Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days back I noticed a strange and loud rattle coming from my bike (96 900RR). It is apparent when I'm riding in any gear from 4.5K RPM and above. It does not rattle when cursing but when I apply slight throttle to have a slight acceleration it is apparent and is quite loud. If I apply a heavy throttle it goes away. It at first sounded like it was coming from my front sprocket. I took the front sprocket cover off and verified the sprocket was nice and snug. I also looked at all the cosmetic bolts and verified they were all tight too. I also started my bike up and while parked I revved the engine and couldn't hear anything. Which I was expecting because it only seems to appear when the bike(engine) is under slight load. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions of what I should check?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Don't know if it applies in your case, but I had the cam chain tensioner start to rattle on my 929 and in the same circumstances as you mentioned, after it was replaced it was all good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that. I'm curious though, if it is the cam chain wouldn’t it still occur when I rev the engine in neutral?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I wanted to add that the bike has 25,000 miles on the clock. If that counts for anything.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Does it rattle when you pull the clutch in? It sounds to me like it's load related. I'd suspect the drive chain first. It could be too tight, worn out or out of line. My next guess would be CCT as has been stated already.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
ibAdam : It does not rattle when cursing ...
hee hee...couldn't resist.

Yeah, check the cam chain. A friend was mentioning the same rattling noise on her bike. It was the cam chain. That was replaced and all was quiet.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Does that model have the HTEV? they are famous for making alot of noise. Maybe it rattles while you are cruising because it's closed and when you open the throttle fast or increase your speed it's open. There could be enough tension on the cable in the open position to keep it from rattling.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ratter, Joel, HondGal and CBRJack!

The drive chain and sprockets are new. They only have about 2000 miles on them. As for the HTEV valve I know it doesn't have it. I thought maybe it was the Cat but the '96s didn't come with a Cat. I also tried today riding at about 65mph while in sixth gear and pulling in the clutch and slowly revving the engine. I couldn't get the sound to come back. But when I released the clutch and sped back up the rattle was there again. If it was the cam chain tensionor how could it react to engine load? I figure it doesn't see the stress of the load like the pistons or transmissions so how could it be this? Also if it was the cam chain tensionor would it still make noise while revving the bike in neutral?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a friend check out my bike and he too thinks it's he cam chain tensionors ner. A few questions:

1) Are there aftermarket cam chain tensionors that may be better made (something in titanium)?

2) Is there any harm being done if my cam chain is lose? Should I park the bike until fixed or can I drive it around?

3) What is the cost of replacement for one of these? I went to my dealer and was talking with one of the service guys and he was guessing 5 hours labor plus parts!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
My cct would not rattle in neutral just on a cruise situation and slight load.
Mine was replaced under warranty so I have no idea of cost or quality

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Don't be too afraid about riding it, but get it sorted out as soon as you can

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
ibAdam : Also I wanted to add that the bike has 25,000 miles on the clock. If that counts for anything.
OH GOOD GOD MAN!  It's a cam-chain equipped Honda!  Get that tensioner replaced!

Edit: Seriously. My F2 had the saaaaaaame problem. About every 10k miles I'd have to get a new one installed and I finally got a manually adjustable one (for about 1/4 the price of the factory bit) but I sold the bike (with the new tensioner in a box that I handed the dude and explained what needed to be done).

Sounds like classic Honda cam-chain tension failure. Man.. when will they get that crap sorted out? Even the 929's are showing problems with them... STILL!?!?!! I wonder how many 54's will have it when they get some more miles on them.

No wonder 1/2 the guys on this boart went to RC's!

·
Registered
106 Posts
It does not rattle when cursing

Maybe you should curse all of the time when riding, then it won't sound so bad.

Spank her once for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beyote : It does not rattle when cursing

Well if only it were that easy. Now it is getting worse and rattling most of the time under any circumstance. Any one have any input on the following:

1) Are there aftermarket cam chain tensionors that may be better made (something in titanium or such)?

2) What is the cost of replacement for one of these?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
ibAdam : Quote (Beyote @ Sep. 07 2003, 12:37pm)It does not rattle when cursing

Well if only it were that easy. Now it is getting worse and rattling most of the time under any circumstance. Any one have any input on the following:

1) Are there aftermarket cam chain tensionors that may be better made (something in titanium or such)?

2) What is the cost of replacement for one of these?

When the tensioner went out on my F2 there was a nice manualy adjustable and inexpensive unit commonly available on the net. Might even be the same part! Cost me about $20 for it.

Sold the bike before I installed it though but everyone on my old CBR600 list swore by the mod.

Google away, I'm sure you'll find some out there. I don't think you need any high-tech metals. A little aluminum and a steel bolt is all the aftermarket part was made of.

Here, this is basically what mine looked like and they have one for just about all the CBR's (since they all seem to suck this way).

SUDCO APE - Cam Chain Products

·
Registered
700 Posts
Holeshot is spot-on.  I did the same mod on several F2's and went to the manual cam chain tensioner.  I saw one F2 motor jump time and swallow a few valves because a tech forgot to 'prime' the OEM unit.

Look into the 900rr to see if the same type unit is available.  Hopefully, you won't have to go through the trouble of replacing the cam chain.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info on the Sudco!

I looked into both the OEM cam chain tensioner and Sudco's cam chain tensioner. The OEM was $79 while the Sudco was $39 and won't need to be replaced every 25K. Do you guys know if the Sudco CCT comes with operation instuctions. I'm afraid I may over tighten it or set it to loose. Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Did your stealer service rep mention anything about that 5 hours labor coming with a tube of Vaseline?
It would take a drunk moron about 45 min to install. Anyone with the ability to use a wrench well can replace one in a half hour.
The adjustable units work well and are hard to mess up. And it should come with the instructions.
The oil operated OEM units work well until the slightest bit of imperfection wedges inside it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BDA, yeah I thought 5 hours was over kill. They told me they would have to take the valve cover off and inspect the chain and guides and other misc stuff. Which I still think even 3 hours would be over kill for that! Oh well I'm going to do it my self and get the experience.

I bought the Sudco and have installed it. But I haven't adjusted it yet. I was hoping to see if anyone has any input on the adjustment. The instructions say to install the cam chain tensioner and the remove the valve cover gasket to measure the chain slack. Is this necessary? I was think of installing is and just tightening up the CCT until the noise goes away. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts