Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I had to repair the case on my 99 track build. It’s documented in here somewhere lol. I used a small chunk from a bad CRF450 engine case a buddy had lying around. In hind sight, I should have used something a little thicker, but it worked. Had it professionally welded in, then I shaped it and it worked pretty good. The build in my signature is a link to it View attachment 110541
View attachment 110542
View attachment 110539
View attachment 110543
View attachment 110540
That looks great! Yeah I'm not sure how much is missing under all the crap. I'll drain the fluids and get into it more. Suppose I could buy a cheap damaged bottom crank case from ebay and cut one of the good tabs off it, then it will be the same spec material and bolt hole. I appreciate the photos and the feedback.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here is what it looks like after I took the cover off and sanded off the JB weld. The oil came out looking like oil, the coolant was a little dark and maybe a little oily.

So it looks like a crappy aluminum weld repair. There was no gasket, only RTV. A little JB weld inside I haven't chipped away yet, not sure if that is just overflow or a crack patch.
Automotive tire Jaw Motor vehicle Gas Art
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior
Crankset Gear Bicycle part Rim Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive design Wheel

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think the fact there was no gasket and only RTV is why it was leaking, out of the bottom bolt hole. Threads are stripped, tab has split. It may actually hold oil fine if the weld isn't porus anywhere. I scratched around for hairline cracks and didn't see any.

I think if I sand the face as flat as possible, checking with a metal fabricator's ruler, I could get the gasket to seal. Maybe a small smearing of RTV too? Also thought about wrapping that bottom hardware store bolt in Teflon tape just to be sure.

What do you guys think?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts