Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I been on the forum for a few days and I can honestly say that I've learned so much about this bike. Well, I pick my bike up in a few hours and I can't wait!!! Hopefully the weather will hold up today . They are calling for rain all week and the weekend. Any good suggestions on the breakin preiod? Oh, has anyone installed a undertail from Texas Fairing? Is it hard? Well, I'll send Pics in a few days.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Congratulations to you. Regarding break-in, I'd call Dan Kyle and ask for his advice - 831-394-1330. There are lots of different opinions regarding break-in but I'd trust his.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Congrats on the 954 purchase.....bet you can't wait to pick it up!!

What color?

I don't think you will have too much trouble with the break-in period, just ride sensibly for the first 500 miles, gradually opening it up a little as you go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more thing does anyom know where I can get some really cool grips for this bike because I don't like to stock one's.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
ER : Congratulations to you.  Regarding break-in, I'd call Dan Kyle and ask for his advice - 831-394-1330.  There are lots of different opinions regarding break-in but I'd trust his.
Dan's break in...

Don't let it get hot. Below 220. If it hits 220, shut it down, pull over whatever you have to do.
Don't let it idle. Upon startup, use the fuel richener (choke) for a moment and ride off.
Don't rev up high
no high throttle settings, no WFO
Very smooth throttle transitions, again no WFO
Do not stay at same RPM for any lenth of time, constantly accel, decel, switch gears

Dont exceed:
5500 RPM first 100.
6000 RPM next hundred
6500 Rpm third hundred
7000 RPM fourth hundred
8000 RPM fifth hundred
at 600 miles change oil, totally unnecessary to do prior to this and a waste of coin.
After oil change, ride it however you want.

600 miles first oil change with the dino
2000 miles synthetic

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's tblack and titanium. I have so many plans for this bike. Everyting from tapeworks to zero graphics. God help me!!! I'm insane about this bike...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Here's the knowledge base article written by Booth for engine break in: Break-In

Congrats Luke and start saving all of your pennies...we'll help you spend every last one!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Make sure there are no stickers on the tires when you pull out of the dealership

...actually, take it easy for the first few miles to let the tires get scrubbed in. Most important thing to know about this bike: throttle control. Second: the brakes are very good, so don't grab a handful.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome! The best way to afford all the improvements you have in mind is to purchase some raffel tickets. Just think about what you could do with $5,000.00 of upgrades.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yo, I have my BIKE!!!! This thing is a dream. I took it easy and took all of the back roads home and it was a lot of fun putting around. Some guys even pulled me over to talk to me about hooking up and riding on the weekends. Thanks everyone for all of your input and for being such a big help and not Flaming me!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Congrats on a great purchase you won't regret! I've told anyone that will listen that my '03 954 is the best investment I've ever made. I love it more every time I ride. Too bad you didn't get the faster red/black version, but maybe next time.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, though it is a pity you went with then underpowered model, should of got the faster black and red model

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Congrats Luke.

Here's what I did for break-in: Took it easy for the first ~300 miles, after that I just started riding it. Stayed about 2-3k below redline 'til the first service, but rode it as I normally would have otherwise. It's called a break-in period for a reason...break it in.

Best of luck, keep it shiny side up

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Okay, Luke, you've learned about breaking her in, but now comes the most important lesson. RUN don't walk away from this site! The people here will convince you that you need to spend LOTS more money on what you thought was a perfect bike!!!! Trust me, I speak from experience. I predict that soon you will have a new pipe, a steering damper, a new seat, some frame sliders, and many more vital accessories you didn't even know you needed. My wallet is growing lighter by the day, but man it feels good!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Believe it or not I'm at the 300 mile mark and I have yet to take it past 4K RPM. I think that the first thing that I'm going to buy is a new seat! I'm a little sore. I thought that my wrist would hurt or my palms would be a little tender but they feel pretty good. Thanks everyone! This forum Rocks!! I'm planning to take it to Daytona on October so look for me!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts