Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new here and figured to join this site for some help. So last week I found a sweet project bike. 95 900rr... it looks like it was dropped and forgotten about. Just a gas tank. Here is my predicament. The VIN reads a 95 but engine is stamped 919cc and has the digital odometer in cluster that I believe was only on 98-99.. I need to buy a frame, as it has no title. I just dont want to start buying parts that are not right. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,897 Posts
Welcome. You’ve come to the right place however, we’ll need some pics. Post the VIN, a true 95 will say SC28 and have an S as the year designation.
Also, post pics of your frame and swing arm. That will allow me to verify is it’s an SC28 or SC33.

If the frame is in fact a 95, then you have an SC33 engine, but it could be a 96-97 or 98-99, each having subtle differences.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your fast replies. I truly appreciate it. I know she dont look so hot now but she will be brought back to the glory days for sure. Couldn't beat it for a 100 bucks.

·
7,897 Posts
Ok, wow, you have a mess there, but here’s the skinnny.

95 frame, swing arm, tank

98-99 complete front end

98-99 SC33 engine and assumed harness

Keep all that in mind when ordering parts. The 98-99 front ends were different than all the other carbed 900’s.

Looking forward to you documenting your rebuild here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeez, only I would have such a mess lol. I know I need a frame for title reason. 98-99 is what I will order. I guess the proper swing arm as well or can I get away with the one I have? Will the rear shock and links I have work on 98-99? I guess with that said, I will need 98-99 plastics, stay and headlamp. Sorry for all the questions. Thank you so much for the info, it will definitely help me on the quest I'm about to embark on.

·
7,897 Posts
If you change to a 98-99 swing arm the wheel will need new spacers and may not fit properly (alignment).

If you change the just the frame, the swing arm and rear subframe won’t work (the main frame was changed slightly to accommodate a revised shock and mount).

So, if you go to a 98-99 frame, you might as well do the subframe, swing arm and rear wheel complete.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, gotcha. I wanted to do away with rear wheel because its polished. I want a black rear wheel. My front one is already. Everyone has preferences but 98-99 are my favorite, so that makes me happy that my major components are at least there. Engine still has oil in it and turns over manually(good start lol). And is bone dry, no leaks. This is a long term project. I'm not trying to build a crazy bike, stock basically with jets and new slip on. I always wanted a RR, I have had many bikes just never had the chance. Thank you for all your help so far guys, any and all of your professional knowledge is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gee, that sure fits the definition of 'barn find' in both condition and price. I'm guessing it will be a long-term project with a probable motor strip down, or at least inspection?
Yeah it definitely is but I want to do a full restoration to her ultimate beauty, the RR. DEFINITELY one of best looking and riding bikes of all time. I'm stoked I have one

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Danm, that's ok. I just found a swing arm, rear shock, good rim, sprocket, links, full rear brakes for a 98 for 175 bucks. Can't complain. Found a 99 frame with clean title for 590 to door, not wrecked. Are those prices fair to you?

·
7,897 Posts
The smaller parts seems like a very good price, the frame however, I feel is pretty high. But I don't know the market right now. I would say 400 plus shipping would be fair. But if its a deal you can make now, going for it isn't horrible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm definitely buying the complete rear with sets. I need a rear brake lever anyway, bent. I was thinking maybe I should get her running before I buy big stuff. What if the engine is humped? Then I'm S.O.L.... I thank you for such fast responses. I use to belong to a busa forum, (no names mentioned) but took days sometimes. I have a 12 hayabusa LE addition. All stock except for carbon r77 slip ons

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly, I see that lots of parts are either cheap Chinese stuff or some ruff used stuff. If all goes well, stator cover has a little rash. Man I hope that's all I need. I know carbs need a refresh for sure. I found plenty of rebuild kits and I have synchronized gauges for tuning. Now I found a TPS on carbs, I read that's only 98-99 right?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts