Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
We have had a ton of rain dumped on us already, and the storm won't get here until Thursday night. The creek outside our office building (here at work) is about six FEET over normal height. It's unnerving to watch entire trees floating down the usually-serene creek.

I'm going to start putting away some lawn furniture, our grill, etc...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah, we've been getting blasted with rain for a while now. We have problems with flooding in my area, but thankfully, I'm in the mountains where no water can get to me. If the river gets to me, it's time to build an ark!

You poor people in the Carolinas have been getting killed with these things the last couple of years. I hope she turns away, and misses hitting the US entirely.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Keep an eye on these things.

They should be able to report how nasty the system is as it approaches.

Looks pretty calm out there, although the wave height is increasing (~10 ft right now).

Quote Station 41002 - S HATTERAS - 250 NM East of Charleston, SC

Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 40 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 7.8 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 9.7 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 10.5 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 17 sec
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.98 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.00 in ( Steady )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 81.0 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 82.9 °F
Dew Point (DEWP): 72.3 °F
Heat Index (HEAT): 85.5 °F

This one off Florida might have some useful info too:
Quote Station 41010 - CANAVERAL EAST 120NM East of Cape Canaveralas of (2:00 pm EDT)
Wind Direction (WDIR): N ( 10 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 9.7 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 13.6 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 11.5 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 17 sec
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.96 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): -0.04 in ( Falling )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 82.0 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 84.6 °F
Dew Point (DEWP): 72.9 °F
Heat Index (HEAT): 87.4 °F

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good links, Holeshot

I'll keep an eye on those over the next few days.  Of course, I'll be missing all the fun since I'm going out of town this wednesday.

Hope the flooding won't be as bad as when Floyd came through a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Getting a little rougher out there:
Quote S HATTERAS - 250 NM East of Charleston, SC Conditions at 41002 as of (4:00 pm EDT)
Wind Direction (WDIR): NNE ( 20 deg true )
Wave Height (WVHT): 10.8 ft

Quote CANAVERAL EAST 120NM East of Cape Canaveral Conditions at 41010 as of
(4:00 pm EDT)

Wind Direction (WDIR): NNE ( 20 deg true )
Wave Height (WVHT): 13.8 ft

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Still building..  swells are larger and more frequent and winds are building.  And that thing is still a couple of days away.. right?

Quote CANAVERAL EAST 120NM East of Cape Canaveral Conditions at 41010 as of (8:00 pm EDT on 09/15/2003)

Wind Direction (WDIR): NNE ( 30 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 11.7 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 15.5 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 11.8 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 14 sec

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I heard that it's down to Cat 3 now! That's great!

Sorry about the bouy updates.. the servers are not responding now!! OH MAN.. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITHOUT MY BOUY DATA!?!?!??!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Here you go Holeshot...I wouldnt want to deprive you. Check out the waves!! AWESOME!!!

Conditions at 41002 as of
(12:00 pm EDT)
1600 GMT on 09/16/2003: Wind Direction (WDIR): ENE ( 60 deg true )

Wind Speed (WSPD): 15.5 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 19.4 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 21.0 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 14 sec
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.94 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.02 in ( Rising )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 82.0 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 82.6 °F
Dew Point (DEWP): 75.2 °F
Heat Index (HEAT): 88.9 °F

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 40 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 17.5 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 23.3 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 22.0 ft

I'll have to check in again around 8:00pm tonight and see what it's showing. Last I heard it was down to 105 MPH sustained winds... Good News (if you can call anything about a Hurricane good)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
From The Weather Channel Tropical Update. Note the part about the bouy:

Isabel approaches eastern North Carolina
9/18/2003 9:41 A.M.
Betsy Abrams, Sr. Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

Isabel remains a category two hurricane. Wind and rain are picking up substantially as Isabel makes its final approach. Flash flood watches are posted from North Carolina to Pennsylvania. Storm surge will be a major problem as well, considering high tide will be around the time of landfall with water roughly two feet higher than it would be at low tide. A storm surge on the order of 8-12 feet is possible, and rainfall near 9-12 inches near landfall. A surge of 4-8 feet will likely extend up the East Coast a long way making this a big coastal flooding erosion event. Isabel should weaken quickly once inland and accelerate northwestward and then northward resulting in rainfall farther north of 5 inches or less. Waves will peak at 25 feet to possible 30 feet on the southeast coast of NC, with waves as high as 15-20 feet affecting VA, NJ, NY coasts the next 18-24 hours. PEOPLE SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM WATER! Winds at the buoy well east of Charleston, SC reached near hurricane force before midnight, while wave heights ranged near 30 feet. That buoy quit reporting soon after that.So far, Cape Hatteras has had 2.14 inches of rain through 8 a.m. EDT and a gust to 53 mph, with heavier rain and higher winds on the doorstep. Gusts have been as high as 69 mph at Elizabeth City.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts