Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
tglass,
don't know if this will help, but here are some pics from my 954 of the whole exhaust removed. I put a full hindle on. the HTEV valve is the big metal thing after the headers with the cables coming off of it. the servo motor, on a 954 is on the left side, above the idle adjustment. that is what the other picture is of. you can see were the cables from the HTEV valve connect to the servo (at the top.) I would assume that the 929 is almost the same. As for the HTEV valve and the purpose, there have been many post on it. You'll find pro's and con's for it. I believe its up to you if you want it on the bike or if it does good/bad. hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that does help a little, Thanks! I talked to the guy I bought the bike from and he said the only thing that he took off were the cables that attatch to the HTEV valve. I don't think they are included in the setup that I bought so I guess I will need to buy new cables.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, the servo for the HTEV also runs the air intake valve in the air box on the 929. It is a little servo motor located on the kickstand side of the bike where the middle cowl ends. Look up under the frame and you will see it assuming it is still there. It will have this round pulley on it with braided steel wires on it. Two wires go the the HTEV and one to the air box flapper. The Htev has 3 positions. Honda calls it the 90 degree position where cylinders 1 and 4 dump into the stream of 2 and 3 respectively below 3k rpm. Above 3k rpm it then goes to 180 where each cylinder goes out its own hole with no mixing. Above 8k it goes to 360 where 1 and 2 cross flow and 3 and 4 cross flow. The flapper vavle is closed at low RPM to maintain a constant velocity carb type feeling and open at high.

I hope that helps,

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went back to the stock exhaust with a Jardine slip-on because of the bottom end lag in the throttle 0-3000 RPM. I put a PCIII on but it still didn't eliminate the low end bog. After talking to some people it was decided that the bike would prob. run better (more torque) on the low end with a slip-on as compared to the full system. The system was an older muzzy one, and we all know muzzy isn't really the best setup. Full systems are really designed to help out on the top end, which I rarely get into that style of riding. I want a smoother throttle response with more low end torque. Plus there is a map for the Jardine slip-on while nothing for the full muzzy system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Above 8k it goes to 360 where 1 and 2 cross flow and 3 and 4 cross flow.

Digging up an old thread...

That sounds like a good thing! when 1 is on its exhaust stroke 2 is on its intake stroke, so it's timing the exhaust pulses to "miss" eachother when they combine in the rest of the exhaust system..?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 954 and my htev servo stripped a bunch of gears in it so i put a new one on and the next day it did the same thing can i just take the servo off and position the valve to by pass it if so where do i position the valve

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
That's because you didn't fix whatever was jamming it first.
Yes you can.
Just set it to all three positions and see which suits you better.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
As far as I'm aware there is no known way of removing the error code without rectifying the problem causing it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I went back to the stock exhaust with a Jardine slip-on because of the bottom end lag in the throttle 0-3000 RPM. I put a PCIII on but it still didn't eliminate the low end bog. After talking to some people it was decided that the bike would prob. run better (more torque) on the low end with a slip-on as compared to the full system. The system was an older muzzy one, and we all know muzzy isn't really the best setup. Full systems are really designed to help out on the top end, which I rarely get into that style of riding. I want a smoother throttle response with more low end torque. Plus there is a map for the Jardine slip-on while nothing for the full muzzy system.

get a better tuner, while muzzy may not be the best setup for a honda they make good power. my kwak zx7r laid down 126whp with a muzzy full system and k + n filter. i even "heard" somewhere that muzzy and hindle were the same pipe just with a different name. could be a rumor tho as that was years ago bout 8 or more...

·
Registered
41 Posts
after i took the servo off how do i make that error light go out and the little FI symbol is on too
Did you ever find a way to get rid of the error light without reinstalling the servo motor?

Im actually installing a Scorpion slip on on my 07 Blade which seems to necessitate removal of the HTEV, and I have been extensively researching this. There are many threads on HTEV but none that address that particular issue. My concern was that Id get the EFI error.

·
Registered
896 Posts
on my 929 i left the servo intact but removed the htev and flapper valve hardware and cables to the servo. so the ecu thinks the servo is still working as usual. id imagine this is what you would have to do. when i removed the cables i made sure i didnt move the servo motor and no FI light to speak of...

this was with a full system and bmc race filter on my 929 im not certain on how the 07 is laid out as ive never seen one nekkid

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm posting in case there is someone else in the future who wants this info:

I did exactly what Shakey said, I removed the original pipe, removed the HTEV, then removed the cables from the servo motor. I used a marker pen to make sure I returned the servo back to its zero position, slapped the new pipe on which took ages, then took it for a short test blast.

WOW. Power gains EVERYWHERE. Definitely NO loss of midrange or anything. Sounds wicked.

I read many, many articles on this, and can verify that from my research the valve is there purely for emissions and noise compliance. I noticed when cold there was more smoke, but just at the start up. There are diagrams on line which show that too.

My advice for anyone else doing it is get rid of the thing. When you look in the pipe, you can see how restricted the exhaust flow is. Its really a tiny rectangle area the gases pass through in the HTEV. I was worried about this supposed loss of back pressure, but I shouldnt have been. Its over rated! :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I did exactly what Shakey said, I removed the original pipe, removed the HTEV, then removed the cables from the servo motor. I used a marker pen to make sure I returned the servo back to its zero position, slapped the new pipe on which took ages, then took it for a short test blast.

WOW. Power gains EVERYWHERE. Definitely NO loss of midrange or anything. Sounds wicked.

I read many, many articles on this, and can verify that from my research the valve is there purely for emissions and noise compliance. I noticed when cold there was more smoke, but just at the start up. There are diagrams on line which show that too.

My advice for anyone else doing it is get rid of the thing. When you look in the pipe, you can see how restricted the exhaust flow is. Its really a tiny rectangle area the gases pass through in the HTEV. I was worried about this supposed loss of back pressure, but I shouldnt have been. Its over rated! :)
Are you saying you fitted an HTEV eliminator or a full exhaust system?
The rectangular ports are only aligned at _under_ 3000rpm so really aren't relevant once you're moving. Clearly it will have _zero_ effect on noise since noise is measured at much higher revs (half of peak hp rpm I think?) or emissions since it's after the fuel has been burned.
If you replaced the entire system I don't think you can compare the effects of the HTEV and the stock system.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
the fuel mapping has more effect on the emmissions not the HTEV - look at power curve on any stock bike. not sure where noise is tested

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fair enough.

Well in that case I'm not sure why then. Its only a slip on, but there is a noticeable increase in seat-of-your-pants-dyno power.

I did play around with the valve once removed, and couldnt see the two semi-circle type things move, but hey I'm no expert :idunno:

End result is it sounds great, I got more poke from it and the grin factor got better, so it was all good. And if there is someone else out there in a similar situation with similar equipment then I would encourage them to do what I did :smilierr:

OH, and I dont get the warning light bizzo either. Sweet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts