Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been discussed a time or twenty in other places, but how do you clean your bike?  How many individual products do you use for specific cleaning chores, or do you never really wash your machine?  (Conq, I'm interested in hearing from you regarding your inclination not to wash with water.)

FWIW, my practices...

Honda Spray Cleaner/Wax for normal, day-in, day-out cleaning.

Bucket, hose, mild auto detergent and wash-mitt for once a month cleaning extravaganzas or after being caught in the rain. (I follow up with my leaf blower to strip the water off and the Honda spray for the final buff.)

Simple Green (sufficiently dilluted) for getting the gunk off kickstands, wheels and sprockets.

Kerosene for chain cleaning after the water/soap washings.

Man I get excited about a clean bike!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I used the soap and water routine on my F3.  Never had any problems w/it.  Since I've had my 929, I've only used Honda Spray Polish.  I find it works as well as soap and water.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Water and mild auto detergent. I always use a new or only used a few times sponge or wash mitt (within reason) to avoid any scratches. WD and a brush for the chain and a clear coat friendly wheel cleaner. Depending on riding frequency and where I usually hit her twice a week min during full up riding season. I hit it with wax (usually mothers about once every week or two depending on how she looks. We have a lot of bugs out this way so it gets pretty nasty in a single ride. Been doing it for 8K now, no problems. Still looks brandy new

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Wash with Honda Brite (S-100) and Meguires car wash soap. Wax with Eagle One Wet liquid wax. I use Honda spray polish when the bike isn't to dirty. I have been using WD40 to clean my chain for years with no ill effects...Side note, used WD40 and no other lube on my '95 CBR900RR and had 23,000 miles on the original chain when the bike was traded. Heck I sometimes use WD40 to clean my wheels and swingarm.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
simple green works well to remove bugs. It also strips wax and road tar. Good engine cleaner too. Honda Spray is a generaly great cleaner, but I am not one of those 'soap and water will never touch my bike people'. Every once in a while, I will hose that bad boy down, suds it up and wipe it dry. But I always clean it on rear and front PITBULL stands.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There is no way that just the Honda spay can deal would cut it for me. I encounter way to many bugs. I do use the Plexus plastic polish to do some touch up work for a quick simple shine. But generally I like to get out the ol' bucket of soap and water. Then about every other month I'll give a full wax job. As for the rims and or chain I typically use WD40 and a little simple green.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dosen't the Honda spray cost add up quickly? To me soap and water seem a lot more cost effective. But I do agree the Honda Spray will give a nice shine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Soap (Mothers) and water every couple of weeks or when ever it gets overly dirty, say after getting caught in the rain. In between I use Dry Wash. I can't say enough about this product. I have used it for many years, on both cars and bikes.
WD-40 and/or kerosine to clean chain and gease. Chain wax every 1000km.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ibAdam : Dosen't the Honda spray cost add up quickly? To me soap and water seem a lot more cost effective. But I do agree the Honda Spray will give a nice shine.
I normally get about 30 cleaning treatments for the whole bike per can. For me that's about an average of a 65-70 mile bike trip and then a cleaning afterwards for a total of 2,000 miles added onto my odometer for every can.

For the heavy bug deposits, I like to spray it on and just let the spray soak, then wipe

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I do the Honda polish thing for minor spiff ups....but hose and water for when they really get skanky....

Bugs...and Indiana has tons of them....
The best way I have found is the 'barbershop' treatment.
Soak a towel in the hottest water you can stand, and drape it over the screen and fairing, by the time the towel cools off, the bugs are soft and easily wiped away....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Soap and water, although I just got some of that S100 stuff and it seems to work well if it isn't real dirty to start with. I use WD-40 on my chain and engine degreaser on my swingarm and rims.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A couple of times a year I do a 4-step process with Meguiar's Wash, Cleaner, Polish, and Wax.

It takes a couple hours, but the final result is awesome.  I use Meguiar's Quick Detailer to maintain after each ride, and wash again with Meguiar's wash if it's too dirty for the Quick Detailer.

I like to use Lemon Pledge on the windscreen, and Meguiar's Natural Shine on the seat and all black plastic and rubber.

http://www.meguiars.com/

1 - 20 of 41 Posts