Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question about brakes. I put it in the racing section because I dont think that most trackday folks will NOT have this issue, here it is:

Under extremely hard braking, like T14 at T-Hill, it feels like the brakes are grabbing/slipping

They still have awesome stopping power, just a slightly less than confidence inspiring 'feel'

I am using the stock calipers with HRC pads, the problem seems to of cropped up after I changed over to the HRC pads, I didnt bead blast/sand the rotors as i never had to with the regular honda pads.

am thinking its one of two things
1) there is residual crap on the rotors--need to be bead blasted--they dont feel warpped as the pulsing isnt translated thru the lever.
2) My steering stem bearings are shot

Any ideas would be appreciated--Thanks

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Ask Dan Kyle. He might know since he sells a fair amount of them. I know he told me that blasting the rotors was not necessarily. The pads might be glazed though...

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Your steering stem bearings are shot and you're racing this thing?

I'm not certain if this is the cause of the particular symptom you describe, but general vagueness up front is a definite problem with worn stem bearings, as well as difficulty in tracking straight under braking.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
abtech : Your steering stem bearings are shot and you're racing this thing?

I'm not certain if this is the cause of the particular symptom you describe, but general vagueness up front is a definite problem with worn stem bearings, as well as difficulty in tracking straight under braking.
Abtech--I am not convinced that the steering stem bearings are shot--there is no vagueness side to side---just fore and aft---under reaaaally hard braking--
I have never replaced the steering stem bearing and the bike has 20K mi on it 15K track thats wht I brought it up---it seems to be tracking OK--just seems to have a case of ABS goin on

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Ah...dude, you should replace those regardless of our discussion on the phone. That is a hell of a lot of miles. Have you ever greased them?

·
Registered
661 Posts
You should clean your rotors & calipiers after every pad change. Not always by bead blasting just some scrubbing. You want to remove the old pad residue.

I had some EBC pads, didn't seat them correctly and were somewhat glazed....I had a similar issue. grab, slip, grab, slip.

You got to try the carbone lorraine race (c43) pads. No breakin required and they are awesome. Very consistent!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts