Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
As for Hummers, Spinella explains, the life of these cars averaged across various models is over 300,000 miles. By contrast, Prius' life – according to Toyota's own numbers – is 100,000 miles.
Uhhh, that doesn't smell right.

But the biggest reason why a Hummer's energy use is so low is that it shares many components with other vehicles and therefore its design and development energy costs are spread across many cars.
But I get the 'economies of scale' argument. I don't think it offsets the first quote however.

HD

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Or you could just put a crappy set of tires on a regular Civic.... :evilaugh:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Hybrids are still relatively new and ahead of their time. Their is no argument to buy them for fuel economy; Toyota have even admitted as much. But hippies and poseur hollywood-types can drive them knowing that their emissions are a fraction of conventional cars. If you want to save money, buy a $12000 Scion or Fit and overinflate the tires.

The technology will be mainstream in a couple decades. :twocents: Regenerative braking is a no-brainer... why not try to recapture all that wasted energy?

FWIW, I drove a new Prius for a couple hours the other week. Pretty fun machine, kinda like playing a video game.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
In London, the tax on driving during the working day ("Congestion Tax") is currently £8, say $14.40 per day. Bikes are exempt and so are electric cars, including hybrids. So lots of commuters are buying Prius, and some even the little two-seater pure electric cars. The lawyers' area near me has a dozen at least. Another example of taxation modifying consumer behaviour.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Unless you privatise all road construction (not really possible and only arguably economically sensible) you cannot really market price road access. If you did, you might well find high prices for city centres, since the land value is high to establish high capital costs, and the demand for usage is high.

The current UK government has plans to move to road pricing, but that wouldn't be based on market prices. What price Oxford Street per yard, or Deals Gap on a Sunday?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Do you feel that is the best approach, or should it be modified by market forces?
Market forces? :huh:

Oh, you mean the propaganda big business sells to people to get them to buy stuff they don't need, for higher prices, so they can make more profit. That same process that moved people away from fairly economical minivans to brute force style SUV's and trucks so they can "handle all of the weather" and "be prepared for anything" ... yet never get into anything that you couldn't get through with the lowliest econobox.

Business creates a market, then people go that way (like cattle) even if the ultimate result is not good. There has to be some positive pressures applied to get people to move in a positive way ... in this case, drive an efficient vehicle or take public transportation.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
So the government should subsidize Toyota (Pious) to change our behaviour... :huh:

(Even when it's benefits are marketing hype?)

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Unless you privatise all road construction (not really possible and only arguably economically sensible) you cannot really market price road access. If you did, you might well find high prices for city centres, since the land value is high to establish high capital costs, and the demand for usage is high....
Why does there have to be a price to drive on the road? Aren't base taxes high enough to cover that?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Why does their have to be a price to drive on the road? Aren't base taxes high enough to cover that?
Oh, politicians never have sufficient money to spend, do they?

But just think how much income they could raise by selling off all the public roads to private companies who could then charge for a monopoly service....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
...and this from a man with VFR750, RC51, Hawk-GT, KDX200, XR100, Simson 125SM :thumb: :evilaugh:
Oh, I have lots of things I don't need ... but that isn't the point ... we aren't talking about ME ... :rolleyes: :eyebrows:

As for subsidizing Toyota ... I believe other options were available (motorcycles, electric cars, etc.) that also make good inner city transportation, in addition to great public transportation in London.

Why should those using public transportation be the ones to also fund the infrastructure needed by those who choose to use their own vehicles that clog the streets and polute the city. Smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles would definitely help the conditions there.

We couldn't do it in Detroit because what little public transportation there is sucks and is unreliable...... But if there was a financial incentive (in this case a negative one for driving yourself) to using public transportation, then maybe there would be enough to adequately fund it and make it better. :idunno:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Market forces? :huh:

Oh, you mean the propaganda big business sells to people to get them to buy stuff they don't need, for higher prices, so they can make more profit. That same process that moved people away from fairly economical minivans to brute force style SUV's and trucks so they can "handle all of the weather" and "be prepared for anything" ... yet never get into anything that you couldn't get through with the lowliest econobox.

Business creates a market, then people go that way (like cattle) even if the ultimate result is not good. There has to be some positive pressures applied to get people to move in a positive way ... in this case, drive an efficient vehicle or take public transportation.
But at least it's still their choice.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts