Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last friday night. I was cruisin through town, mindin my own business. Goin about 45 or 50, and bam this doe runs out of nowhere. She lowered her head and ran right into my right leg between my ankle and knee. She hit me hard enough to slide my bike sideways about three feet. I still don't know how I managed to keep it upright. I pulled up on the sidewalk and rolled around for a couple minutes, while several people that saw what happened drove by. A guy on an R1 finally stopped and helped me get back on my bike and rode behind me until I got my bearings back. My leg is sore, but I don't think anything is broken, no real damage to the bike. Some fur stuck into weird places and one crack where see bounced off the tail section. That was my excitement for the weekend. I guess this story doesn't have a point, but that is by far the strangest thing that has ever happened to me on a bike.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Damn! Glad to hear that you came out of that OK! That is the single most dreaded fear I have in the
twisties - aminals! (misspelled intentionally). Imagine running over a snake in the middle of a high speed corner - might as well hit a glob of snot!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
What is it with Deer? A friend of mine wrote off his 954 after hitting a feer a fe wmonths back - not to mention the video with the F4i that wa sposted here.

Glad oyu are ok and held it up

Z...

·
Registered
929 Posts
showmethebombs : glad your ok!  that happens up here all the time!  Moose are even pretty common up here!
You have animals regularly charging motorcyclists as they ride by?! Thats when its the animal population is obviously trying to tell humans to get the he11 away from their domain.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That is my biggest fear on my bike. The area I live in is in the middle of state game lands. Hunters come from all over the place to hunt around here. There are lots of great roads for riding, but all of those roads have lots of deer waiting to ruin your day. I have had collisions with 4 deer while driving my 4 wheeled vehicles since moving here just under 8 years ago. Three deer have actually run into the side of my vehicle. One ran out in front of me and I had no chance. I try to avoid riding early mornings and towards night time. That's when they are most often seen on the roads.

Glad to hear you're ok. I believe this is a form of suicide bombings on the part of the deer! These terrorists must be stopped!

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Zeeman : What is it with Deer? A friend of mine wrote off his 954 after hitting a feer a fe wmonths back - not to mention the video with the F4i that wa sposted here.

Glad oyu are ok and held it up

Z...
Looks like we need to send Z back to typing class. He's getting bad again

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Glad you're Ok, Half.

A deer t-boned by stepdad's pickup in a similar fashion. Caved in the passenger side door, then got caught on the new edge created by the exposed door jam and spun around to cave in the bed for most of its length.

They're nice to look at, but I don't think they're the smartest critters.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
So... whaddya have to eat for the next few days?

Heh heh, good that you made out alright

OK, so critters are a problem. Has anyone had any success with repellents, namely the cheap ultrasonic whistles, or other thingamabobs?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
i am glad you are ok man. take care of that leg

just the other day i almost got hit by a gang of wild turkeys. i saw them up ahead on the side and slowed down and they ran right in front of me.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Glad you're OK. I had a frigging deer just miss running into the side of me on my mt bike last winter. Scared the crap outta me.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Good thing it wasn't a mulie.
I hit a doe a few years back in my Accord doing 70ish.
Accord = totalled
Deer = broken back hip. She was wiggling around on the ground, couldn't walk or run and was in obvious pain. It sucked hearing her whine, so the Sheriff that showed up popped her in the head twice and took it home.
I've also seen the remains of a 900RR that had the opportunity of smacking one up the canyon. There wasn't much left of the bike.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wow & a few more wow's. In most cases a bike is totalled & often the rider is killed or badly injured. Only a few make it through to tell the story of survival. You were so lucky & fortunately had the strength to stay upright.
Pity you will not have a battle scar to show in later yrs, but I'd prefer to have NO battle scars yet lots of riding & not going down----unfortunately I have the battle scars.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Leg bruised, still swollen, but usable.

Bubba,
I just about wacked a turkey or 20 last week, man that would suck if one of those stupid birds flew up about head high at 70. All the critters are starting to move around here, it's been dry and hot. It's also getting close to fall so everything is out getting fat for winter.

BDA,
It was a whitetail, thank God. Mule deer around here get big, not as big as Utah. But big.

2OHOH,
After I got stopped, I looked back to see if one of the cars behind me had hit the deer. She was out cold for about 15 secs., then jumped up and took off. I guess my leg softened the blow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts