Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
]Just baught a 2009 Ninja 250r(complete newb on sportbikes) since my 18th birthday is on Oct. 19th I decided to buy me my girl. Well she was awesome and worked without any issues the evening I brought her home(so glad my parents liked her). Well today I come home after work and see her laying on the side!:eek:(don't know how long she been that way) and a lake of gas/oil around her:crying: I quickly picked her up(not a scratch on her:huh:) and gave her about 10 min then tried starting her...all i got was a clicking noise like when the car battery was dead and you tried starting it. I WAS SO MAD! and then my 4 year old brother comes in garage and says "Viktor im sowy I dwoped your motowcycle:huh:" I was just so mad I didn't know what to do so I just told him that we will talk about it later so I don't yell at a child. Well I srtipped her down got to plugs wipped hem clean(ish) but I honestly Didnt know what I was doing... well long story short didnt work. So I just got her to the nearest hill on my street, put her on 1st and BOOM! She worked!:rotfl: Made couple of laps around the block, came home killed the switch and started her...WORKED! Repeated about 2-3 more times and it worked!:thumb: so now I dont know what to tell my little bro...:huh:
(Ignore my messy garage lol)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
]Just baught a 2009 Ninja 250r(complete newb on sportbikes) since my 18th birthday is on Oct. 19th I decided to buy me my girl. Well she was awesome and worked without any issues the evening I brought her home(so glad my parents liked her). Well today I come home after work and see her laying on the side!:eek:(don't know how long she been that way) and a lake of gas/oil around her:crying: I quickly picked her up(not a scratch on her:huh:) and gave her about 10 min then tried starting her...all i got was a clicking noise like when the car battery was dead and you tried starting it. I WAS SO MAD! and then my 4 year old brother comes in garage and says "Viktor im sowy I dwoped your motowcycle:huh:" I was just so mad I didn't know what to do so I just told him that we will talk about it later so I don't yell at a child. Well I srtipped her down got to plugs wipped hem clean(ish) but I honestly Didnt know what I was doing... well long story short didnt work. So I just got her to the nearest hill on my street, put her on 1st and BOOM! She worked!:rotfl: Made couple of laps around the block, came home killed the switch and started her...WORKED! Repeated about 2-3 more times and it worked!:thumb: so now I dont know what to tell my little bro...:huh:
(Ignore my messy garage lol)

That's a kid that has a ton of respect for his big brother! Most kids I've known would be blaming the dog :)
Give him a hug from me too!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just be glad it didn't fall on him and serious hurt him or worse! You should get a rear stand and park it on that. Makes the bike much more stable when parked compared to the side stand.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I would just tell him good job for telling you and to be more careful. Give him a big hug and let him know he's not on your sh*t list.. yet =P Also, welcome to the wonderful world of riding!! Be sure to check your oil levels make sure coolant didn't find its way into the oil..

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
That's a kid that has a ton of respect for his big brother! Most kids I've known would be blaming the dog :)
Just be glad it didn't fall on him and serious hurt him or worse! You should get a rear stand and park it on that. Makes the bike much more stable when parked compared to the side stand.
:plus1::plus1: Sounds like a good kid! Sucks, but accidents do happen, I'm sure curiousity just got the better of him. Let him help you wipe it down, it'll make him feel included.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yeah, give the kid a pass. I remember I was going to wash my Dad's LTD 750 when I was real little. I struggled with trying to move it then it fell over on me when I got it onto the grass. Man, I was so scared. I was trapped under that thing for like an hour thinking he's gonna kill me. He was pissed but pretty cool about. After he lifted it and set me free, he told me to wash it so he could look for scratches!

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I'da told him that I at least made sure it had a soft landing =P

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

That's a good point. Make sure you warn him about the hot engine, brake discs and exhaust system as well. I'm always worrying about kids touching my bikes when they're hot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My daughter has 500 Ninja and it tipped over a couple of times. The side stand was a little too long which made the bike stand up really straight. A hard wind would blow it over. I cut about 3/4" off the stand and welded it back together. Hasn't fallen over since.

·
Registered
733 Posts

I bet that's a kid that was riding like the wind. Probably climbed all the way to the top of the bike, leaning over twisting the grip, hair blowing in the wind and then whoa.........., oh no. I'm I in trouble now. But for those few moments when he was up there on the powerband, leading the pack, he was the man. :clap:. No one could catch him.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
^^ haha, didn't even think about that.... priceless...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did give him a hug guys...I was pretty darn mad cuz i bought her a day before but accidents happen for sure so whatever lol This little guy is like me...always about bikes... She was lucky to land on the tip of the mattress that was standing there so no scratches :)
Btw do 250s supposed to jerk(jump) forward a little when you give it alittle throttle?(in any gear) its bothering me a little, I hope her transmission is ok.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I did give him a hug guys...I was pretty darn mad cuz i bought her a day before but accidents happen for sure so whatever lol This little guy is like me...always about bikes... She was lucky to land on the tip of the mattress that was standing there so no scratches :)
Btw do 250s supposed to jerk(jump) forward a little when you give it alittle throttle?(in any gear) its bothering me a little, I hope her transmission is ok.

Not sure what you mean, I would expect all bikes to jerk forward when you twist the throttle, that's what it's for :)

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
4 years old. Probably scared the whole time until he saw you and told of His misfortune with your bike. Good that you hugged him. He will remember that. I think its okay that you were pissed a bit. Anybody would. Not everybody would handle this well. You, apparently did. Anyone who is somewhat grown up can remember they're past experience, and maybe be real, when someone young learn's the hard way. Fortunately, he wasn't stuck for an hour like someone else.
Kids learn from us older dummies:eek: Adults, I meant Adults.:D, all the way to 6 years of age, then they start forming their own ideas. Please give your younger brother the best you got.
As for the jerk forward in any gear; This may just be a clutch engagement to soon. As in; you might need an adjustment on the clutch. There might not be enough slack in the cable adjustment. When you pull the clutch lever, there should be at the very least about a 1/4 inch of travel before you feel any clutch spring resistance on the clutch lever. Some people prefer a 1/2 inch of travel on the clutch lever before any resistance can be felt. Then it is just getting used to the engagement timing/feel of the clutch after the proper adjustment.:)

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
My clutch is very very tight, you only need pull it in about 1/2 inch to fully disengage the clutch. This makes for one minor issue though, if you rev the bike up with the clutch in it tends to still make contact (somehow) and will pull just a hair bit. I prefer it like this as downshifting with the clutch becomes a lot easier. I am not sure why she would jerk hard though when starting out. I would look at how your shifting first. If you have too much throttle while letting out the clutch that would certainly give you a little jolt forward? If she isn't winding down fast enough it would do the same thing (carry too much rpm over).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4 years old. Probably scared the whole time until he saw you and told of His misfortune with your bike. Good that you hugged him. He will remember that. I think its okay that you were pissed a bit. Anybody would. Not everybody would handle this well. You, apparently did. Anyone who is somewhat grown up can remember they're past experience, and maybe be real, when someone young learn's the hard way. Fortunately, he wasn't stuck for an hour like someone else.
Kids learn from us older dummies:eek: Adults, I meant Adults.:D, all the way to 6 years of age, then they start forming their own ideas. Please give your younger brother the best you got.
As for the jerk forward in any gear; This may just be a clutch engagement to soon. As in; you might need an adjustment on the clutch. There might not be enough slack in the cable adjustment. When you pull the clutch lever, there should be at the very least about a 1/4 inch of travel before you feel any clutch spring resistance on the clutch lever. Some people prefer a 1/2 inch of travel on the clutch lever before any resistance can be felt. Then it is just getting used to the engagement timing/feel of the clutch after the proper adjustment.:)
Thank you, yeah I guess we both learned our lesson :)
When I bought her, I release the clutch and give it throttle about 2.5-3 rpm and it only starts to move in 3/4 position(if you would divide the clutch pull/release in 4) so that kind of bothers me, is her clutch burned or needs adjustment she only has 2.3k on her:huh: as for the jerkiness forward its now when I shift her when i cruise(let the throttle go) and then decide to add a little more speed she jumps forward and then goes as the I twist the throttle.:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My clutch is very very tight, you only need pull it in about 1/2 inch to fully disengage the clutch. This makes for one minor issue though, if you rev the bike up with the clutch in it tends to still make contact (somehow) and will pull just a hair bit. I prefer it like this as downshifting with the clutch becomes a lot easier. I am not sure why she would jerk hard though when starting out. I would look at how your shifting first. If you have too much throttle while letting out the clutch that would certainly give you a little jolt forward? If she isn't winding down fast enough it would do the same thing (carry too much rpm over).
I think I'd like to make mine 1/2 too, very true. but I pull mine all the way just to make sure I don't burn the clutch. its not just when starting out, or if I just shifted, its when I let the throttle go and cruise for a sec and then twist it a little for more speed it jerks forward and the goes as I twist the throttle. i give her 2.5-3 rpm to start and she goes pretty smooth. Btw if you read my other comment Do you think I'll need a new clutch or just an adjustment?
Thanks for all your support guys Y'all are Awesome!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts