Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been abused a bit, but engine and frame are good. Last guy must have wanted a Yamaha, because he painted it blue 馃槕. Luckily, I have an extra gas tank to put on it, or, I may turn this one into a Repsol clone. I bought it just to have spare parts, but it has less miles on it than mine. I was going to buy a fairing kit for mine, so now I'll get two sets and take advantage of the discount for buying multiple. I think she deserves to be put back to spec, hate to see them slammed and turned into clownmobiles.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unfortunately, the swingarm has a ton of scratches on the chain side, either the guy locked the bike with a chain through the swing arm, or the bike's chain broke, or he just sucked at replacing chains. I don't know if I'll be able to buff those out. Typical goon's bike, all looks and no idea how to work on it. Missing mirrors and slip on. Braided rear brake line, but it's way too long. Hardware store bolts here and there, you guys know the deal. Dummy even spray painted the headlight lens to "tint" it.

I'm in no hurry with this bike and I have no real plans or goals, just going to dig into it, make a list of things it needs, and go from there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe at one time it had an extended swingarm. Turn it into a drag and get a turbo for it. I mean I'm a knee dragger myself but straight line speed is fun too. Keep your other one for the twists.
I thought about a power commander, maybe some other mods. Actually I was thinking making it a bit more sporty, rearsets, cowl rear seat, GP style exhaust. Either way it will be fun. I'll keep the thread going with updates when I go pick it up.

Registered
I had a 2001 929RR Erion I purchased new and about 2 years ago sold, I had back issues and thought that was the end. After some surgery and recovery time I purchased a second 929RR erion just like the first one about 6 months ago. I really like the 929, its a perfect bike for me with low weight and great balance and feel.I do like to change the bars and triple clamp for a more upright feel and look, I find it much more comfy that way.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Premium Member
I had a 2001 929RR Erion I purchased new and about 2 years ago sold, I had back issues and thought that was the end. After some surgery and recovery time I purchased a second 929RR erion just like the first one about 6 months ago. I really like the 929, its a perfect bike for me with low weight and great balance and feel.I do like to change the bars and triple clamp for a more upright feel and look, I find it much more comfy that way. View attachment 110133

If you ever want to sell that Erion slip on muffler PM me. Very interested.

Registered
If you ever want to sell that Erion slip on muffler PM me. Very interested.
I tell ya, that pipe has a gnarly sound and it's plenty loud, the exhaust diverter valve system has also been removed and replaced with a straight-through system. My first 929 had a Micron Carbon fibre canister, i must say if they were still available I would perhaps consider taking the Erion out, but Micron is out of buisness and finding a suitable used canister in good condition is a daunting task so far. Attached is a foto of my 1st 929.

Attachments

Registered
It's a nice pipe. I'll have to think about what my next move is, to be honest, I really like the Carbon Fibre body of the Micron and other systems. It's a looks thing.
I will give your idea some thought though.
Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys, I made a video on youtube about bringing the bike home and going over the state of the bike. I found a surprise in the trunk. Hope you guys like it:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, update on the blue blade. I've acquired a lot of parts including the new fairings.

However, I made a tragic discovery yesterday. I took the old fairings off, used a whole can of brakeclean spray cleaning off the underside of the crankcase, and found out the previous owner had cracked the crankcase on the stator side. Looks like a hard crash, without frame slider pegs, is what did it.

I'm an idiot. I should have made the connection when I saw all the RTV around the spray-painted stator cover. I knew it was crashed, but I figured the guy was just lazy and used RTV instead of the right gasket. Nope. He used the RTV to fill in the damage to the lip of the crankcase. I looked on ebay at pulled 929 motors for sale, and sure enough, many of them with RTV around the stator covers are crashed engines with cracked crankcases.

I think he alumi-bonded it. The two-part epoxy stuff. It's not JB weld, because there is a layer of actual JB weld on top of the alumi-bond repair. As though the first repair didnt fix it, so JB weld was added on top to try and get it to seal. Maybe the original repair is an actual aluminum weld...

Kind of takes the wind out of my sails. The water pump is leaking too. I've cleaned the entire underside with brakeclean and put a piece of cardboard under the bike. I'm going to see how much leaks overnight and try to spot exactly where the damage is.

I might be able to save it. I can dremel away all the garbage repair putty and start over. It looks like the bottom stator cover bolt hole in the case is completely gone. It looks like he built up the JB weld/alumi-bond putty to make a tab, drilled a hole in it, and ran a hardware store bolt through the bottom and put a nut on the backside. That's not going to work because you can't put torque on a JB weld repair, it's going to be too soft, and will pull and split, and then leak.

So I don't know. Maybe the blue blade is just a complete parts bike now... I could wait for a used engine in good shape to pop up on ebay. The lower crank cases I see for sale are all damaged in some way. many with the same damage as mine. They actually still sell OEM crankcases for the 929! Partszilla or one of those sites with an OEM catalog has them, top and bottom as a set, for around $2400.

So, if I want to really get into it, I could rebuild the engine. I have the Haynes manual. It would be cool to fully restore it, knowing it will be as close to a new 929 as I could get. It's a lot of money, I know, but I'd consider it. Rebuilding an engine is something I could do inside my house over the winter, I'm in no hurry.

I'll post pictures in the morning.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That really looks a bit Frankenstein
Yeah it's pretty ugly. I saw a lot worse on ebay. I'm thinking the way the exhaust bolt is also sheered flat, that he crashed it while it was lowered and didn't have frame pegs on. There's no way those bolts would touch the ground if it were normal height.

I might try "alumaloy". I remember it from old late night infomercials. Aluminum solder sticks basically that you apply with a torch. If it's just the bottom screw tab, I can build it back up, file it, and drill/tap it. That might be what the first repair is, but JB weld is on top of it. A bad first repair, or maybe a second crash. This poor bike...

Registered
I tell ya, that pipe has a gnarly sound and it's plenty loud, the exhaust diverter valve system has also been removed and replaced with a straight-through system. My first 929 had a Micron Carbon fibre canister, i must say if they were still available I would perhaps consider taking the Erion out, but Micron is out of buisness and finding a suitable used canister in good condition is a daunting task so far. Attached is a foto of my 1st 929.
I love the look and sound of my Micron bolt on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome I will, thanks for the suggestion. The alumaloy video part 3 on YouTube is essentially the process. I just hope I don't discover hairline cracks under all that garbage or a separated chunk of block.
I love the look and sound of my Micron bolt on.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Agreed, I noticed that too while shopping for my second exhaust. I managed to get a used oem header to midpipe section in good condition for $150, but slip on canisters are few and expensive. The Hindle has a nice sound, a lot like a Two Brothers. Hopefully I can see what this cheapo unbranded one sounds like soon.

President: Team Full Chat
Yes @IanDoohan did the same thing by building it up ,looked a good job too, cant remember what build it was on so check his builds out.(y)
I had to repair the case on my 99 track build. It鈥檚 documented in here somewhere lol. I used a small chunk from a bad CRF450 engine case a buddy had lying around. In hind sight, I should have used something a little thicker, but it worked. Had it professionally welded in, then I shaped it and it worked pretty good. The build in my signature is a link to it
Auto part Machine Nut Vehicle brake Metal

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part Gas

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Crankset Bicycle part Motor vehicle

Hand Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Gear

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 24 Posts