Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the problem with the 5th gear. It jumps back to 4th when I engage it. Is the same problem? I mean, worn dogs? Should I replace the 5th gear or what?

·
Registered
5 Posts
First class write up. I've just bought a Blade from a friend of mine. It does the 2nd gear into neutral trip under revs, I knew about the problem when I bought the bike so was under no illusions. Seeing things set out like this is a good confidence booster for the job ahead.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
MINE WON'T ENGAGED TO FOURTH GEAR, MY FORK SELECTOR FOR THE FOURTH GEAR IS WORN OUT AND THE DRUM SELECTOR ON THE 4TH GEAR IS ALSO WORN OUT. REPLACED THE GEARS, FORKS AND DRUM SELECTOR. MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN EVERYTHING BEFORE PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER, YOU DON'T WANT ANY METAL PARTICLES CIRCLING INSIDE THE ENGINE.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey I'm going to tear into my 954 this winter, and I was wondering if you have to remove the cylinder head and all that to split the case? I wouldn't think you'd need to, but looking through my Honda service manual it's kind of unclear, it says the following parts must be removed before separating the crankcase: Alternator/flywheel, clutch/gearshift linkage, cylinder head, engine, oil pump. Please let me know, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey I'm going to tear into my 954 this winter, and I was wondering if you have to remove the cylinder head and all that to split the case? I wouldn't think you'd need to, but looking through my Honda service manual it's kind of unclear, it says the following parts must be removed before separating the crankcase: Alternator/flywheel, clutch/gearshift linkage, cylinder head, engine, oil pump. Please let me know, thanks!

No, you don't need to remove the head.
Have a look at the pics at the start of the thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, you don't have to remove the head if you gonna work on your tranny, not unless your tearing the whole engine apart for total rebuilt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many have already said it over the years about this post, but I will again state how awesome this post is. I bought a 2000 929 a few weeks back and I need to do this to fix my second gear. This is also my first post here at FireBlades.

My main question is "Do you have to remove the engine to replace the second gear shift fork?" Page 289 of the Honda Repair manual says "This section covers service of the clutch, gearshift linkage, shift drum and shift forks . All service can be done with the engine installed in the frame." However is see it stated over and over in the post to pull out the engine in order to do this. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Many have already said it over the years about this post, but I will again state how awesome this post is. I bought a 2000 929 a few weeks back and I need to do this to fix my second gear. This is also my first post here at FireBlades.

My main question is "Do you have to remove the engine to replace the second gear shift fork?" Page 289 of the Honda Repair manual says "This section covers service of the clutch, gearshift linkage, shift drum and shift forks . All service can be done with the engine installed in the frame." However is see it stated over and over in the post to pull out the engine in order to do this. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks in advance.
Yes shift forks and drum can be changed without removing the engine.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/how-articles/107702-954-shift-drum-fork-replacement.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's a good idea to look up through the oil pan once its off and take a look at the gear dogs as well. You'll quickly ruin the new shift fork and maybe the drum again if the gear caused the problem in the first place. Once the shift forks, shaft, and drum are out you should be able to move the gears around on the countershaft and main shaft to get a look at the dogs, Then you'll know if its a quick fix or if you're splitting the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a good idea to look up through the oil pan once its off and take a look at the gear dogs as well. You'll quickly ruin the new shift fork and maybe the drum again if the gear caused the problem in the first place. Once the shift forks, shaft, and drum are out you should be able to move the gears around on the countershaft and main shaft to get a look at the dogs, Then you'll know if its a quick fix or if you're splitting the case.
Thanks, I now see what I was missing. Shift Drum/Shift Forks can be done without removing the engine/splitting the case. Anything more then I'll have to go deep. Let's hope its just the shift folk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for this nice write-up. I'am realy considering to do it myself. I have a technical background, handy enough, but it looks like a challange. Just need a second pair of handy hands and i go for it.

How long did it take you for the whole job? approx?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Can anybody say how long a revision like this would take?
First time I do a revision of a gearbox
Depending on fast your work the time to split the cases and remove the transmission only takes 1-2 hours. The install takes a bit longer. It takes a few hours to remove/install the engine since the bike has to be completely torn apart. From start to finish can a take a few days if doing it all by yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Backdoc. I started disambling the bike 2 days ago, a few hours each day, labeling everything well.

I got to the clutchplates out and the clutch center (correct English name?) looked like this..
See the 5 pins where you put your plates around, all deep marks on the inner side only...

Seen it on other forums with same topic but no one reacts on it. How is this kind of damage possible, should i replace the clutch center? Doens't look healthy to me..

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,642 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Backdoc. I started disambling the bike 2 days ago, a few hours each day, labeling everything well.

I got to the clutchplates out and the clutch center (correct English name?) looked like this..
See the 5 pins where you put your plates around, all deep marks on the inner side only...

Seen it on other forums with same topic but no one reacts on it. How is this kind of damage possible, should i replace the clutch center? Doens't look healthy to me..
I responded with an answer in the other thread where you asked the same question.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Depending on who you talk to, if you can feel grooves that you can catch your fingernail on in the clutch outer or center where the disc and plate teeth contact you should replace them. Grooves will prevent the plates and discs from sliding properly which will affect operation. I ran into the same situation as you when i rebuilt my 954, and my clutch was not as bad as yours and i replaced the inner, outer, and the fiber plates. Its really your call i probably could have used my outer over again, but if you do the whole thing while youre in there then you wont be back there again anytime soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
New clutch center arrived today! Want to do it the propper way, so new one.

Got a question. In the Haynes manual they say to remove these parts also, but it seem you didn't to this, and it don't seem to be nescessary to me either. Can anyone comfirm/deny this please?

Cam chain/blades/tentioner: Only the bolt in orange piece wil do?
Water pump?
Gear selecter axle?

Thanks!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts