Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just build my 954, recently bought it with only 5k on it and tore it down. Built a single sided swing arm and gp style exhaust custom paint ect... I just put a pc5 in it and brought it down to a local dyno guy to have him build a custom map for me and he said before he dynos it he wants me to do the air box flapper mod, exhaust flapper removal and he said to get HTC ram air ducts, he told me they will give you 7-9hp all the way through. So question is anyone know where I can find them? I've done a little research and the only thing I'm finding is a full front/mid fairing kit w the ram air in place of the headlights but can't seem to find the bolt on ducts the dyno guys Is talking about. Second question... How do I remove the exhaust flappers w out removing the entire system? Here's a before and after of my build so feel free to let me know what you think too :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
bike looks nice bro! you can open the air box n just remove the whole flapper, there is a cable that hooks into that you can remove and put something in the hole it leaves. follow that cable back to the servo motor, it controls both the air box flapper and the exhaust valve. you can remove the whole motor and buy a simple device you plug in instead of the servo motor so you dont throw an fI code. pretty cheap to buy n easy to find. itll save you the weight of the motor. just follow the second cable down to the exhaust flapper n remove it n pin the flapper open. some people leave it closed or partially closed n get different results on the dyno curves. guess it depends on what your looking for. im sure the difference is somewhat negligible. im not sure on the ram air ducts. ive seen some on a street fighter parts web site that came offa the side of the tank n were just open right there instead of going down to the side fairing. im not sure if they would work tho unless the fairings were removed being it was for street fighter style bikes. they looked tough tho. man the coolest thing about that power commander 5 is the autotune box. it has the sensor you put in n then it automatically picks the best map like a bunch of times every second so you always have the best map selected at all times no matter what the conditions are or or whatever.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I just build my 954, recently bought it with only 5k on it and tore it down. Built a single sided swing arm and gp style exhaust custom paint ect... I just put a pc5 in it and brought it down to a local dyno guy to have him build a custom map for me and he said before he dynos it he wants me to do the air box flapper mod, exhaust flapper removal and he said to get HTC ram air ducts, he told me they will give you 7-9hp all the way through. So question is anyone know where I can find them? I've done a little research and the only thing I'm finding is a full front/mid fairing kit w the ram air in place of the headlights but can't seem to find the bolt on ducts the dyno guys Is talking about. Second question... How do I remove the exhaust flappers w out removing the entire system? Here's a before and after of my build so feel free to let me know what you think too :)

Find a better tuner.
Yes, remove the flapper from the airbox, it does nothing.
The exhaust system does not have a flapper, it uses a rotary valve. Disconnect the cables from the HTEV and turn it to one of its three positions. Try all three to determine which you prefer.
Neither of these modifications will give you any more power.
You will also want to disable the PAIR system for dyno tuning so you might as well remove it entirely.
No idea what he means by "ram air ducts", but 7-9hp throughout is ludicrous in my opinion. Where do these go on the bike?
Since you spent the money on the PCV why not just get the Auto Tune add-on and forget the dyno?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was actually unaware of the auto tune option until I bought the programmer and began reading the directions. Is the auto tune option just as good as a dyno and custom built map? I would much rather do that but don't know much about it as I'm looking at $475 for him to build a custom map and dyno it and he needs the bike for a week. I know he is very reputable and everyone in upstate ny uses him. I brought the bike to him because I have a custom built exhaust and wanted to get his opinion as far as what I should do before I bri g it to him and he said get the hrc air intake ducts. They replace the factory air intakes and shrouds but like I said I'm not finding them or anything about them but he said he put them on a friend of his 03 954 and it gave him 7-9 hp right through. I don't know a lot about the stuff so tend to believe what he told me because of his reputation

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,052 Posts
Found these on the web. Not HRC, supposedly from a company called hard line racing, however the links have been abandoned. Probably not in business anymore.

image.jpg

There were a ton of photos on the web of 954's that have it done some way or another. To find anything with HRC on it will probably be slim to none. Can't say I've ever heard of HRC making such a thing, but who knows. Probably be cheaper for you to rig something up using tubing and stuff from Home Depot. :idunno:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
if it were me id spend the money on the auto tune box. like i said it is constantly adjusting the map to the engines needs at that instant. ive not used it but i would imagine the dynamic nature of that auto tune would hafta be better than something static.

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
if it were me id spend the money on the auto tune box. like i said it is constantly adjusting the map to the engines needs at that instant. ive not used it but i would imagine the dynamic nature of that auto tune would hafta be better than something static.
Ive seen you on the LVSBK site.. I'm sure we'll be seeing each other out on the I-Loop sooner or later :eyebrows:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
jeeze-o-pete!! a mere 800$, i assume they are cast in 24ct gold and cook breakfast in the morning....

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
pretty cool. i think i could make a pair that would fit the stock fairings outta carbon fiber for a reasonable cost. i still find it hard to believe the claimed hp increase tho.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ouch.. $800 :-( if their even available. Thanks for the link though. Got a hard time paying that kinda money for a street bike. Could see if I track it but I dont.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
you know i guess if it actually made the hp gains it says itd be a pretty high on the list of hp gained per dollar spent but like i said id hafta see the dyno charts in person as they were being printed to buy the claimed increase.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone used the auto tune box for the pc5? I was just reading up on it and it says it will change preset maps as needed for best performance but I know I need a custom map because of my custom exhaust along with the htev delete , air box, pair valve ect... Does the auto tune adjust maps as needed or just change preset maps to a " closest match"? The auto tune is $100 less than the dyno and would be nice to have the option to change things without needing another $450 dyno

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Has anyone used the auto tune box for the pc5? I was just reading up on it and it says it will change preset maps as needed for best performance but I know I need a custom map because of my custom exhaust along with the htev delete , air box, pair valve ect... Does the auto tune adjust maps as needed or just change preset maps to a " closest match"? The auto tune is $100 less than the dyno and would be nice to have the option to change things without needing another $450 dyno

You don't _need_ a custom map, just download and try a bunch of maps. I'm sure you'll find something that works just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts