Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, first post for me and it was this thread that made me register on FBO.....sweet explanation and detailed picks....love it! Although I don't appear to have the gear issues you had I will be using this thread this winter when I tear down the bike for a major overhaul, 33k miles and a noisy engine is pleading to be loved.....only the had the bike a few weeks and will keep this one....:eyebrows: anyway I diverse....apologies, homer moment! Now I have seen this I will also check the gearing and clutch assembly etc and feel happy to do so now so thanks again and I will make sure I post my progress as I too like to share my handy work in the event of someone getting something from it......
Regards,

Mac

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bump. What a great write up! I will definitely be using this as a guide. I have to replace the crankcase from a low side crash. Yes, I found a spare one, lets only hope they mate up together with no problems. Otherwise...

·
Registered
138 Posts
nice write up. i had that problem too but i just took it to the bike shop and 2 days and 340$ and i was back on the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cheapest place I found to get parts was Cheapcycleparts.com they were about 10% lower than anyone else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
To Jupiter, $340 to fix 2nd gear is money WELL spent. All the people (dealers) who work on bikes around here just mess it up more than fix anything, so I figured I dont have to pay anyone to screw up my bike, I can do that myself for alot less! But this was a fun project.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Nice write up, Good for if a gear is worn and needs to be replaced... You're right about the 929s having second gear miss shifts, but those without trashed transmissions can save yourself a lot of time, money, and effort by putting in a Shift Kit with new arm, spring, and star... Completely solves the problem :thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is this thread still active?
Great write-up, perfect for preparation for my own small digging ...

Thought about it a lot, and basically decided (after looking at your pictures) that the main culprit should be the shift-forks, not the dogs or the gears.

My theory:
The wear on dogs and gears is caused by the incorrect position of the forks, this caused by wear, inproper operation and/or the shift drum stopper.
I doubt this kind of wear on dogs and gars alone will cause the 2nd gear getting into neutral.
But a bent or worn gear fork will.
I agree that replacing all parts mentioned is the right way to go on a 'keeper' bike, but I think replacing the fork(s) might do the trick.
Am I right in this, pls. shoot....

Last question: which fork is for the 2nd gear, the L, centre or R?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys, i am new to this forum, and i also have been working on a 2001 cbr 929 erion that has a second gear problem. I just got this bike from a guy in cda idaho and when i picked the bike up 3 weeks ago the battery was dear so i could not test ride the bike and with me being excited due to this bike being so bad azz lol i took the bike anyway. got her home and realized the stator cover was cracked pretty much in half howebver he did tell me about that. anyway the bike pops out of seconf d gear into neautral so i drained the oil and took the clutch out and pulled the shift drum and the forks. the drum has a wear spot where the forks nub looks to have been hitting hard and wore down the corner. and ll 3 shift forks have wear on them. now i have been reading on the forum for about a week straight and came up with replacing the shift drum and forks to solve this problem, anyone have any other possibilities? as far as i can tell the gears have no worn edges. Was hoping to fix the bike without splitting the case in half. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just finished rebuilding my son's 954 trans earlier this month. To the guys that think a drum/fork replacement is the answer to your trnsmission woes I'll reply, "wishful thinking". Nobody wants to go into these trans and I'll even admit it's a bunch of work. However, you will absolutely know what you have when you're done.

My son's trans just randomly started dropping out of 4th gear. I didn't even believe him at first. I rode it three times before it did it to me. I immediately told him to stop riding it. Remember, your engine and trans are one. If your trans is going south, the trans debris is in your engine!

After removing the engine and removing the trans I was in shock! It only had a 4th gear problem? Ha! There was far more damage than I had suspected. The dogs on most all the gears were beat. Shift drum nicked up, one shift fork shot. I was surprised how well the trans had been working considering the damage.

Due to the numerous parts needed to properly repair the trans, I took a chance on Ebay for a complete trans. I was able to get a used one fairly cheap. Unfortunately, it had issues too but it gave me enough parts to make a good trans between it and my son's. I did have to buy one new gear from Honda. Also, as another member mentioned, the 954 has torque to yield bolts on the mains that must be replaced. They are single use and cannot be reused. Not sure if the 929 uses them or not.

The bike is now performing flawlessly! Rock solid! After having to remove so much to do this job, everything got serviced, inspected and replaced/repaired as necessary. I know my son will now have a trouble free bike to ride. This is a GOOD thing! Ha!

Like I said, don't fool yourself. If your trans is giving you issues, a bandaid isn't going to fix it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey man thanks for the heads up, lol. i too was planning on buying a tranny off of ebay but that may not be a good idea as it seems. I will just try and find an affordable new one lol right like that exists anyway i really appreciate your reply and will just replace everything. If you know any place that may have a good price for a transmission that would be great thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
hey man thanks for the heads up, lol. i too was planning on buying a tranny off of ebay but that may not be a good idea as it seems. I will just try and find an affordable new one lol right like that exists anyway i really appreciate your reply and will just replace everything. If you know any place that may have a good price for a transmission that would be great thanks

There is no need to replace everything. Just replace the worn or damaged parts.
Ron Ayres have pretty good pricing but there are plenty of others.
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>2001>CBR900RR>TRANSMISSION

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is no need to replace everything. Just replace the worn or damaged parts.
Exactly. Like I said, I was able to salvage the good from my son's trans, the good from the Ebay trans I bought and one new gear from Honda. Open it up, inspect, salvage the good, replace the bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, you have to remove the swing arm,just follow the instruction and the picture that was posted. Just make sure you take your time that way you don't make a mistake. Got done with mine, 4th gear is my problem, replace the gears, drum and forks.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts