydney most places won't switch the pump on until you take off your helmet. Stops runners.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
In Sydney most places won't switch the pump on until you take off your helmet. Stops runners.

Same over here. Doesn't stop them, but it hopefully makes it easier to prosecute them from the video tape when they're caught.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Most stations here has paper towels available. You could get a towel, fold it up, and put it under the nozzle until you get over the filler hole. this would catch any would be drips. It really depends whether I'm with a group or not. If I'm with a group, I will remove my helmet since it will be a 10 minutes or so while everyone is fueling.
That unleaded 98 in Oz? is that 98 octane? that is awesome. We must be the home of crap gas here in the states. we have 87,89,and 93 available normally.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Most stations here has paper towels available. You could get a towel, fold it up, and put it under the nozzle until you get over the filler hole. this would catch any would be drips. It really depends whether I'm with a group or not. If I'm with a group, I will remove my helmet since it will be a 10 minutes or so while everyone is fueling.
That unleaded 98 in Oz? is that 98 octane? that is awesome. We must be the home of crap gas here in the states. we have 87,89,and 93 available normally.

They grade their gas on a diffrent scale across the pond, its about the same as our 93, although thats not a normal around here unless your at a sunoco mostly everyone else has 91 even sunoco does too, the 91 is preimum and 93 is "ultra"

Most places over here wont let you fill up with your helmet off, you have to pay first at which point they dont care what you do after that. The stations close by I will go in with my helmet on if theres no customers (dont want to start other people doing it) in the store because they know me by my vehicles but if he has customers or Im at a unusually station I take it off just to ease everyones mind a bit

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Its a bit like taking a leak, I give it a few shakes to get the last drips out of the end and them tap it on the rim a couple of times. hehe

Then when you lift it out tilt it up as you withdraw to aviod any drips.
:rotfl::rotfl:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
At local pumps no need to take helmet off, but is everywhere else.
In the US usually you don't have to remove your helmet if you pay at the pump but if you enter the store you usually see a sign on the door telling you that you have to remove it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here, i've never saw any sign asking to take off your helmet before going in a gas station, but hey, it's just comon sense.... Would you go in a bank without taking of your scarf covering your face??

As for the pump payment.. I've never took my helmet off there!

·
Registered
283 Posts
:D
I pay with the card at the pump, never take off helmet unless I've got to go inside to get smokes, even then sometimes I don't take off the lid. (I live in a small town)
Same here excpet when i walk in w my helmet they freak the hell out like im trying to rob there ass. Then refuse service until i take it off. stupid people:D

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

As with distance, speed, weight, temperature and other things, the US likes to use a different system to everybody else.
We use RON octane measurement, you use MON octane measurement.
As stated, our 98RON is our top-tier pump fuel so I guess it equates to your 93MON.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I always wear my helmet into the gas stations ahahahaha. I dont hear about gas stations being held up to often around these parts. Never have I got funny looks either. My wallet comes out of my pocket.. Why would I Get funny looks with that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts